Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #15
Cash, Gas & A SS

Drives: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Agree with this^. That tach signal "flutter" seems normal, as does the cold start readings. Since you haven't really described the "lack of power" or the mileage drop, hard to quantify that....
Working on the fuel economy part of it. Obviously I don't have a dyno. I know this is stupid to say but I'm guaging with the following: in second gear at 50-60 kph/31-37mph and if I hit the throttle it would throw me back in my seat but now it doesn't really.

Maybe I'm just crazy about the mileage and power but before this fiasco my tach was rock solid. I know thats how old cars get but this car only has 34,000 kilometers/21,000miles.
Cash, Gas & A SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #16
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
These V8's have a fairly aggressive cam (at least by manufacturer standards)..they will feel like they are rocking side to side...the idle will be a bit rough....nature of the beast.
Not saying there are not other issues...but idle is fine. Reset your avg mpg in the info center and drive it a while. See what shakes out.
Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #17
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash, Gas & A SS View Post
"old cars get this way".
Don't let this person touch your car. Sounds like a 5v issue, or the air intake isn't fully seated on the throttle body and your getting stay air in. Make sure the pcv hose is still connected, wires aren't pulled, etc. It should come back if it isn't corrected. A couple drive cycles should do it. The resistor in my Throttle body changed so my 5v references were slowly separating and the car ran for months with a weird engine surge then drag feeling. It finally got a wide enough gap between the +5 and 0 to throw a code and go into reduced power mode. New TB and its solid. At least you know the area to look in, car is pretty forgiving so just because the light is off doesn't mean you're 100%. Its your car and if it doesn't feel right to YOU, then its not RIGHT.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #18
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Get MAF cleaner and clean the MAF right, reassemble tight any air leaking by the MAF and you get screwed readings....My MAF had one screw a little loose the other day on my CAI don't like the allen head screws much.... The car started harder than normal, more decal popping , all the traction control lights came on, the tach stopped working.... Took it home..First disconnect battery, a must resets and calibrates... for extended time, while cleaning maf with maf cleaner..... then reassemble and make sure it tight, also I cleaned my air filter and my catch can checked electrical connections etc....

Cars fine after reattaching battery..... just a little loose screw caused that. imagine a loose hose on the catch can it can cause stalling/ codes lack of running like it has a bad MAP sensor that's the Manifold absolute pressure.... next time cut it off and walk it on..the way the a/c belts meant to be done. Good Luck.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #19
Cash, Gas & A SS

Got a smoke test done today at a different mechanic shop. No vacuum leaks. They were curious, so looked at MAF connector and agreed pinouts looked good. They thought maybe wiring to MAF couldve been damaged so the checked electrical continuity and didn't find anything.

They told me after this that they did an idle relearn.

EDIT: When they were curious they scanned the car and said there was a pending code. Said it was an IAT code. Not sure if this matters.

Last edited by Cash, Gas & A SS; 06-20-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #20
Cash, Gas & A SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Agree with this^. That tach signal "flutter" seems normal, as does the cold start readings. Since you haven't really described the "lack of power" or the mileage drop, hard to quantify that....
Went through a tank of 91 Octane, getting 14.6 L/100km or roughly 16.1 mpg.
Before the rest I was at 11.2 L/100km or 21 mpg.

Mostly highway miles with a little bit of pedal to the metal. I live quite a ways from town and one of the first nights wanted to try to put some clicks on it to see if MaF would adjust so I drove out of town. (more highway)
Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #21
Cash, Gas & A SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
Don't let this person touch your car. Sounds like a 5v issue, or the air intake isn't fully seated on the throttle body and your getting stay air in. Make sure the pcv hose is still connected, wires aren't pulled, etc. It should come back if it isn't corrected. A couple drive cycles should do it. The resistor in my Throttle body changed so my 5v references were slowly separating and the car ran for months with a weird engine surge then drag feeling. It finally got a wide enough gap between the +5 and 0 to throw a code and go into reduced power mode. New TB and its solid. At least you know the area to look in, car is pretty forgiving so just because the light is off doesn't mean you're 100%. Its your car and if it doesn't feel right to YOU, then its not RIGHT.
Ya, thanks man. I really appreciate you takin me seriously. Hopefully one day the issue is resolved but I agree... It's not 100%
I was thinking maybe leak at throttle body or just after the filter but ^^ smoke test showing nothing.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #22
Cash, Gas & A SS

Last edited by Cash, Gas & A SS; 12-12-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:41 AM   #23
Eguash610

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro RS
I’ve recently ran into this problem as well but I have a 2015 RS V6. After I changed the spark plugs and went to the car on it was garbage from the start took a while to start and everything. Turns out the plugs I got weren’t giving much charge so I got new ones and the sparks are fine same with the packs. But it still sounds bad and sounds like the throttle is backfiring along with tons of misfires
Eguash610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:00 AM   #24
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
Mine behaved this way when the aftermarket air cleaner became dislodged and allowed unfiltered/unrestricted air into the throttle body. Check your work, make sure no vacuum leak.
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #25
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Before I read that you had it smoke tested I really thought this was unmetered air getting in to the engine. ALL signs point that way. MAF is easy to read with a scan tool. IAT as well, coolant temp as well.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote