Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #99
Eddy9

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Question regarding the clay bar?

Do you have to use the clay bar on a brand new car??? What does the clay bar actually do? Does it remove all shine or scratch the paint on a new car??

Thanks for you help!
Eddy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #100
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Hugger View Post
Can't believe I haven't herd of this polish before now, heres what 8 coats of Zaino process looks like on Hugger Orange. Thanks for the heads up on the polish Nexus
No problem man,I'm glad you like it. Thanks for posting photos of your car , Its beautiful.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #101
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy9 View Post
Do you have to use the clay bar on a brand new car??? What does the clay bar actually do? Does it remove all shine or scratch the paint on a new car??

Thanks for you help!
Yes you should use it on a brand new car,it removes the Embedded contaminants out of the paint from shipping.Like rail dust and other stuff.Just read through some of these threads.There is very detailed intructions for it.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #102
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
Got my zaino triple pack in and waiting on the car. Hey 69 hugger that car is beautiful. Looks like it has a coat of glass over it. Can't wait to use it. Now I gotta work on interior products. Would have orderd more zaino but they do not accept pay pal and I have funds in that account to use.
I orderd some 303 aerospace protectant and DP total interior cleaner. Both are good for the leather, plastic carpet and all around all purpose geed stuff, or so I have been told.
I used to be a great fan of armor all in my younger days but read too many negative things about then drying out interior and causing cracking and discoloration.

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #103
justmeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Hugger View Post
Can't believe I haven't herd of this polish before now, heres what 8 coats of Zaino process looks like on Hugger Orange. Thanks for the heads up on the polish Nexus
Awesome just cant get over that car. What zaino products did u use. The Z-CS? Seems the triple pack is a great combo. I didnt get the clay bar but am anticipateing it. Like I said would have orderd more from them but they wouldnt take pay pal.

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #104
AlaskaZ06

Drives: 1968 RS/SS 396
I have used Zaino the last 4 years and there is no product that comes close to the same results. I agree that the first time you use it you feel like it takes forever, but after that it is easy to maintain. Even if the car is brand new you should clay, this will make sure that all imperfections are gone. The only thing Zaino will not do is hide any swirls you may have, if your car needs work make sure you do that first. I would get the Zaino AIO for light swirls or try the fusion for heavier swirls. The main thing is to get it perfect before you use the Zaino or you will be unhappy. I have been using it on all my cars and this is my run down for proper application

Wash/dry
Z6
AIO...if needed
Z6
Z5
Z6
ZCS[
Z8

I know it sounds crazy, but when your done it is amazing..

Name:  Z061.JPG
Views: 415
Size:  59.1 KB
Name:  Z062.JPG
Views: 415
Size:  60.2 KB
Name:  Car Show.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  83.0 KB
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette convertible
1971 Corvette convertible
1968 RS/SS 396 Camaro
2009 335i xdrive BMW[/B]
AlaskaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #105
Eddy9

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Is the clay bar necessary on a brand new baby????? Does the clay bar remove all the shine from the paint? Will the clay bar scratch the new paint?
Eddy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #106
jeffny09

Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
clay bar is neccesary u gotta take all the gunk off from transportation

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #107
justmeron

Well I went for it. Clay bar orderd. So I will use the clay bar and then the AOI, then the Z-CS then the Z8. Nice looking vet your system seems to work very well alaska.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #108
jeffny09

Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
im debating what kit i want to get im getting a black ss any suggestions from any one?
when it comes to washing a car and i actually do it i want to be very detailed everytime i take the car out i want to wash it any suggestions?

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #109
justmeron

I got the tri pack and added the clay bar. but I am not getting a black one. The member from alaska had a nice looking vet. follow his recomendations.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #110
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy9 View Post
Is the clay bar necessary on a brand new baby????? Does the clay bar remove all the shine from the paint? Will the clay bar scratch the new paint?
The clay bar will not remove your shine ,but it will remove rail dust and other materials from the paint.When your done using the clay bar your paint will already start to look better and will be really smooth.you have to pay attention to the clay bar it self and keep kneading it.I would also keep a pair of tweezers around to pick out any large pieces of debris(most likely wont have any on a new car). After a few passes look at the surface,if you can see particles in it,fold it in half and flatten it.If you drop it on the ground it's no good anymore and throw it away.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

mind.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #111
AlaskaZ06

Drives: 1968 RS/SS 396
The one thing you will need is some good (I mean good) micro fiber towels. They can be a little spendy, but well worth the money. I buy mine from pak shak in Hawaii, they have great deals and fast shipping. You want waffle weave for drying and plush micro fiber for detail spray and sealent removal. With black just make sure you use good washing techniques, never wash in circles always go up and down motion on the sides and front to back on hood, trunk, top. Just do a search for a detailing forum and you will learn a ton...
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette convertible
1971 Corvette convertible
1968 RS/SS 396 Camaro
2009 335i xdrive BMW[/B]
AlaskaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #112
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaZ06 View Post
The one thing you will need is some good (I mean good) micro fiber towels. They can be a little spendy, but well worth the money. I buy mine from pak shak in Hawaii, they have great deals and fast shipping. You want waffle weave for drying and plush micro fiber for detail spray and sealent removal. With black just make sure you use good washing techniques, never wash in circles always go up and down motion on the sides and front to back on hood, trunk, top. Just do a search for a detailing forum and you will learn a ton...

Zaino has been testing various Micro-Fiber products. Unfortunately, the jury is still out on them. Some of them are excellent and do not scratch. Others are terrible and definitely scratch. The quality control of these products from overseas, especially Korea, is not consistent, so you never know if they will be the same scratch-free quality. Even when using the same brand, we found the quality to be inconsistent. For now, we do not recommend using them. However, lab testing is ongoing, and we will post an update when we have more conclusive results.

Again Towels must be name brand high quality 100% Made in USA.

You must use only white. Not colored towels..... colored towels are not to be used because the dye leaves a chemical residue on the paint finish. Always wash your towels first before using. Use Liquid detergent and rinse twice.

When washing your towels. Only use Liquid detergent such as All or Tide, etc. Do not use Bleach, Powdered Detergents or any kind of fabric softener. They will leave a chemical residue on the towels which will transfer to your paint finish. Make sure to run rinse cycle twice to remove all detergent.

You should cut the selvages (borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish. The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.

Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.

As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be replaced.

Where to buy towels........

Some name brands make a lower quality version of their towels for K-Mart, Walmart and other big discount chains. These towels say 100% Cotton but that is not, totally true. The nap is 100% cotton but the backing material has polyester blend in it. So if you press a little to hard on the towel you can get some fine scratches or swirls. The point I'm trying to make is a lower quality towel is selling in a discount store for $6.00 or less (approximately) it is not the good stuff. I buy all my high quality towels at stores like Linens and Things and Bed, Bath and Beyond.

I realize that Cannon-Fieldcrest aka (Pillowtex) is no longer in business... but there are plenty of other towels still available. I buy all my Cannon & Fieldcrest towels in the Bath & Linen shops in the bigger stores in the mall. I pay anywhere from $10 to $20 per towel. You can also try Linens and Things or Bed, Bath and Beyond... If you cannot find the Cannon or Fieldcrest line, then any high quality substitute towel from the above stores is acceptable.

These are the real deal. I buy about 3 or 4 towels and they usually last me about a year.

I get mine here http://www.dftowel.com/ordertowels.html

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

mind.