Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #15
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
I see a lot of filters like that when they get old, some huge some not. I dont believe they are actually getting sucked in on themselves, certainly no way is it happening on the larger sizes, but no idea what does actually cause it.

I used a pair of Greddy Airynx filters on my low mounts. They were basically the most compact..but open filter I could find. Foam design. I will say they do filter like shit though, but most certainly a lot safer than a screen, and probably flow more than a screen.
Better than nothing though
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #16
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
So, the appearance is that they were probably "distorted" during install. Lawd knows, I've done a number on my filters twisting and turning, moving the inlet hoses and messing, to leave the filters less than original stock (new) looking. And, with the mashes on the filters from the installation process gave way to weakening the filter media matrix. What kind of air you pulling through these (motor CID and boost)?
417ci @ 14 psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff657756 View Post
Mine are distorted some from taking them on and off, but not to the degree of that.
Seemed excessive to me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
I see a lot of filters like that when they get old, some huge some not. I dont believe they are actually getting sucked in on themselves, certainly no way is it happening on the larger sizes, but no idea what does actually cause it.

I used a pair of Greddy Airynx filters on my low mounts. They were basically the most compact..but open filter I could find. Foam design. I will say they do filter like shit though, but most certainly a lot safer than a screen, and probably flow more than a screen.
Better than nothing though
I'll look into the Greddy's, thanks.

Last edited by Unavowed; 07-24-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Unavowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #17
4SFED6.0

Drives: 1991 Camaro
Im reviving this thread to get opinions on this, How good can it be having the filter inches from an extremely hot exhaust manifold, has anyone done actual back to backteseting with the air filter right on turbo or screen compared to a true cold air set up that brings cooler air from the front of the car? I would think the IAT's would be noticeably cooler with a cold air set up. Im asking because im on the fence about ditching the filters near the turbo and going with a cold air set up.

Last edited by 4SFED6.0; 11-23-2020 at 09:30 PM.
4SFED6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #18
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Heat rises, but yes it isn't an ideal filter position for many reasons.

If you can route them to cooler air without adding restriction, really it can only be a positive move.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote