Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #183
Jake
Go Speed Racer!!!
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Concept Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 46
Hi Fenwick,

Chevy must think it is competing with BMW or it would not have mentioned in its press release that:

"The Camaro has Better torsional stiffness than BMW's 3-Series Convertible."

I did not make that up, Chevy specifically said that in their press release from the Los Angeles auto show recently.

If you don't think $50,000 to purchase a fully loaded Camaro Convertible is not "paying a lot of money" I don't know what to say.

In my personal opinion, $50,000 is paying a premium for a premium product, and my local Chevrolet dealer must agree, because they want me to pay an extra $5000 premium over sticker price to have the privilege of purchasing a car you don't seem to believe is a premium car.

What's the point of a Cadillac? I imagine it depends on who you ask. I am certain if you spoke with the design, marketing, and engineering team that worked on the 1959 Cadillac, they would give us quite a different answer than the Cadillac team that worked on the 1982 Cadillac Cimarron.

Obviously GMC had too many brands and models that confused the consumer so they closed down and discontinued many of them. Personally I don't think Cadillac should be striving for a higher level of design, comfort and manufacturing excellence. I think all General Motors brands should pursue absolute excellence.

My point is that I think the Chevy Camaro is an amazing car, but I believe GM cut a few corners they should not have.

Happy Holidays,

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
There's a reason we have a brand structure in place. If Chevrolet decides to build a car that competes with the 3-series then what's the point of Cadillac?

It's easy for all of you to say, "Oh, why can't GM just design this cover, it would only cost us a few thousand more, BMW does it so why can't GM?" What both of you are missing is that BMW could not care less how much it costs to engineer a part because their customers are accustomed to paying a lot for a car which pays for that engineering. GM, on the other hand, has to worry about that problem, especially with the Chevrolet brand.

The bottom line is that no Camaro competes with any BMWs. That isn't the point of the car. Having seen the car in person, it looks fine without a cover.
__________________

Designer for BulletTrain at www.BulletTrain.com and Editor & Publisher of Jake's Rolex World Magazine located at www.RolexMagazine.com
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #184
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 Envoy, '07 F-150, '12 Charger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,929
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Hi Fenwick,

Chevy must think it is competing with BMW or it would not have mentioned in its press release that:

"The Camaro has Better torsional stiffness than BMW's 3-Series Convertible."

I did not make that up, Chevy specifically said that in their press release from the Los Angeles auto show recently.

If you don't think $50,000 to purchase a fully loaded Camaro Convertible is not "paying a lot of money" I don't know what to say.

In my personal opinion, $50,000 is paying a premium for a premium product, and my local Chevrolet dealer must agree, because they want me to pay an extra $5000 premium over sticker price to have the privilege of purchasing a car you don't seem to believe is a premium car.

What's the point of a Cadillac? I imagine it depends on who you ask. I am certain if you spoke with the design, marketing, and engineering team that worked on the 1959 Cadillac, they would give us quite a different answer than the Cadillac team that worked on the 1982 Cadillac Cimarron.

Obviously GMC had too many brands and models that confused the consumer so they closed down and discontinued many of them. Personally I don't think Cadillac should be striving for a higher level of design, comfort and manufacturing excellence. I think all General Motors brands should pursue absolute excellence.

My point is that I think the Chevy Camaro is an amazing car, but I believe GM cut a few corners they should not have.

Happy Holidays,

Jake
Really?

The Equinox's press release mentioned that the seat frames were out of a Cadillac. I suppose the Equinox is a direct competitor to the CTS.

The Cruze's Details Book states that the electric power steering motor is similar to the set up used in some BMWs. I suppose that makes the Cruze a direct competitor to the 3-series.

Just because GM says that one car is better than another car in some regard doesn't mean that they think those cars are competing.

Your Chevrolet dealer doesn't think the Convertible is a premium product just because they're charging an extra $5k, they're charging an extra $5k because they know there are enough suckers out there who want the car so bad that they'll pay whatever for it when they can drive to the next town where the dealer there isn't marking up the car at all.

I think you need to go look at a Camaro, then go to a Cadillac dealer and look at a CTS. Then come back and tell me the Camaro is a "premium" product. The car is nice, don't get me wrong, but just because it costs $40k, it doesn't mean it's a premium car.

Yes, GM (not GMC, GMC is a brand) had too many brands which confused customers. Which is why the brands and their products are much more streamlined in exactly what they're trying to offer in the market. If you're suggesting that GM should start positioning Chevrolet as a BMW competitor, then you're moving backwards in that mission.

Again, you're completely underestimating what goes into designing, engineering, and building a car. What appears to be "cutting corners" to you is completely different when interpreted by GM. You constantly talk about how you would be willing to spend an extra few thousand on an integrated tonneau cover without considering that that extra few thousand could cause other consumers to walk away from the car.
__________________

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
2012 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #185
blaSSt
 
blaSSt's Avatar
 
Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 442
Don't you all realize Jake is 100% correct? (see quote in sig) Nobody is going to convince him otherwise, not worth trying.

Number 3 sorry I couldn't get there to see the car. By the time I read your PM it was too late.:( Oh well there's always Houston auto show in January.
__________________
On the internet - Anything is possible, especially when you don't know what you are talking about.
blaSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #186
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 ATS 2.0T & '17 Buick LaCrose
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 10,478
Well the car goes back tomorrow. It was a great trip for sure. One of those trips where the car is such an integral part of the enjoyment and memories.

As usual, Mrs. Number 3 and I really enjoyed meeting so many Camaro enthusiasts on this trip. You are truly a special group of people with a deep passion for this car.

I know many more of you had hoped to see the car, but we just didn't get the chance to drive around much other than the Clearwater area. So sorry about that for those that would like to have seen the car in person. Many people said it is even more beautiful in person than in pictures.

Also, I had countless PMs asking for more details on the car. I have to appologize, but it is still a bit early to disclose detailed information about the car and how it drives and some of those specifics you all want to know about. This is very early in the process. So stay tuned and be patient. All of those questions will be answered in time.

The convertible is truly is a wonderful automobile. I hope that each of you will have the opportunity to drive one very soon and at least see what a great convertible the Camaro makes, even if you prefer the coupe. This is really going to be a special car, one of those cars that when we look back years down the road will always bring back the permagrin just from the thought of it.
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #187
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: hot & windy
Posts: 10,601
figures... by the time i get back to FL, you're back in MI :(
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #188
jhyland87
 
Drives: 2011 2ss rs, black
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 248
What are the weight specs?

Typically, convertible cars are heavier and handle worse, due to the fact that they have more weight in metal at the bottom to make up for the car getting cut in half
jhyland87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #189
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 31,852
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyland87 View Post
What are the weight specs?

Typically, convertible cars are heavier and handle worse, due to the fact that they have more weight in metal at the bottom to make up for the car getting cut in half
They've stiffened the structure to perform nearly identically to the coupe. But it does weigh more overall.

Here, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115767, you can see the LT starts at 3986 lbs, and the SS is showing 4111.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - Fbodfather
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #190
Rapnrev
 
Rapnrev's Avatar
 
Drives: Mustang,Corvette,Escalade,T-Bird
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle,WA.
Posts: 38
I agree with Jake on the tonneau cover issue; having a 2002 Mustang convertible with a snap on cover (that blew off on the freeway mind you) but consider the Corvette droptop that has a manuel ragtop however you lifted the hard tonneau and dropped the top and put the hard tonneau back down. This could be an option lift the tonneau manuelly hit the switch to drop the top lower the hard tonneau back down. One thing I do notice is the the area where the top sits when it's down gets very dirty without a cover and really is not cleanable.

I also agree that GM needs to stop going down the low budget road in the name of selling units if the quality is of a better standard people are going recognize it, appreciate it, and purchase it. I'm not saying you need the "Ricardo Mantalban Corinthinan Leather" LOL! but they can upgrade to mid-level components however I understand that would cut into the aftermarket arena.

Nevertheless like Jake said $50k for a top of the line car with mediocer quality (I say that because of aftermarket arena) is a slap in the face to the American consumer. Other automakers offer things as standard that the American automakers want to charges as options thus increasing the price anyway. So sure if you want bare bones you should be able to get that but if you want top of the line then it should be just that in every way.

I own a 2006 Corvette, 2008 Escalade, 2002 Mustang, 1997 Lexus and a 1963 Thunderbird so I love speed, luxury, open air, foreign and classics so I have the full gamet.

I loved the Camaro Convertible from day one and wanted it over the coupe from the start but it is the little things that make all the difference in the world and if other companies are doing it then we need to stop making excuses for why we are not.

Let's not even put the BMW into it if Volkswagen (The Eos starting at 32k hardtop convertible as well as hard tonneau) then why can't Chevy? We are suppose to be the best in the free world but now as innovators and forward thinkers we seem to be just settling in the name of selling units. Chrysler is the only company that really puts their concepts into production at a high rate the 300 changed the game for them and look at the innovation two-tone paint, big wheels, giving the people what they want keeping an ear to the streets.
Rapnrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #191
Jake
Go Speed Racer!!!
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Concept Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 46
Quality v. Quantity...

Fenwick,

You concluded in your last post to me by saying:

"Again, you're completely underestimating what goes into designing, engineering, and building a car. What appears to be "cutting corners" to you is completely different when interpreted by GM."

How do you know what I know!?! How do you know what my design, engineering, and car building skills are?

You concluded by saying:

"You constantly talk about how you would be willing to spend an extra few thousand on an integrated tonneau cover without considering that that extra few thousand could cause other consumers to walk away from the car."

The flip side of this coin, is that GM "cutting corners" and not offering a world-class level of detail "could cause many consumers to walk away from the car just as easily."

If I recall my automotive history, it was Chevy that had to discontinue manufacturing the Camaro for 6 years, while BMW grew and set all time growth records with the 3, 5, 6, and 7 Series. Also, if GM is so bright, why did the U.S. Taxpayers have to step in to stop them from going out of business?

I believe the American consumer has become more and more quality conscience over the last decade, so American auto manufactures have had to step it up. It is also a fact that American's are holding on to cars longer today, than ever in the past. Last time I checked, it was around 10.5 years.

Even Chevy said, that convertible owners tend to keep their convertibles longer that non-convertible cars. If I am going to make a "long-term" investment in a car I might have for a decade, I wan't to make certain I love it.

I am remaining open-minded and will test-drive the Camaro Convertible as well as the all-new BMW 650i Convertible. I will say, that what the Camaro Convertible seems to lack in detail, the BMW 650i seems to have in over-abundance.

Happy Holidays!!!

Jake


Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Really?

The Equinox's press release mentioned that the seat frames were out of a Cadillac. I suppose the Equinox is a direct competitor to the CTS.

The Cruze's Details Book states that the electric power steering motor is similar to the set up used in some BMWs. I suppose that makes the Cruze a direct competitor to the 3-series.

Just because GM says that one car is better than another car in some regard doesn't mean that they think those cars are competing.

Your Chevrolet dealer doesn't think the Convertible is a premium product just because they're charging an extra $5k, they're charging an extra $5k because they know there are enough suckers out there who want the car so bad that they'll pay whatever for it when they can drive to the next town where the dealer there isn't marking up the car at all.

I think you need to go look at a Camaro, then go to a Cadillac dealer and look at a CTS. Then come back and tell me the Camaro is a "premium" product. The car is nice, don't get me wrong, but just because it costs $40k, it doesn't mean it's a premium car.

Yes, GM (not GMC, GMC is a brand) had too many brands which confused customers. Which is why the brands and their products are much more streamlined in exactly what they're trying to offer in the market. If you're suggesting that GM should start positioning Chevrolet as a BMW competitor, then you're moving backwards in that mission.

Again, you're completely underestimating what goes into designing, engineering, and building a car. What appears to be "cutting corners" to you is completely different when interpreted by GM. You constantly talk about how you would be willing to spend an extra few thousand on an integrated tonneau cover without considering that that extra few thousand could cause other consumers to walk away from the car.
__________________

Designer for BulletTrain at www.BulletTrain.com and Editor & Publisher of Jake's Rolex World Magazine located at www.RolexMagazine.com

Last edited by Jake; 11-30-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #192
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 Envoy, '07 F-150, '12 Charger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,929
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
If you honestly believe that what happened last year is entirely GM's fault, then you're delusional. But I'm not going to get sidetracked into that argument, so nice try.

Again, Camaro Convertible to BMW 650i is NOT an apples to apples comparison. I don't care how stupid your dealer is for charging ridiculous prices for a convertible. Chevrolet does not compete with BMW, and just because you say you'll be cross-shopping the two does not mean everyone else will, in fact I would venture that 95% of people won't. GM has done more than their fair share of market research to determine what potential buyers think is important and obviously a fancy powered cover isn't one of them.

In all honesty, it sounds like you're already enamored with the 650i, so go buy one.
__________________

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
2012 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #193
Stex

 
Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South texas
Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm 99% certain they tried. After all, the original concept had them like that too. But the added cost/weight to do a true hardtop like the 60s and still get meet rollover standards was against them.

Did you know modern vehicle roofs have to be able to hold 2.5x the vehicle's weight?
Excuse the off topic but I would pay 5 grand more for a true hardtop over the coupe. Had 3 of them, GTOs, nothing like it, all windows down, the look and feel needs to be experienced to really get it...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #194
Epitaph
Custom User Title
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 550
There are companies that do this mod. The price? I don't know, but I remember seeing it done when the Camaro first came out.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #195
NSCRFN3
 
NSCRFN3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 36°13′12″N 82°20′17″W
Posts: 500
Well not to get off of the tonneau cover subject, because for me that is not really a huge deal. I remember old Chevy's I've had (A 66 Impala Convertible SS for one) when you put the top down you had to snap the cover on with 25 snaps! Wasn't a big deal, that's just the way it was. What is the deal breaker for me is maybe I was just expecting too much. All the talk about how the top was going to keep the same lines as the coupe had me expecting obviously too much. From what I can see the lines of the coupe and that chopped look did not translate into the vert. As much as I hate to say it, IMHO the top looks better on the mustang than the Camaro. With the top down the Camaro is the best looking vert on the road. Hands down! I am just not a fan of the looks with the top up. And this is coming from someone who if you cut me I would bleed ! I spent two years number one on a waiting list for the vert. Bought a coupe cause I couldn't wait and wanted to add a vert. But unless something drastically changes after seeing one in person, that won't be happening. Just my .02 worth.
__________________
NSCRFN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #196
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5
 
Drago77's Avatar
 
Drives: SW 11' 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, Blk/Blk
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Posts: 4,553
I just had to jump into this debate ... my position- a 32 yr old white male blue-collar worker living in the suburbs... I've owned 2 Camaros for a total of approx 15 yrs and loved them both till the parting days. I've been anxiously awaiting the release of the 2011 converts and placed my 2SS order Nov 18th.

Now, that being said, as for the Tonneu cover- as an average consumer (who I would believe fits right into the middle of GMs target group for this car) I honestly couldn't care less about the integrated tonneau top. Yeah, it'd be another nice toy, but I'm teetering on the verge of affordability for the 2SS as it is, and the extra cost WOULD have drove me down to a V6 or (God forbid- a Mustang GT...hey, I love Chevy, but they're nice cars too!)

I completely agree with GM keeping the cost reasonable, and if that means eliminating a few luxury options, than so be it. I drove a 09' Mustang Vert for work for awhile with no tonneu top, and it was fine, no problems, issues or complaints whatsoever. If your looking for high-end cars with a bunch of toys, look outside Chevy, and you'll find (and pay for) them.

Personally, I say "Thank you" GM, for keeping the price reasonable, cutting the little "luxuries", so us middle-of-the-road American's can afford a bad azz car, while we're still young enough to enjoy it!


Last edited by Drago77; 12-04-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CAMARO WIKI Tran Wiki 55 03-28-2017 01:04 PM
GT5 Camaro pics brantley847 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 93 05-27-2013 09:35 PM
GM unveils Jay Leno Camaro, Camaro Synergy, Camaro Chroma, Camaro Dusk at SEMA irocnroll 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 101 02-27-2012 01:25 PM
2011 Camaro convertible preproduction models spotted on road up north al Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 121 08-07-2010 11:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.