Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Got gas?

The other day, a spontaneous memory hit me: I recall that a few years ago, there was a product sold in stores that is a safe gasoline substitute, intended to be carried in a vehicle for use when one, oops, runs out of gasoline. It is safe for all gasoline engines, gets the same mileage as gasoline, but in non- flammable (safe to carry in any passenger vehicle), and comes in a sealed gallon jug. -----paragraph------ However, I can't seem to find it in any store. I'd like to carry a jug, just because I like to be prepared for any and all situations. An online search indicates that the product was discontinued a few years ago due to lawsuits filed by "Big Oil," an industry that was opposed to this, seeing it as cutting into their share of the pie. -----paragraph----- It has been marketed under the product names, "Prestone Rescue," "Spare Tank," "Spare Fuel," and "Extra Fuel." There may have been others. ----paragraph----- Some online comments have indicated that this is nothing but Kerosene. Anybody got good intel on the validity of that? Can Kerosene be safely run through a gasoline engine, at least for a short time (one note, the instructions for this product include that it can only be used on a "warm" engine... you can't start a cold engine with it, and IF you do use the product, do not park the car overnight afterwards unless you have already filled the tank with gasoline (or else you may not be able to restart the car on just the emergency fuel)? ----paragraph----- Anybody know if it's still available anywhere?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Seriously?
How often do you (or have you) ran out of gas?

Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere, there is always a gas station within rage of your fuel tank capacity.

If you try to carry an extra container of fuel (I don't know of any "non-flammable" substitute), you run the risk of having some kind of spill and/or fire.
It's just not safe in a passenger car.

It costs no more to keep your fuel tank full, than it does to run around on empty all the time.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
That is very ----paragraph----- interesting but I don't think ----paragraph----- I would put anything like what you're describing ----paragraph----- into my car.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
This makes no sense what so ever.

First off...how often do you run out of gas? Your fuel pump must LOVE you.

Second....its non-flammable? Then how are you getting it to....oh I don't know....COMBUST?? Water is non-flammable....try it and let me know the result lol

FYI... Kerosene is flammable....
Old 09-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Seriously?
How often do you (or have you) ran out of gas?

Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere, there is always a gas station within rage of your fuel tank capacity.

If you try to carry an extra container of fuel (I don't know of any "non-flammable" substitute), you run the risk of having some kind of spill and/or fire.
It's just not safe in a passenger car.

It costs no more to keep your fuel tank full, than it does to run around on empty all the time.
I have never run out of gas.Being "within range" of a gas station has nothing to do with whether or not a car CAN run out of gas... or a wife or a teenager or an old lady on the side of the road (yes, I stop and help old ladies). The POINT of the product is that it is safe in a passenger car. Perhaps you have some sense or feeling that it is not, so don't carry it yourself. Brilliant... who would have ever known that it costs no more the run around with a full tank than on empty? Amazing. Thanks for the knowledge! And.... you've certainly made it very clear that you have (A) Decided that I don't need it, (B) that I SHOULDN'T have it, and (C) that you felt like taking the time to reply to a post in some way that had nothing to do with the request, but, hey, whatever. I was actually posing the question towards people who might know a little sump'n sump'n about it, as opposed to having it "answered" by people who think that since THEY don't want it, that therefore there is no possible need for it for anybody.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
CUONCRS

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS/RS
I've had a gallon of that in my wife's car for 6 years, and we've never run out and had to use it. Hate to think how many times we would have run out if we didn't have it there.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Yes right

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUONCRS View Post
I've had a gallon of that in my wife's car for 6 years, and we've never run out and had to use it. Hate to think how many times we would have run out if we didn't have it there.

You cant fool me ! They call that moonshine where I come from ..
Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
You probably can't find it because it A) never caught on; or B) it didn't work and was just a snake oil scam. I'm betting on option B.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy56 View Post
You cant fool me ! They call that moonshine where I come from ..
...which raises another interesting question: There are lot of people online who have suggested that using off the shelf booze, at least the higher proof types, will work in a pinch. I've heard that not EVERYTHING online is gospel truth (although I AM a French model!), so I'd like to find out a little more science behind that before I waste a gallon of Bacardi on a trick that might cost me an engine...
Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
This makes no sense what so ever.

First off...how often do you run out of gas? Your fuel pump must LOVE you.

Second....its non-flammable? Then how are you getting it to....oh I don't know....COMBUST?? Water is non-flammable....try it and let me know the result lol

FYI... Kerosene is flammable....
Winner! To get something to be useful as combustion, guess what it's flammable!

Definition of Kerosene: A combustible hydrocarbon liquid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
The POINT of the product is that it is safe in a passenger car. Perhaps you have some sense or feeling that it is not, so don't carry it yourself.
You do realize that you drive on public roads so decisions you make could effect others in your area

Question is what is the shelf life or life expectancy of this product? Seeing as you may be carrying it in your car for a while. I know gasoline "decomposes" (is that the correct term?) after a couple months of just sitting.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
We just spent a whole week going over fuel information. I wouldnt use it. You dont know how long its been sitting on a shelf and real gasoline only has a shelf life of about 3 months btw unless you add Sta-Bil to it but even then you cant store it forever. Not all cars are designed the same and some do not run right on different octanes (different octane different burn rate ect). So that whole works on any car thing right there has me worried. Youre best bet is to stay away from it.

I also dont think just keeping a container of gas in the trunk all the is very safe. Trunks get hot and gas expands add a spark and the next thing you know youre a 70's mustang without being rear-ended lmao. XD

As for the alcohol statement, putting fuels with high alcohol content into an engine not built/modded for it will ruin it. Cars that are designed to use E85 for instance come with steel fuel rails, graphite commutator bars, diamond-like carbon corrosion resistant injectors, and alcohol resistant o-rings and hoses. They also use sensors to adjust timing and quantity of fuel delivered. It also has a different burn rate than regular gasoline.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
You do know it's easier to hit the Enter key twice instead of type our "-----paragraph-----" right?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Scalded Dog

Flammabily is defined by flash point. A consumer product can be considered (and labeled)non- flammable when it has a ridiculously high flash point. Most people don't understand how that can be, but, for example, Diesel fuel is not considered "flammable:" It IS considered to be "combustible," and there is a remarkable difference between the two. Yes, everybody has seen 18-wheelers in the movies blow up when their diesel tanks get shot, have a cigarette dropped into them, or get rammed by somebody... but that's not science, that's Hollywood.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Scalded Dog

The claimed shelf life of the product is over ten years... one of its selling points is that it does not degrade at the rate that gasoline degrades.