Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #1
alexw
It is the year...

Drives: 2SS RS Rally Yellow
Removing Front Plate Bracket w/ Metal Rivets

Hey guys,

Got a new replacement Camaro and it came with a front plate. Attached with rivets. Plan is to drill out and fill with Bumper Plugs. I saw this thread and will be doing a version of that how to:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160323

However...

My rivets still have the mandrel part attached on 3 of 4. They are supposed to snap off and come out when you install them. Look cut.

Any suggestions on how to remove those other than trying to drill thru them? Any other suggestions on removal?

This was bought recently from an independent dealer, and I'm the third owner. Original purchaser was in a state that needed it. So just gotta deal with it now.

Attached Images

Last edited by alexw; 11-13-2020 at 04:44 PM.
alexw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Take a punch the size of the pin and tap them back. Then use a drill bit just slightly larger than the pin the drill just enough to pop the rivet head off. Then you can punch the entire rivet(minus the head) within messing up the bumper holes. This is one technique used in the aviation world.
You might have to step up your bit size to get just the right size to pop the head off without tearing up the hole. Just get a good sharp bit and let it do the work so you don’t spin the entire rivet.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
alexw
It is the year...

Drives: 2SS RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Take a punch the size of the pin and tap them back. Then use a drill bit just slightly larger than the pin the drill just enough to pop the rivet head off. Then you can punch the entire rivet(minus the head) within messing up the bumper holes. This is one technique used in the aviation world.
You might have to step up your bit size to get just the right size to pop the head off without tearing up the hole. Just get a good sharp bit and let it do the work so you don’t spin the entire rivet.
Thanks. The punch method I saw, was most likely where I was going. Figured I'd ask first tho. If anyone else has ideas, post away, but otherwise wish me luck .
alexw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:55 PM   #4
mkmgraham

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Its not easy. I used body trim plugs wrapped in vinyl to patch the holes. Posted a diy on here somewhere. I did patch one with jbweld plastic and touch up paint and it actually looks pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic/Silver stripes, black Interior. Halo conversion, Diode Dynamics grill lighting, LED interior and fog lights. Sundown 8" DVC, Altrend 300.1 Amp, Handmade side-mount box. Soon to be BBK Headers and hi-flow cats.
mkmgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #5
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Not a fan of the plug look. I had mine filled and repainted by a shop. I recommend this for much more appealing look.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #6
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
BLU DUCE AKA=Spike III Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Not a fan of the plug look. I had mine filled and repainted by a shop. I recommend this for much more appealing look.
+1