Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-04-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
iLilDark

Drives: Camaro 2013 LT
Connect a line from taillights to 3rd brake light?

My 3rd brake light stopped working and after searching apparently I have to disassemble the back of the car till I get to the cables, I did get a z28 spoiler with a wickerbill so I'm thinking there's no need to fix the oem since it won't be visible to the other drivers anyway, instead I'm thinking of buying an aftermarket 3rd brake light and use it on the spoiler, is it possible to connect it to the taillights cables instead of the the whole disassemble hustle in the back of the car?
iLilDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:29 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
On some GM vehicles, your cruise control won't work without the factory 3rd brake light. I don't know if this is true for the Camaro.

You should be able to run a 3rd brake off of the existing brake lights, but it might throw a trouble code if the change in resistance makes the BCM think a bulb is out.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:48 AM   #3
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
I did this when my 3rd brake light went out. I used the OEM 3rd brake light wire, I just cut it and spliced it then ran the wire with the rest of the wires up into the trunk hatch to the aftermarket spoiler/brake light
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:03 PM   #4
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
On some GM vehicles, your cruise control won't work without the factory 3rd brake light. I don't know if this is true for the Camaro.

You should be able to run a 3rd brake off of the existing brake lights, but it might throw a trouble code if the change in resistance makes the BCM think a bulb is out.
You are 100% on this....it will set a brake pedal position code and disable the cruise. I have the 92234277 spoiler on mine with the 3rd light in the spoiler. Connect it to the connector under the package tray and you will have no issue.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:45 PM   #5
iLilDark

Drives: Camaro 2013 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post

My car had the 3rd brake off for a while now and didn't cause any problems or threw any codes, however I bought the car with some aftermarket taillights and they had a little box connected to them that I have no idea what it's for so it could be a relay or something to not cause any problems.
iLilDark is offline   Reply With Quote