Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #43
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Agreed some of it is grease and road debris. What is undeniable is the rub marks on the blue portion of the flange that match up exactly with the rub marks on the heat sheild. I will upload more pics tomorrow and show that yes indeed that the blue flange has rub marks that expose new metal (silver in color) being carved out below the anodized/blue metal covering.

Common sense would tell you that I had the stock DS and no issues. I had the DSS CF DS installed and had virbrations being transmitted through the cabin. DSS called my installer and also confirmed that all the install was installed to spec (torque settings). Also had a seperate shop install gears, Pfadt diff bushings, JRE end caps and LPW diff cover and had them, with a recommendation from DSS, rotate the flange 180 degrees, and guess what...same vibrations are occuring. I'm not making this up nor attempting to bash any vendors.

I am merely putting this info out there as a few other members with both Al and CF DS's are having some similar issues. And yes the DSS is helping out in a capacity that they can.

Last edited by elsololobo02; 09-11-2012 at 09:50 PM.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #44
elsololobo02

Update... I got her up on some ramps this weekend and began the process of taking off the gas tank shielding. PITA, but I got it done. From the attached pics you will see where the flange connected to the diff was indeed rubbing and scoring the shielding and the shielding scoring the flange, both the blue and silver portions. All shielding was washed with a degreaser so grease and grime are not to be confused with the scoring marks.

If you were to split the sheilding in halves the passenger side had way more abrupt marks that the drivers side. Endstate is the vibrations are gone during city driving and I will be getting the car up to highway speeds tomorrow to find out if I have the same result at higher speeds.

Also the e-brake cables come close to the shaft since the shielding was removed, only near the diff area. I suggest to make small brackets to keep them snug in the tunnel brace to make sure you have good clearence from the DS. I used some zip ties and small brackets from a hardware store and secured them in the tunnel. Had about 1-1.25" of clearence once done. If you don't secure them they will rub against the shaft and make noise.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #45
elsololobo02

Update to the update...

So I got it up to highway speeds and no vibration issues. I would suggest that in the install instructions state that shielding may need to be removed if there is evidence of rubbing or excessive vibrations. Or maybe a blurb in a troubleshooting section with regards to torque settings, rotation of the flange 180 degrees and the the possbility of the flange rubbing against the shielding. That way people don't have to spend almost as much as the DS costs to get in installed/re-installed/re-installed plus their time to figure out what is going on at least with the V6 guys. I would figure that if you bought an aftermarket product it would have been tested through and through. Any other CF V6's having similiar issues???

Be advised that if the shielding is the problem and it is removed you will definately need to secure the E-brake cabling. Otherwise you will have the cabling rubbing against the DS and that noise is absolutely loud and different sounding than the rubbing of the flange, at all speeds. But if the shielding is removed and the cabling is secured tightly against the gas tank you will be good to go.

Last edited by elsololobo02; 09-19-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #46
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
A lot worse then it looked in your first pic, definitely some rubbing action there! Glad you got it solved. I came to the same conclusion as you when I removed my heat shield that the brake cables are a potential hazard, and also secured mine in the tunnel away from the shaft.
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #47
elsololobo02

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer72 View Post
A lot worse then it looked in your first pic, definitely some rubbing action there! Glad you got it solved. I came to the same conclusion as you when I removed my heat shield that the brake cables are a potential hazard, and also secured mine in the tunnel away from the shaft.
Kind of curious... You posted on September 11th that you had no issues "no rubs at all" but from you quote above you must of had issues with your V8 Al DS to remove your shielding and secure the E-brake cables. Did you have issues with your DS???
Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #48
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsololobo02 View Post
Kind of curious... You posted on September 11th that you had no issues "no rubs at all" but from you quote above you must of had issues with your V8 Al DS to remove your shielding and secure the E-brake cables. Did you have issues with your DS???
Nope, just wanted the 3 pounds. I don't have the same style of DS as you, so it's not even remotely close to the shield. It almost looks as if the pinion sits higher on the V6 differential vs the V8 diff.

Last edited by pouncer72; 09-20-2012 at 12:14 AM.
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive shaft, dss