Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
firedruish

Sad/scary day yesterday (2014 2SS)

Yesterday, I was driving back home after a road trip to see old friends. While making a pass on the Highway the car sounded like I drove over metal, or metal grinding and my oil pressure gauge went from normal to zero. I had the clutch in and the engine promptly shut itself down. Coasted to the side of the road and had her towed to the Alamosa Co Chevy Dealership. Engine won't turn over...there was a small pool of oil under the drivers front frame section just in front of the engine. oil pan and filter where dry and clean

I have been searching this forum since yesterday for more information on this and what I find is: not many had this happen while driving, I couldn't find results. Almost everyone got a low oil pressure warning, I got nothing.

On Friday, I had my long time mechanic throw my girl up on the rack at the Chevy dealership to check her over while I was back in my old hometown. Everything on the car checked out great...did a fresh oil change and now this....He is also fit to be tied.

I have the Zurich Extended warranty that expires on 10/06/2019 or 100k miles. Event happened 9/28/2019 and I had 98077 on the clock. While this car has had its history it has never been with the engine, transmission, or clutch. The only mods on my car are: CAI and the Hurst Short throw shifter. I have a laundry list of mods waiting for the 100k mark and a tuner. I did my first 4 oil changes with the dealership, all the rest on my own. I have entered all but the last into the my chevy page, but I didn't keep the receipts for the materials I used. Always 5w30 full synthetic mobil or amsoil

Any feedback, advise would be greatly appreciated. Terrified I need an engine and Zurich is not gonna honor my warranty. Yes I am a newbee at engine failure, and i obviously don't have the best opinion of insurance companies

TAI

Last edited by firedruish; 09-29-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
You’re right unfortunately. Claims people will try every way possible to keep from paying. Needs to be more regulations and standards forced on these people. It’s not a fare fight. Good luck and post updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i drive a ltl truck and i deliver motors and transmissions regularly for "extended warranty's" sorry to say they end up with the cheapest used part the company can find i frequently have to bring the shop or dealer more than 1 the first is normally no good.
sorry about your bad luck if they honor you claim i hope you end up with a good motor.
on the bright side most the time something like this happens a week after the warranty runs out.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
This is really the first hi-perf car I’ve ever owned. And while I don’t beat it, I drive it like the 15.1 average MPG might suggest. I worry about a day like you had. All can I can do is keep fresh ‘blood’ in ‘er. I just changed oil today for like the 10th time at 16,500 miles. Good luck, man.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
kingofthelv

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS
i am sorry to hear that happening.. i know i lost my first camaro my 2011 to a factory speaker catching on fire and now i have my 2014 ss..
kingofthelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
swampcritter

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS / 13 zl1
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...d+motor+mounts
swampcritter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
firedruish

thanks everyone!

The dealership is supposed to be diagnosing her today, and its all I can do to NOT pick up the phone and say WELL!!! 9 hours away at home, at work, and from my car..... just worried.

Looking it up, I also believe I fall under the 5yr/100k powertrain depending on what it is. Any one else familiar with what was the standard in Oct of 2014?
Old 09-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
Strydes

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS 6spd
Im sorry. I had no oil pressure on start up in my driveway with only 30k. I was so upset and I knew it was the oil pump from reading on the forum. Hope your engine is ok.
411rwhp/411trq
engine pulled/ oil pump fail
525 crate engine installed
391 gear installed
226/236 110 cam
tuned by full throttle speed
443@6000rpm /420trq@4900rpm
Strydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
firedruish

Okay guys...do I call the service manager, call GMC loyalty or just wait...

Dealership has had my car 5 days....5 DAYS and nothing!!! no diagnostic, no information nothing. I get told that they have 50 other customers they are also dealing with the the GM Strike is effecting them...

How does a strike on parts effect them diagnosing my car!!!!
Old 10-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
0-120

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
I’m amazed that folks believe a dealership isn’t in business to rob them blind.

Find a performance shop and get those mods installed at the same time.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Sounds like catastrophic engine failure to me, broke connecting rod most likely. And most extended warranties are a worthless POS, you have to keep everything exactly stock and all records of every oil change and recommended maintenance by the book documented and fight to get help!!! So good luck, and yes the GM workers earn most likely more than 60K a year striking to get more $, Kind of MEH, and Kaiser Permanente my heath care that supposed to be non -profit remodels every clinic every year and made 9 Billion in profits last year the Workers want more and may strike....And health care costs...………………..well thank god for Osama Care saving me that $2500.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Sounds like catastrophic engine failure to me, broke connecting rod most likely. And most extended warranties are a worthless POS, you have to keep everything exactly stock and all records of every oil change and recommended maintenance by the book documented and fight to get help!!! So good luck, and yes the GM workers earn most likely more than 60K a year striking to get more $, Kind of MEH, and Kaiser Permanente my heath care that supposed to be non -profit remodels every clinic every year and made 9 Billion in profits last year the Workers want more and may strike....And health care costs...………………..well thank god for Osama Care saving me that $2500.
You don't know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to GM workers. They are striking because of the abuse that new GM employees are experiencing. New employees are labeled as "temps" for over 3 years in an effort for GM to not pay them benefits of any kind. The regular workers are not striking for more pay, but to ensure that the new employees are treated properly. That's one union brother looking out for another, and risking their own pay to strike for the new guy or gal. It is not about higher pay for all.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #13
firedruish

Just got the following e-mail from the dealership.

"Clint Jessi
3:57 PM (4 minutes ago)
to me

Hey Liv,
Sorry I have been in and out of the office all day. We believe the Camaros engine is completely Locked up. In order to get it fully diagnosed, we need to get it on one of the racks. Currently the racks are tied up as we are still dealing with the GMC strike. Once a rack is available we will get the camaro on the rack and get a better answer for you.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #14
MeanV8

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS, Chevy Corvette,
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedruish View Post
Just got the following e-mail from the dealership.

"Clint Jessi
3:57 PM (4 minutes ago)
to me

Hey Liv,
Sorry I have been in and out of the office all day. We believe the Camaros engine is completely Locked up. In order to get it fully diagnosed, we need to get it on one of the racks. Currently the racks are tied up as we are still dealing with the GMC strike. Once a rack is available we will get the camaro on the rack and get a better answer for you.
Sorry to hear that!!

Dan
MeanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote