Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 05-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
jeffgtx

Drives: sosltice
ZL1 stock wheel pressure

Hi.

Could one of you fortunate ZL1 owners post what the recommended tire pressure is for your goodyears on stock wheels from the door jam label?

thanks.

Jeff
jeffgtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
masterchiefbt
Muscle Maniac

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 CRT
32 psi front and rear

2012 Camaro ZL-1 CRT
VIN 2G1FJ1EPXC9800357/Arrived 4-21-2012
Reliable Chevrolet Richardson, Texas

Life is GOOD !
masterchiefbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
tfghung

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
is there nitrogen in the tires from the factory?
tfghung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfghung View Post
is there nitrogen in the tires from the factory?
No, GM does not put nitrogen in any of their tires, it is dealer profit only
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I normally run 35/35psi with excellent results including a full tank of Premium.

I have a sticker on my ZL1 that says: NITROGEN filled tires. Pressure changes are nominal. You don't get the typical 1lb psi for each 10°F change in ambient temperature or after running highway speeds like you would with conventional air that contains moisture from a compressor & screws with your sensors, eventually.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
I normally run 35/35psi with excellent results including a full tank of Premium.

I have a sticker on my ZL1 that says: NITROGEN filled tires. Pressure changes are nominal. You don't get the typical 1lb psi for each 10°F change in ambient temperature or after running highway speeds like you would with conventional air that contains moisture from a compressor & screws with your sensors, eventually.
That was added at the dealer level

GM's Position on the Use of Nitrogen Gas in Tires

General Motors does not oppose the use of purified nitrogen as an inflation gas for tires. We expect the theoretical benefits to be reduced in practical use due to the lack of an existing infrastructure to continuously facilitate inflating tires with nearly pure nitrogen. Even occasional inflation with compressed atmospheric air will negate many of the theoretical benefits. Given those theoretical benefits, practical limitations, and the robust design of GM original equipment TPC tires, the realized benefits to our customer of inflating their tires with purified nitrogen are expected to be minimal.

The Promise of Nitrogen: Under Controlled Conditions

Recently, nitrogen gas (for use in inflating tires) has become available to the general consumer through some retailers. The use of nitrogen gas to inflate tires is a technology used in automobile racing. The following benefits under controlled conditions are attributed to nitrogen gas and its unique properties:
• A reduction in the expected loss of Tire Pressure over time.
• A reduction in the variance of Tire Pressures with temperature changes due to reduction of water vapor concentration.
• A reduction of long term rubber degradation due to a decrease in oxygen concentrations.

Important: These are obtainable performance improvements when relatively pure nitrogen gas is used to inflate tires under controlled conditions.

The Promise of Nitrogen: Real World Use

Nitrogen inflation can provide some benefit by reducing gas migration (pressure loss) at the molecular level through the tire structure. NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) has stated that the inflation pressure loss of tires can be up to 5% a month. Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules and, therefore, are less prone to "seeping" through the tire casing. The actual obtainable benefits of nitrogen varies, based on the physical construction and the materials used in the manufacturing of the tire being inflated.
Another potential benefit of nitrogen is the reduced oxidation of tire components. Research has demonstrated that oxygen consumed in the oxidation process of the tire primarily comes from the inflation media. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that oxidation of tire components can be reduced if the tire is inflated with pure nitrogen. However, only very small amounts of oxygen are required to begin the normal oxidation process. Even slight contamination of the tire inflation gas with compressed atmospheric air during normal inflation pressure maintenance, may negate the benefits of using nitrogen.

GM Tire Quality, Technology and Focus of Importance Since 1972, General Motors has designed tires under the TPC (Tire Performance Criteria) specification system, which includes specific requirements that ensure robust tire performance under normal usage. General Motors works with tire suppliers to design and manufacture original equipment tires for GM vehicles. The GM TPC addresses required performance with respect to both inflation pressure retention, and endurance properties for original equipment tires. The inflation pressure retention requirements address availability of oxygen and oxidation concerns, while endurance requirements ensure the mechanical structure of the tire has sufficient strength. This combination has provided our customers with tires that maintain their structural integrity throughout their useful treadlife under normal operating conditions.
Regardless of the inflation media for tires (atmospheric air or nitrogen), inflation pressure maintenance of tires is critical for overall tire, and ultimately, vehicle performance. Maintaining the correct inflation pressure allows the tire to perform as intended by the vehicle manufacturer in many areas, including comfort, fuel economy, stopping distance, cornering, traction, treadwear, and noise. Since the load carrying capability of a tire is related to inflation pressure, proper inflation pressure maintenance is necessary for the tire to support the load imposed by the vehicle without excessive structural degradation.
Important: Regardless of the inflation media for tires (atmospheric air or nitrogen) inflation pressure maintenance of tires is critical for overall tire, and ultimately, vehicle performance.
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
jazznurse

Drives: 2012 ZL1;2011 Cruze
I have been using Nitrogen filled tires for autocross for a couple of seasons now, and I have found my pressures stay consistant throught the day. I no longer have to bleed off excessive pressure in between runs. My local tire shop fills an 11 gallon air tank for me to use to increase my presssure at the beginning of the day, and then I bleed off the excess before driving home. I plan on filling my tires with nitrogen when My ZL1 comes in this week.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
b_williams_82

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #142
Has anyone heard about nitrogen damaging the rim after some time?
b_williams_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
WS580
wseditions

Drives: 12callaway14Siliverado14RXFsport
I just put ZL1 Rims and tires on my callaway and run 32.5 fronts and 33 Rears and seems to feel good highway/city
WS580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_williams_82 View Post
Has anyone heard about nitrogen damaging the rim after some time?
air is made up of about 80% nitrogen as it is. if that were true, it wouldn't really matter.
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
I just my tires change to nitrogen, Costco did it. they also did not charge for the service. No pressure change on the way home.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
My tires were purged at the dealers and refilled with nitrogen - on their dollar. tt's part of their "package". My tire pressure varies 2 psi from a cool 65* morning to highway speeds at 87*.
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote