Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #15
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
COPO
Old 05-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #16
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
The first one off the line and the last one off the line.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #17
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I venture to say it will be the 1LS/2LS, as there won't be any 6th Gen LS!

Or, perhaps, 2010 Camaros in "Bumblebee" color combo from the factory. Similar to how the Smokey & The Bandit combos for the 3rd Gen Firebirds are most desirable from that generation.

Really The collectable Camaro's are the ZL1's and the Z28's they are small in numbers compared to all the other Gen 5's.Oh I forgot the COPO's even rarer.
1Coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #18
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Really The collectable Camaro's are the ZL1's and the Z28's they are small in numbers compared to all the other Gen 5's.Oh I forgot the COPO's even rarer.
I don't think that has much to do with it being collectible though.... I mean it's all about what these things actually mean to the brand.

The Copo Camaro 50 years from now wont even be remembered honestly. I mean the Z28 is iconic, that's what makes it collectible.

The Z28 will hardly be considered mass producer either, I mean how many of these freakin' things do you even see? Maybe one every couple of months unless you show up a convention or physically have someone close to you that drives one.

Don't get me wrong, the same thing can be said about the Copo, but think about the Callaway Camaro or the Hot Wheels Camaros. Those were special editions too that were very limited. But they're not iconic, they don't mean anything special the Chevy brand and the Camaro lineup.

The Z28 does... it goes all the way back to the early generations.

Other than that, the Z28 will be the most collectible for a number of reasons...
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #19
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
I don't think that has much to do with it being collectible though.... I mean it's all about what these things actually mean to the brand.

The Copo Camaro 50 years from now wont even be remembered honestly. I mean the Z28 is iconic, that's what makes it collectible.

The Z28 will hardly be considered mass producer either, I mean how many of these freakin' things do you even see? Maybe one every couple of months unless you show up a convention or physically have someone close to you that drives one.

Don't get me wrong, the same thing can be said about the Copo, but think about the Callaway Camaro or the Hot Wheels Camaros. Those were special editions too that were very limited. But they're not iconic, they don't mean anything special the Chevy brand and the Camaro lineup.

Other than that, the Z28 will be the most collectible for a number of reasons...

Hi.

Gotta disagree here. Race cars are always collectible. I think you misunderstand what a COPO is and was.

The COPO Camaro is 46 years old, they didn't dream it up for the 5Gen. The car community has not forgotten what a '69 COPO was in 46 years, no reason to assume that in 50 years we will have forgotten what a 5Gen COPO was.

The COPO Camaros were available first generation. Essentially a Camaro with an aluminum block 427. A 1969 ZL-1 is a COPO Camaro. They made 69 of them. Extremely collectible cars, intended for drag race use. that's why they used the aluminum block. COPO means Central Office Production Order. Non-standard cars made from RPO (Regular Production Order) parts.

There were even rarer COPO Chevies, too. You may not know about them, but that doesn't mean they are not collectible.

Today a COPO is a breed apart. Cannot be registered for street use. Low production. Purpose-built race car. If any 5 gen will be collectible, it will be one that meets that type of criteria. We're not talking about just a desirable options package or a rare color (although I can name some 'dealer only' colors that are on say, a '69 z/28 that are incredibly rare and make the car commend very high price) or even an uncommonly seen street car. We're talking hen's teeth exclusivity.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #20
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
COPO#69
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #21
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Hi.

Gotta disagree here. Race cars are always collectible. I think you misunderstand what a COPO is and was.

The COPO Camaro is 46 years old, they didn't dream it up for the 5Gen. The car community has not forgotten what a '69 COPO was in 46 years, no reason to assume that in 50 years we will have forgotten what a 5Gen COPO was.

The COPO Camaros were available first generation. Essentially a Camaro with an aluminum block 427. A 1969 ZL-1 is a COPO Camaro. They made 69 of them. Extremely collectible cars, intended for drag race use. that's why they used the aluminum block. COPO means Central Office Production Order. Non-standard cars made from RPO (Regular Production Order) parts.

There were even rarer COPO Chevies, too. You may not know about them, but that doesn't mean they are not collectible.

Today a COPO is a breed apart. Cannot be registered for street use. Low production. Purpose-built race car. If any 5 gen will be collectible, it will be one that meets that type of criteria. We're not talking about just a desirable options package or a rare color (although I can name some 'dealer only' colors that are on say, a '69 z/28 that are incredibly rare and make the car commend very high price) or even an uncommonly seen street car. We're talking hen's teeth exclusivity.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archi...OPO-427-178550

Wow, I stand corrected... Yeah you're right! After doing a quick search I learned a lot. Thanks . Never new that about the Copo Camaro.

I mean that Copo right there is going for well over a quarter million dollars. Wow!

I guess the Copo Camaro will be one of the most desirable Camaro's out there, never knew that until now!!!

Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #22
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

I would sure like to own that '69!
Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #23
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I venture to say it will be the 1LS/2LS, as there won't be any 6th Gen LS!

Or, perhaps, 2010 Camaros in "Bumblebee" color combo from the factory. Similar to how the Smokey & The Bandit combos for the 3rd Gen Firebirds are most desirable from that generation.
Inside of 5 years there will be more interested buyers beating down my door for my 1LS than some garage queen SS, Z/28, or ZL1!!!

...Mostly because it should be worth between $5k-$10k and it will be within affordable reach of every high school student with a license whose parents are willing to chip in a little bit for a car.

Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #24
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I hope R6P cars cuz I have one! I agree with the majority it will be the Z28 but not in the near future, maybe like 20 years.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #25
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post

Don't forget the Neimann Marcus edition
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #26
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
the copos with the 3 engines. copos
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #27
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
There are so many supposedly "rare" 5th gens... everyone believes their car is one. They all have at least 20 years of just being outdated used cars starting this fall. The fact that so many people have them stashed away with no miles thinking they're going to be collectible pretty much guarantees they won't be. The rare ones will be the unmodified examples of the "regular" cars that weren't some sort of collector edition... but there will be MANY pristine examples of those around too, so the chances of any 5th gen camaro having any real collectible value is slim IMO. Odds are good you'll be dead long before that ever happens, if it ever does. Much better idea to enjoy your car now rather than saving it for someone else.

Last edited by joeybsyc; 05-21-2015 at 10:19 PM.
joeybsyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #28
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
With 500k+ of them produced, it will be a long time before the term 'rare' will enter the 5th gen's lexicon. But it will happen, this rebirth of the Camaro was a classic in the making, if there is such a thing.