Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #29
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 427 View Post
The pop/thump sounds may have something to do with the gap between the top strut retainer and the strut tower. My experience was, when I jacked the front up I would sometimes hear a mysterious thump or two. Couldn't find anything loose but I noticed that the gap between the strut tower and retainer was not there with the front jacked up. Trying to find out if this gap was normal, I ran into this thread...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=toilet+mod
The strut retaining plate functioned as designed when you lifted your Camaro. It retained the strut. The 10, 11 & 12 all use the same mount with the same 'gap'.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #30
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I fixed this problem by trading in my 2010 Camaro for a 2011 SS with the revised strut towers. Been over every road surface that used to make my 2010 sound like it was falling apart and not a single issue with the 2011. GM wouldn't have redesigned the strut towers if there wasn't a problem with the initial design used in the 2010.
I have the same issue on my 2012. Fixed only on SS's perhaps?
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #31
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The strut retaining plate functioned as designed when you lifted your Camaro. It retained the strut. The 10, 11 & 12 all use the same mount with the same 'gap'.
I realise that the gap was designed to allow the top of the strut to move around as the suspension works, but this "gap" may be the cause of some the noise complaints. See post 12 by BMRguy.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #32
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I get a very slight pop sound when at low speeds making a wide turn... but it is once in a blue moon.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #33
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Like many other people I have a popping sound that comes from my suspension when going up a steep incline (like a drive way) or going slow over speed bumpers and other rough areas. However I have aftermarket sways, end links and springs and have had them for over a year, and I cannot remember if I had this problem before I changed my suspension or not. Either way, it's good to hear other people have a similar issue and not just me.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #34
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
I have the same issue on my 2012. Fixed only on SS's perhaps?
No sir. There is no difference in the front suspension between the 6 and 8. The spring and damping rates are different, but they were in the 10 & 11. It is not a design or parts issue. It is a series of small things that can be addressed following the previously posted process.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #35
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Like many other people I have a popping sound that comes from my suspension when going up a steep incline (like a drive way) or going slow over speed bumpers and other rough areas. However I have aftermarket sways, end links and springs and have had them for over a year, and I cannot remember if I had this problem before I changed my suspension or not. Either way, it's good to hear other people have a similar issue and not just me.
The only issue you would have with your aftermarket parts that is different from OE is found in the spherical endlinks. Sphericals can make noise even when properly installed. You can trouble shoot that by disconnecting one endlink bolt. This disables the sway bar. CAREFULLY secure the disconnected endlink. Wrap all the sphericals in electrical or duct tape to prevent them from 'rattling' while unloaded. Take a CAUTIOUS test drive to check for noise. Why cautious? Your front sway bar is disconnected creating a drastic change in handling. If this does not alter the noise it is not an endlink. We go back and follow the trouble shooting process.

There is also a possibility the lowering coils could be making a noise. We have seen some points of contact between the lower front coil winds and the OE spring perch in some aftermarket coils. By removing the front tires and inspecting the coils for points of contact or unusual wear in the powder coating you should be able to confirm or eliminate the coils as a source of your noise.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #36
JusticePete

Then take it off for a test drive and confirm the plate to be guilty as charged or let him walk free.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #37
R1jamn

Drives: 2015 ZL1, 2023 ZL1, 2014 Raptor
Quote:
I do know that the Camaro strut mount is designed with a bias toward performance and durability at the expense, to a degree, in Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH). Given the performance numbers we achieve in our Pedderised Camaros and the Ring time of the ZL1 they gave done very good job. None of that addresses the pain in the but noise some experience. My frustration is I really believe our process works from replacing the upper insulator to making sure everything is tight.

Hey Pete, how do you know the strut mount is designed with a bias toward performance?

I'm not calling you out on this, I just need real facts.
My last sport car purchase was a 2007 G35 6mt, 2 door coupe.
After purchasing the G35 I found it to have a terrible clutch and transmission and was on it's way to being one of the oil burners.
The G35 was a huge dissapointment.

This strut mount on the Camaro is keeping me on the fence with a 2012 purchase.

Would like to be driving a 2SS/RS soon.
R1jamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #38
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
You are correct to say that the top of the strut plate moves when turning right or left.
I have put a thick washer under the plate and all it did was twist it up and went under the plate.It did not help in anyway.
I looked at trying the toilet gasket mentioned in another thread but I was a little concerned that it would chew it up knowing the top of the strut moves clockwise/counterclockwise when turning.
like Pete says there could be problems elsewhere but I am convinced that my problem is in the top of the strut, the gap area that BMRguy is talking about.He described my problem to a 'T'
I've been running the toilet gaskets for a few hundred miles now and they're in great condition. They're cheap if you had to replace them.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #39
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
The strut does have to be removed to install the new insulator. The way I found out about the upgrade is we ordered a couple of mounts from GM to have on hand for R & D. When they arrived they had the steel and urethane insulator. We double and triple checked with GM and found the new style had superseded the old style. You can't buy the old style rubber insulator from GM. I am at SEMA and have asked the guys at the office to dig up the part number.
Can I get the info on this please?
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #40
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
Can I get the info on this please?
Part number for the new insulator is 20859337.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #41
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
subscribed.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #42
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Part number for the new insulator is 20859337.
Thank you for posting the PN!

FYI, the same part number will also fit the ultra quiet BUICK