Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #281
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
Advice:
Please be careful when the tires are cold: they have little to no grip. ...

It's just so cold in Cleveland these days...
Quote:
Another discovery: if you accelerate a bit harder (not flooring it - you don't have to and I never did), it spins the wheels in second and sometimes in third gear (even in level2 - sport). If you're in second it's a bit scary- it wags the tail - controllable, unless you're turning. My new rule is to only accelerate harder in third gear, and even then, not in corners as it will get away from under you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
So, are you saying the ZL1 has trouble putting it's power down to the pavement on the stock Goodyears? I thought that was an issue reserved for certain other 550+ HP ponywars.
No. He's implying what the manufacturer has also stated, and what most of us already know, and that is that Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 Summer Tires are not recommended for Winter use, and that those tires used under cold conditions will not provide good traction regardless of the vehicle on which they are mounted.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #282
BigCee66
I Design stuff ;)

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray 2SS Camaro
Wow Mr.R too bad we dont have the weather we had a couple of weeks ago. Man was it perfect for your ride. But itll be warm again soon so be patient ( I know easier said than done right?) and congrats!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #283
jaggedx

Drives: Lots of stuff plus a 2012 Black ZL1
#343 is in Phoenix, Don't know how long it will take to get it off the rail car and across town but i am pretty excited! it looks like I should start saving for new tires already.
jaggedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #284
mickey123456

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Come on guys! There are tons of you posting pictures, but there needs to be more of you posting your driving impressions! I know what it looks like! I don't know how it drives
mickey123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #285
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
So if you're patient enough to wait for the tires towarm up, at least you won't lose traction in third.... If you go about 2000 rpm and accelerate strongly to 4000rpm in second gear, you will lose traction for about 2-3 seconds. It is extremely powerful. I love it. Remember, this is in mode 2, going below 4000rpm. I can't imagine what it does in mode 5 at full throttle.

I am impressed with how good the ride is in a car like this. It absorbs the road imperfections pretty good and once the tires are warmer(it's still in the 50's here), it glues to the road very well. You can easily drive it with one hand which is great. It inspiresalotof confidence . You just need to be patient and learn more about its character before you push it.
I am glad to hear this from you because I was getting a little concerned. Your first posts about how the car easily slipped away from you made me wonder if it was the car's power or just cold tires with no grip.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #286
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
#413 is home and all I can say is awesome ride........Got 21 avg mpg on the way home......
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #287
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgdave View Post
#413 is home and all I can say is awesome ride........Got 21 avg mpg on the way home......
Good to hear!
Thanks for posting, keep the reports coming.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #288
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

Drives: '11 SS/RS LS3
WOW! I hope nobody takes this wrong But I think I know what the V6 owners felt like for the past couple years when the SS owners talked about thier cars. Im Jealous. ZL1s are Fn insane. I Want one.

Gray #82 was at the dealership I bought my car from and it looked way better than any pictures ive seen so far. Pics dont do this car any justice.
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #289
kush396

Drives: chevy
This car is way more than i was ever anticipating, the first ride from the dealer was ultra grin just like everybody said and the grunt of this car is incredible and thats just under 4000 rpms and i can't imagine what the power band will be like after 4000 rpm , just like Scott said u won't unhappy with this car , great power ,great looks, Drake just be patient u are in the home stretch and will be very happy trust me the only thing that sucks is the break dust more than usual and that really stinks with a white car ......SO HAPPPPPPPPY.:t humbup::thumbu p::th umbup::thumbup ::thu mbup: :drin king::drin king:
kush396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #290
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Driving impressions was the OP's question. Here it goes. I had a bewildering case of glazed over eyes taking possession of my ZL1 at the dealership. Like it was Christmas, all major Holidays, my wedding day, my kids birth's...you name it, all rolled up into one. It was surealistic. Driving the car home I felt like the car was driven from Pocono International Raceway and left at the dealership. Wheres the helmet I thought. I turned the steering wheel sharply side to side at 50 MPH and the only feeling I had other than my hand turning the wheel was that my eyes saw the road move from right to left and back and forth. Amazing. The power, stance, look, sound, and feel and are light years beyond anything one has ever experienced from the factory. And that's with obeying all speed limits and laws just on the drive home under heavy traffic conditions. This isn't just a car, it's an entity. I can't wait to break it in under factory recommendations and open it up.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #291
OldScoolCamaro

I wanted to drive the car today but didn't have enough time. I backed it out of the shop, took some pics, and read a bit of the manual. I couldn't figure out the footwell and cupholder lighting option, so I went online and guess where I found my answer. Camaro5! Here's the post http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=footwell After I got it going I took the wife out to show her. We sat in the car together for the first time. The seats are extremely comfortable. Everything about the car goes together like hand in glove. She commented how nice this car would be comfort wise to take a long trip with. I agree. The radio is outstanding. The first XM song was Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin, and then Man on the Moon by R.E.M. We sat in comfort and listened to the songs at high volume while checking out the cabin. This car is too much. Awesome.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #292
KaotiK

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I wanted to drive the car today but didn't have enough time. I backed it out of the shop, took some pics, and read a bit of the manual. I couldn't figure out the footwell and cupholder lighting option, so I went online and guess where I found my answer. Camaro5! Here's the post http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=footwell After I got it going I took the wife out to show her. We sat in the car together for the first time. The seats are extremely comfortable. Everything about the car goes together like hand in glove. She commented how nice this car would be comfort wise to take a long trip with. I agree. The radio is outstanding. The first XM song was Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin, and then Man on the Moon by R.E.M. We sat in comfort and listened to the songs at high volume while checking out the cabin. This car is too much. Awesome.
listening to you describe your joy almost brings a tear to my eye... for real! My car was delivered yesterday, but im working till thursday morning and the wait is killing me! I'm having dreams about my car and what it is going to be like! I'll post my impression of it when I actually take delivery of the beast!
2012 ZL1 #478, BLACK, 6 SPD MANUAL, EXPOSED CARBON FIBER HOOD, BLACK 10 SPOKE WHEELS, SUNROOF, SUEDED APP. PACKAGE.

1000 Initial Order 11/29/2011Doug Marshall Chevrolet
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/29/2011 - QBFFHK
2000 Order accepted by GM: 01/24/2012
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 01/24/2012TPW - 03/05/2012
3100 Sequenced: 02/20/2012
3300 Scheduled For Production:02/20/2012
3400 Broadcast: 02/22/2012
3800 Produced: 03/07/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 03/07/2012
4200 Shipped: 04/05/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 04/13/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 04/19/2012
KaotiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #293
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaotiK View Post
listening to you describe your joy almost brings a tear to my eye... for real! My car was delivered yesterday, but im working till thursday morning and the wait is killing me! I'm having dreams about my car and what it is going to be like! I'll post my impression of it when I actually take delivery of the beast!
Emotional roller coaster ride for me so far with out having really done much. It's a powerful entity. Thanks for your kind words, and I anticipate the joy and emotions that will be envoked in you when you get your Beast. Please let us know everything! I can't wait to hear your impressions. Only a few more days.....and then...a case of Kaotik Ultra Grin!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #294
OldScoolCamaro

Come on guys and gals with cars already, jump in on this thread! Let us know your observations, how you feel, and what your thoughts are! OK...took mine out for the first time today after being nagged by the thought I haven't had any time to do so and said to my wife and son let's go. The car is a challenge due to low ground clearance getting in and out of driveways. If you are careful, it won't be an issue. If it is they make rubber driveway ramps readily available on the internet. I pulled mine out at a 45 degree angle and had no clearance problem. May I say first off this car is as comfortable, quiet, and smooth inside the cabin as you will find in a higher class priced touring car. Even at speed in excess of what's allowable it is so quiet and smooth you don't feel anything except for the engine, drivetrain, and exhaust confidently doing it's work in the background. It lets you know it's there, but not in an obtrusive way. I kept it under 4 grand as recommended, and put mostly interstate miles on it. The car effortlessly reaches any speed you wish and marches through MPH increments like a second hand on a watch. We reached a point where we turned off the radio because it was more enjoyable listening to car. Theres much more to this test drive but it will take a while to fully digest and give feedback on. I'm still all Ultra Grinned up. This car is amazing.

I would like to add this car has a regular three point factory belt harness. Under circumstances such as on or off ramps with high lateral loads, your body will shift in the seat and the car will hang in. I would suggest since this car can sustain G's as such GM should make a racing harness available. Also, be wary of the steering. It is positive. High speed manuevers take little to no effort. Very little travel on the steeing at speed accomplishes alot with the directional travel. Get used to the car. Brake it in slowly. Get accustomed to it. Also, the car retains much heat after riding it hard and putting it away wet. Take into consideration how and where you store the car after use.

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 04-15-2012 at 08:10 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote