Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #71
BlakeH827

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I've thought about it long and hard and think I should go with a centri. I like the numbers they put up and at not very high boost. Little less torque but that's okay I will use the extra ponys on the big end when my tires and spinning. I thought I wanted a Maggie but I just can't bring myself to do it. I've been looking into ecs and procharger. Is there really much difference between the two? Ecs is a bit cheaper but I really don't know if it's more of just which ever u prefer or is one better than the other?
BlakeH827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #72
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
I believe the impellers are different with prochargers internals being superior.

But, once again, I could be wrong.

I would be happy to make you a killer deal on a PC whenever you are ready
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #73
UNRIVALED SS

Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
When I made the decision I just bought the one that supported the driving that I do the majority of the time. My ole heap does ok on the track and drives great. I take it on trips and could drive it daily if I wanted. Just be honest with yourself about what will make you happy. I don't know for sure, but I imagine a lot of 700 hp cars spend most their time producing 150-250 hp driving and venture above 600 only on an occasional trip to the track or playing a little stop light gran prix maybe. So my advise is to pick the component that caters to what you do most of the time but is also capable of the occasional. Either way the car will make awesome power and be much improved. So you can't go wrong. Good luck and have fun with it !!
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #74
BlakeH827

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
When I made the decision I just bought the one that supported the driving that I do the majority of the time. My ole heap does ok on the track and drives great. I take it on trips and could drive it daily if I wanted. Just be honest with yourself about what will make you happy. I don't know for sure, but I imagine a lot of 700 hp cars spend most their time producing 150-250 hp driving and venture above 600 only on an occasional trip to the track or playing a little stop light gran prix maybe. So my advise is to pick the component that caters to what you do most of the time but is also capable of the occasional. Either way the car will make awesome power and be much improved. So you can't go wrong. Good luck and have fun with it !!
Very nice reply. Mine is my dd and will only see 600 hp very little. But that occasional time or two every couple days is awesome! And the occasional honda civic or mustang. I have bigger plans for it one day when it's not a dd but nothing super crazy.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #75
ramsman34

Drives: 2011 Summit White, 2SS/RS-LS3
Like the OP I too am going FI within the next 6-12 months and also want to know what is right for me. Dragging unlikely (just my opinion but racing should involve turning and braking frankly) - then again with all that power mabe a drag run would be fun! Also, road courses are probably be in my future. So for now, 95% street and daily driver for me. That said, the occasional punk in his M3 or 5.0 will be fun to go light to light with!!

Now, thank God I can't pull the trigger now ($$) on FI. My head hurts after readin all these posts.

I live in Cali so I assume my FI choices are limited right (yes, feel free to chime in and answer these)

So a roots blower (been considering Whipple 2.9 and the new SLP 2300) gives great low RPM torque which means having to manage the long skinny pedal carefully or I am am melting tires and starring in my own smoke show??? Cops will be digging that I am sure.

The Centris seem smoother to drive - less killer torque in the lower RPM range which makes sense for daily drivability yet you can't really utilize their power zone unless you are on the track or at least above 3500??

Ugh - Maybe my current 415 WHR is enough??

NO NO NO NO

I want more, but driveable and yes I want to slap my head against the headrest instantly whenever I feel like it without eating up $1000 in tires every month.

Oh, how do these FI cars handle in "Stabilitrac Competive Mode" and with everything OFF??

Hopefully the OP has these questions too? Didn't mean to hijack.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #76
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteCZM523 View Post
Orly?

So up until 3500 RPM's, the Roots has it. Past that its just a joke...

Not to mention, I wouldn't want max boost at 1500 RPMS...Much easier for the vehicle if it builds with RPM's.

Also makes the vehicle a bit nicer to drive on the street - power builds as RPM's build. Best of both worlds IMO
This is the second time this was posted so I gotta throw out the :BS:

You can't compare two dynos from different cars on different days with different boost levels. My car was down 40rwhp on a hot day vs a cooler day. (Over 100 vs 63).

If we are throwing out arbitrary dyno numbers, here is an old one of mine in 106 degree heat..... Also at 9 pounds of boost.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358480913.593233.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  65.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #77
Jessika
Account Suspended

My car was my dd. My tires lasted about 30k miles. It's all in how you drive it. A tvs or pd car can be very mellow when putting around. That's how I saw a mpg increase as well!

