#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 07-20-2023, 11:01 AM   #15
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I’ve been test driving quite a few cars as I am about ready to move on as the ride in this car just wears on me after daily driving it for almost 3.5 years and 45k miles. My son is a Chevy tech and found my rear shocks seeping tonight. Gonna see if his dealer can get them warrantied. Not sure if they have been making it worse, but I doubt they’re helping.
Has anyone upgraded the shocks or springs or done coilovers and truly improved the ride? I loved the great balance of handling and ride my 17 SS non-1le had.
Would either of these two be a good way to go? I don’t want to spend big money and if I have to in order to achieve it, I would probably rather sell it.

I guess I would need a mrc defeat device, not sure what those cost.
Another option to improve ride quality would be to get 19” or 20” standard SS spec wheels and non-runflat tires. The additional sidewall flex should help ride quality. Maybe you can find a used set locally for a reasonable price to reduce the cost.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 11:21 AM   #16
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Thanks for the input. My son swears by replacing the "seeping" rear shocks it will help. It has seemingly gotten progressively worse since about last summer, so we will see what new ones do. I absolutely loved how my regular 1SS suspension rode and it did fantastic on HPDE weekends as well.
I don't know if I want to get back into a 3rd Camaro or not and I have a 15 Mustang GT PP manual. The manual trans in those suck and are garbage. If I end up selling it, I'll probably end up in something Euro that's "entertaining" to drive yet comfortable. I drive about 15k a year. I also have a 22 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT for my weekend "spirited" riding.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 12:34 PM   #17
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
I'd say get SS shocks in all 4 corners and it will ride better. Also get rid of runflats. That would be the cheapest option. Trade in is expensive.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 12:41 PM   #18
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
I’ve been test driving quite a few cars as I am about ready to move on as the ride in this car just wears on me after daily driving it for almost 3.5 years and 45k miles. My son is a Chevy tech and found my rear shocks seeping tonight. Gonna see if his dealer can get them warrantied. Not sure if they have been making it worse, but I doubt they’re helping.
Has anyone upgraded the shocks or springs or done coilovers and truly improved the ride? I loved the great balance of handling and ride my 17 SS non-1le had.
Would either of these two be a good way to go? I don’t want to spend big money and if I have to in order to achieve it, I would probably rather sell it.

https://attackingtheclockracing.com/...UaAs7jEALw_wcB

https://zzperformance.com/products/z...to6uLakN5JW1IU
After you get the shocks replaced if it's still too harsh, I'd recommend finding a softer sidewall tire. It is really amazing how much the tire can change the feel of the car. If you were to get something like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S I'd be willing to be the ride would be softer for you. I know when I put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 5th gen 1LE they were definitely softer then the stock good year tires. If you happen to know someone with a different set of tires on wheels that you could throw on your car and try that might be an easy way for you to feel the difference right away.

Also BTW, the stock good years are not run flats so those that are saying they are run flats are incorrect.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:49 PM   #19
Keko

Drives: 2023 ZLE M6
Local road quality also plays a big factor. I'm lucky to have some pretty smooth roads in my area, so even in the ZLE it's not that bad. Not having lumbar support does kind of suck for longer drives, though.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:55 PM   #20
Redlinez
Shifts under load

NickS, I just put brand new Supercar3's on as my previous Bridgestone/Conti combo wore out. Correct, they are not runflats. They were on my 1SS, but when I replaced them at like 13k miles, I did Michelin 4S's and they lasted 27k miles.
The roads around here are starting to get worse due to the influx of population and growth. It's far worse around where I grew up near Roanoke VA. Those back mountain roads are terrible.
Old 07-20-2023, 01:08 PM   #21
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:

Well you could install set of KW Variant 3 coilovers like I did on my SS. I did it really to improve the handling which is absolutely does along with a better ride. Theses are completely adjustible on rebound (16 settings) and compression (12 settings). You can make the ride as soft or as stiff as you want. You can also adjust ride height. These are GERMAN made of VERY HIGH quailty and will cost you about 3K.

I run MS4S tires on the street and the ride is firm but not harsh at all.

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/products/coilovers/v3

I purchased my KWs from www.wildhammermotorsports.com
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 07-20-2023 at 01:28 PM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 02:05 PM   #22
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Do magride shocks "leak"?

What PSI you running?
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 02:17 PM   #23
CTRifecta

Drives: 2SS 1LE
sounds like you're just ready for something new, no matter what
CTRifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 03:19 PM   #24
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
SLE is pretty comfortable in tour, but the 20" SC3s are pretty firm. Maybe go with 19" Michelins, it'll make a big difference. I used to have a set of 265/40/19s for winter, very noticeable difference vs the OEM tires.
Old 07-20-2023, 05:41 PM   #25
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Yes, the magneride shocks leak. Mine are in the rear.

I'm not really and truly wanting to get rid of the car, the ride has just gotten progressively worse and I'm not getting younger. I feel like it's worse when it's colder or hotter out.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:21 AM   #26
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
If the ride is getting progressively worse than you probably just need to fix whats broken. The damping on the MRC dampers is very good. Most of the harshness of the ride is actually from how low profile the 1LE tires are. Your last SS Camaro didn't have 285/30/R20 tires up front I'm guessing. The cheapest solution for you would be to trade someone with the normal SS wheels and tires for your 1LE wheels and tires and maybe they throw in some cash. You'll still have your 1LE now more comfortable for no cost.
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 11:16 AM   #27
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:

If you want a more comfortable ride whilst preserving the handling, the shocks and springs are not the first place to look. It's the rubber band thickness of the sidewalls. Go to a smaller diameter wheel and run a tire with more sidewall and it will make heaps of difference. Having fresh shocks out back will also help.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 11:40 AM   #28
GXP08jrf

Drives: 2016 1LT 'Vert
Replace 'em

OP: Absolutely replace the leakers as you're fist step and then reevaluate. Unlike conventional shocks, magrides warp and seize as their failure mode up to the point where you'll get no suspension articulation at all.

The rate of failure & replacement may dictate if you want to go with different aftermarket components, or consider a different setup.

100% agreement on ditching RFT/RoFs for conventional tire construction as a close 2nd step.
GXP08jrf is offline   Reply With Quote