Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
BenLC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Diffuser doesn't line up

I just installed an OEM 1LE diffuser after removing the factory GFX, but both of the sides look like this. I'm assuming that's not normal?
Attached Images

BenLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Never installed this type but I have seen many others post about this same problem with diffusers
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #3
BenLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 View Post
Never installed this type but I have seen many others post about this same problem with diffusers
Huh, I couldn't find any posts regarding this. Maybe I'm just blind lol.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:21 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 View Post
I have read that a lot too, but not on OEM parts.
He is trying to install an OEM 1LE diffuser, which you would assume would fit perfectly. The top isn't really that bad but the side is much worse. I'm sure the bumper installed on GFX cars is identical to the others, so this really is weird. Only other thing I could think of is if the new diffuser was a little warped or bent from shipping, causing it to come up short on the sides.

Ben, not trying to insult, but you are 100% sure that is a GM branded diffuser?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:38 PM   #5
BenLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I have read that a lot too, but not on OEM parts.
He is trying to install an OEM 1LE diffuser, which you would assume would fit perfectly. The top isn't really that bad but the side is much worse. I'm sure the bumper installed on GFX cars is identical to the others, so this really is weird. Only other thing I could think of is if the new diffuser was a little warped or bent from shipping, causing it to come up short on the sides.

Ben, not trying to insult, but you are 100% sure that is a GM branded diffuser?
Haha, no offense taken. I'm pretty sure it is, I ordered it from Summit Racing, so it wasn't from some random site. I also made sure the manufacturer part number on Summit matched the official GM part number. I'm hoping Summit will let me exchange it, cus it looks pretty lousy. I was excited to finally get it installed after spending about 6 hours getting the dang 10 year old 3M tape residue off from the GFX, only to be disappointed with the fitment lol.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #6
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
The only difference in 2010-13 rear fascias is later 2010 and on versions had the holes for backup sensors. If the GM part number is molded onto the back of this 1LE diffuser, Sumitt got a knock off part or the supplier for GM changed their molding dies, highly unlikely. You had the rear fascia off the car to remove the GFX diffuser and install this one correct?
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
BenLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
The only difference in 2010-13 rear fascias is later 2010 and on versions had the holes for backup sensors. If the GM part number is molded onto the back of this 1LE diffuser, Sumitt got a knock off part or the supplier for GM changed their molding dies, highly unlikely. You had the rear fascia off the car to remove the GFX diffuser and install this one correct?
There isn't a part number molded on that I noticed, I just compared the part number displayed on Summit's site. And no, actually I didn't have the fascia off. I didn't think it was necessary? That being said, I had zero issues removing the GFX, other than the 3M tape being stubborn it was really pretty easy and nothing was damaged. And as for installing the 1LE diffuser, I just followed these instructions: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153221

Edit: Summit just sent out a replacement, so hopefully it fits correctly.

Last edited by BenLC; 08-24-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I believe GM parts have their logo branded or stamped into them. Not sure if its done on all parts, but I am fairly certain there should be some sort of identifier.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
The ones Summit sells might be a knock-off made by another company and they are listing it as the GM part number. I have seen this with other parts folks bought that said they were GM, but weren't. When I bought my 1LE diffuser I got it from my Chevy dealership and it has the GM part number molded on the inside of it, even the stock SS one I took off had a part number on it. I have noticed with ALL GM replacement parts I purchased, including the tail light bezels, the GM part number is on them. I got a set of gloss black ones from Phastek and they didn't have any part number on them. Good luck sir.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #10
BenLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
The ones Summit sells might be a knock-off made by another company and they are listing it as the GM part number. I have seen this with other parts folks bought that said they were GM, but weren't. When I bought my 1LE diffuser I got it from my Chevy dealership and it has the GM part number molded on the inside of it, even the stock SS one I took off had a part number on it. I have noticed with ALL GM replacement parts I purchased, including the tail light bezels, the GM part number is on them. I got a set of gloss black ones from Phastek and they didn't have any part number on them. Good luck sir.
I just went and checked and it does indeed have the part number molded in. I must've just gotten a dud..
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #11
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Was the rear bumper cover ever changed? Are you the original owner?
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #12
BenLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Was the rear bumper cover ever changed? Are you the original owner?
No, I'm the second owner. To my knowledge the bumper has never been replaced, but it's possible. Though I don't think that's the problem. There are no other fitment issues anywhere else on the car, and the factory GFX diffuser I removed fit perfectly.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:19 AM   #13
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLC View Post
No, I'm the second owner. To my knowledge the bumper has never been replaced, but it's possible. Though I don't think that's the problem. There are no other fitment issues anywhere else on the car, and the factory GFX diffuser I removed fit perfectly.
is the fitment issue with the rear quarter panel? Or is that same gap on both sides? I agree, something just doesn't seem to be right on that alignment and it has so be something with all the parts it is connecting to.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #14
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
is the fitment issue with the rear quarter panel? Or is that same gap on both sides? I agree, something just doesn't seem to be right on that alignment and it has so be something with all the parts it is connecting to.
^^^ agreed, there must be something else going on as that diffuser should just fit right in there without any gaps all the way around. Wonder if it might be a spacing issued due to the GFX rear bumper maybe being a bit wider at the diffuser area? Matbe a wider opening?