-sent from my Note 2 using tapatalk 2
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #78
ramsman34

Drives: 2011 Summit White, 2SS/RS-LS3
Oh yeah,

Ray @ Full Throttle (does my tuning etc.) and poster here UNREAL have been talking up going twin turbo - so that's on the table as well even if I have to sell my CAI and ARH LT's.

UGH - more studying and research for me!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #79
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
That's also on 91 octane not 93/torco/meth.

You will make power with both, there is no question about it. Go with what fits you best. For me, this time it was a Maggie.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #80
BlakeH827

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsman34 View Post
Oh yeah,

Ray @ Full Throttle (does my tuning etc.) and poster here UNREAL have been talking up going twin turbo - so that's on the table as well even if I have to sell my CAI and ARH LT's.

UGH - more studying and research for me!
I actually spoke with a guy that had the granatelli twin turbo kit and he loves it but the car isn't really a daily. He really didn't recommend it for daily use. He recommended a procharger for daily use. Or some like the tvs 2300 to.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #81
EliteCZM523

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
@ OP, I would pick the ECS kit. Price is right, manufacturing is right, tuning is one of the best. They have the proven track record - they know how to make your car go fast, and make it no blow up....seems like the best bet imo.
ARH 1 7/8 w/ cats, Borla ATAK Axle Back, VaraRam, ECS Cam, JDP Halo Kit, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Ghosted SMD Side Markers, Reverse Lights, P13W Plasma DRL's, DRL Harness, Kenwood 9990HD, Scosche Kit, and tons more
EliteCZM523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #82
Jessika
Account Suspended

I still think you will be happiest with a tvs. Couple that with the deal I have in the vendor section and you will score big time!

-sent from my Note 2 using tapatalk 2
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #83
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Wow Doug.....so you know my car better than I do? My IAT's go down immediately after I take my foot of the go pedal. Blower is cool to the touch. If you think it's any different, maybe you don't know as much as you think you do

You quoted my post, but didn't read it? Where did I say my best pass was hot lapped? Sheeze....

As a matter of fact, yes I do apparently. I am not some super brain or know it all, but your in my field of expertise now. Being that you so heavily promote roots blowers on several forums, I have to ask, are you in the performance industry and this is your trolling screen name or what?

My answers are coming from factual data, not opinions like others posting in this thread. For the last 20 years it has been my job to data log/tune and track tune cars. I am at the race track several times per week except for the couple of months they are closed for the winter of course, then I live on the dyno preparing cars for the up coming season.

I have THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of track recorded data, just from 2009 to now I have down loaded nearly 20,000 programs, (there is a counter on the cables) at least half of those are compiled from DATA LOGGING, the others are start up files or mail order tunes derived from... data logging the same operating system and mods.

We have sponsored Raceway Parks largest race series for the last ten years, and we have record holding cars in every venue of the LSx platform, just because it's in a different box called the Camaro makes no difference to me. I doubt you are at the track as often as my job requires me to be, but if you are, then I still doubt you are taking care of a dozen cars or more per day like I often am. With several different N/A or F/I set ups on them. That is what gives me this experience to speak intelligently about this subject, experience, simple as that.

Seeing what works, what wins races, what keeps the bracket and index guys being on their dial in to the hundredth of a second, and what forced induction systems get slower and slower and slower each round, making it tough for the owner to dial in and win.

We have everything from world records, to series wins, to national event wins from customers with our supercharging systems. I'm sure there has to be one somewhere, but find me something of this level with a roots blower, and please dont be silly and start talking top fuel dragsters, our level of racing.

Now none of that makes a roots blower bad for a DD, but at least be honest and discuss it's down falls so people can make a decision that fits their needs/goals best. We have many very happy roots blower customers, we properly informed them of the pluses and minuses and that set up fit them best, but they were properly informed first with facts.

Doug @ ECS
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #84
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
This is the second time this was posted so I gotta throw out the :BS:

You can't compare two dynos from different cars on different days with different boost levels. My car was down 40rwhp on a hot day vs a cooler day. (Over 100 vs 63).

If we are throwing out arbitrary dyno numbers, here is an old one of mine in 106 degree heat..... Also at 9 pounds of boost.

Attachment 463353

Same car, same dyno. We removed the Maggie and installed our kit. I will look for that file and post up boost numbers because I agree they were probably higher to make an additional 100 rwhp. (I did not post that up myself)

The difference though is that your car will have a higher swing in HP from the temperature then a centrifugal car will. Fact.

Doug @ ECS
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote