Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #29
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
LOL! I own a Hellcat and am looking at the ZL1 1LE as my next purchase.

I've owned everything from Evo X to M5's, but some of the forum folk here are SUPER sensitive and obviously have a lot of ego wrapped up in their cars and are hardcore fanboys.

Thus anything less than a cheerleading session becomes a "troll" who should be banned. But there are some real enthusiasts here. You'll just have to learn who they are.

Rob
Knew I could count on you to prove my point, skippy... thanks
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #30
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
I'm considering buying a ZL1, so I don't know why folks immediately went into "troll" mode. I'm not even considering a 2018 Stang.

The comment about "special" is totally subjective. I'm not sure why folks are picking up on the single negative in a largely positive post.
Some of us here are wearing our panties a little too tight. Ignore them. We are all allowed to have our own opinions and share them.

As for me I have had 4 Camaros in a row but not a fan boy. I think my 5th gen ZL1 was more "special" than my '16 SS. But that's just me.

I am considering a CA6 ZL1, but after spending some time in a 2017 S550 coyote I am wondering if I want to spend all that money on another car with such bad outward visibility. I really liked the '17 GT, but I wish I could have the handling and rock solid chassis of the Camaro with the less tank-like visibility of the Mustang. I pulled up to a CA6 Camaro at a light and wondered how do I even see out of that thing? Looks are subjective, but to me the S550s are better looking than the Camaro.

Just to be clear, I do like my SS. And just to be clear on the new ZL1, although I have never driven one, I am sure the chassis, speed, and driving experience would be "special" to me. While the driving experience is a big part of why we choose these cars, it is not everything. Lap times are fun to talk about, but unless you track your car those numbers are meaningless.

But OP if you have the dough to look at the ZL1, don't you want to wait and see what the next GT500 brings? I do.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #31
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Some of us here are wearing our panties a little too tight. Ignore them. We are all allowed to have our own opinions and share them.

As for me I have had 4 Camaros in a row but not a fan boy. I think my 5th gen ZL1 was more "special" than my '16 SS. But that's just me.

I am considering a CA6 ZL1, but after spending some time in a 2017 S550 coyote I am wondering if I want to spend all that money on another car with such bad outward visibility. I really liked the '17 GT, but I wish I could have the handling and rock solid chassis of the Camaro with the less tank-like visibility of the Mustang. I pulled up to a CA6 Camaro at a light and wondered how do I even see out of that thing? Looks are subjective, but to me the S550s are better looking than the Camaro.

Just to be clear, I do like my SS. And just to be clear on the new ZL1, although I have never driven one, I am sure the chassis, speed, and driving experience would be "special" to me. While the driving experience is a big part of why we choose these cars, it is not everything. Lap times are fun to talk about, but unless you track your car those numbers are meaningless.

But OP if you have the dough to look at the ZL1, don't you want to wait and see what the next GT500 brings? I do.
way too tight!

I love my ZL1, but if I could afford both, or was getting another car right now.. I'd maybe get the new '18 GT with the A10 and Whipple it. They are throwing down crazy numbers.

Everyone gets so upset as soon as someone says anything not 100% pro camaro
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #32
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Well said. You sound like a real car enthusiast. My only comment would be that the GT350 just short of being special, but the R version is a wonderful car to drive and probably the most rewarding at the wheel.

My Hellcat is rewarding at the throttle!

And the ZL1 and 1LE is the overall champ because it checks so many boxes as a sports car. I do wish it had another stock 50 HP, but that's just the kid in me talking.

R.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #33
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
LOL! I own a Hellcat and am looking at the ZL1 1LE as my next purchase.

I've owned everything from Evo X to M5's, but some of the forum folk here are SUPER sensitive and obviously have a lot of ego wrapped up in their cars and are hardcore fanboys.

Thus anything less than a cheerleading session becomes a "troll" who should be banned. But there are some real enthusiasts here. You'll just have to learn who they are.

I don't think your test drive was likely to give proper measure of the car. A test drive is not "driving." A friend of a friend worked things out and I got to try a ZL1 1LE on a mountain drive (for about 20 miles) at Angeles Crest. I can assure you that it's beyond special. I guess we could call the regular ZL1 "sensibly special!" LOL

Rob
But as a car, it's HORRIBLE. When I read that owners and testers "couldn't wait to get out of it" I honestly thought they must be some seriously weak drivers. Years back I used to drive a modded MGB that had previously been tracked and it barely had a suspension. But it was a Lexus compared to the 1LE.

The ride is horrible, absolutely terrible in every respect, jarring and annoying beyond words. The roads at Angeles Crest are famous for drivers, but even that fairly smooth road was fairly unpleasant after 20 minutes.

R. Rob

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #34
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Thanks. I'm just convinced that the GT500 is going to have insane dealer mark ups and the car will be $10-15k over the GT350R. I think we are also 18-24 months from having one on the road.

I think the Camaro is a huge value at $60ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

Old 12-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #35
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
But as a car, it's HORRIBLE. When I read that owners and testers "couldn't wait to get out of it" I honestly thought they must be some seriously weak drivers. Years back I used to drive a modded MGB that had previously been tracked and it barely had a suspension. But it was a Lexus compared to the 1LE.

The ride is horrible, absolutely terrible in every respect, jarring and annoying beyond words. The roads at Angeles Crest are famous for drivers, but even that fairly smooth road was fairly unpleasant after 20 minutes.

R. Rob

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yup, and I stand by those comments. Still leaning towards the 1LE, but I'll keep my Mercedes and Hellcat and the 1LE will be a pure toy.

I figure it's okay to have a "toy" car again, though I had swore it off after the Evo X. My friend drives his Lambo once a month and he's happy, so I'll be driving the 1LE much more...should be a ton of fun.

Enjoy your old car, skippy!

R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:11 AM   #36
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Thanks. I'm just convinced that the GT500 is going to have insane dealer mark ups and the car will be $10-15k over the GT350R. I think we are also 18-24 months from having one on the road.

I think the Camaro is a huge value at $60ish.
This was my #1 reason for buying a ZL1. Couldn't get over the fact that I would be giving a dealer a ton of money to sell the car to me. I get it that dealers are in the business to make money but 10-15K for a 350GT (not to mention the R) over MSRP is ludicrous.

I am very curious to see what the GT500 is going to look like but, man, that dealer markup is going to be insane. And that's IF Ford decides to make them.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #37
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
This was my #1 reason for buying a ZL1. Couldn't get over the fact that I would be giving a dealer a ton of money to sell the car to me. I get it that dealers are in the business to make money but 10-15K for a 350GT (not to mention the R) over MSRP is ludicrous.

I am very curious to see what the GT500 is going to look like but, man, that dealer markup is going to be insane. And that's IF Ford decides to make them.
If there is a $15k markup, it has to be a little unnerving to Ford that the dealer would make more money than the manufacturer. I don't get Ford: Raptor: fail, Aluminum bed: fail, problems with the 'stang and no manufacturer backup: fail, GT: fail (essentially as there are far better vehicles for that price).

It would be great if the GT500 is released with power, steering, traction, comfort, braking, durability, etc. to compete with the HC, ZL1, 1LE, etc., but at what cost? If the out-the-door price is 30-35% more than those models, it is no longer really competing with them.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #38
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
way too tight!

I love my ZL1, but if I could afford both, or was getting another car right now.. I'd maybe get the new '18 GT with the A10 and Whipple it. They are throwing down crazy numbers.

Everyone gets so upset as soon as someone says anything not 100% pro camaro
Unreal numbers. Plain Jane 18 GT with tune, tire, and e85 alone beat an M6 ZL1 (11.3 ish). That hurts my feelings a little. Make me wonder if going down to an SS just to mod the heck out of it would be a better choice than my M6 now. Grrrr...if GM would just fix this BOGGING

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
If there is a $15k markup, it has to be a little unnerving to Ford that the dealer would make more money than the manufacturer. I don't get Ford: Raptor: fail, Aluminum bed: fail, problems with the 'stang and no manufacturer backup: fail, GT: fail (essentially as there are far better vehicles for that price).

It would be great if the GT500 is released with power, steering, traction, comfort, braking, durability, etc. to compete with the HC, ZL1, 1LE, etc., but at what cost? If the out-the-door price is 30-35% more than those models, it is no longer really competing with them.
It begs the question how they continually sell so well doesn't it? With social media these days, no company that offers even the perception of bad value can remain in business for too long - and yet these things still fly off the shelves. I can't figure it out.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #39
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Unreal numbers. Plain Jane 18 GT with tune, tire, and e85 alone beat an M6 ZL1 (11.3 ish). That hurts my feelings a little. Make me wonder if going down to an SS just to mod the heck out of it would be a better choice than my M6 now. Grrrr...if GM would just fix this BOGGING

It begs the question how they continually sell so well doesn't it? With social media these days, no company that offers even the perception of bad value can remain in business for too long - and yet these things still fly off the shelves. I can't figure it out.
LOL! Tune, tire, and E85 on a SS could beat a stock ZL1 too. Look at it like this...tune and E85 will get that car to about 450 to the wheels if not more. Then put a tire on it so that you can launch it and it'll dead hook. Compared to a ZL1 making more hp but on a street tire. It is common knowledge that a car that hooks and has less hp will beat a car with more power that isn't going to hook as well. For the record I did a 12.8 in my bolt-on SS with street tires while a guy with a Paxton supercharged 2015 GT making 800 to the wheels ran a 13. Was my car faster? Now do a roll with both cars and see what happens. Add the same mods to the ZL1 and see what happens (we already have a guy doing 10.9s bone stock BTW). Throw both cars on a track and see what happens. I'd hardly feel bad if a GT with enough mods to void it's warranty beat my fully warrantied bone stock 11 sec ZL1. But that's just me. Plus we have yet to see if those results are consistent. Lund claiming to do an 11.3 is one thing. People trying to duplicate that run might not happen. Your ZL1 will do a low 11 at any time on any track at any time of the year bone stock. Plus we don't compare modded cars to stock cars anyway. If we did then the imports would be bragging about how they can build a 1-run grenade for $1300 that'll beat any bone stock SS or GT, lol!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #40
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
LOL! Tune, tire, and E85 on a SS could beat a stock ZL1 too. Look at it like this...tune and E85 will get that car to about 450 to the wheels if not more. Then put a tire on it so that you can launch it and it'll dead hook. Compared to a ZL1 making more hp but on a street tire. It is common knowledge that a car that hooks and has less hp will beat a car with more power that isn't going to hook as well. For the record I did a 12.8 in my bolt-on SS with street tires while a guy with a Paxton supercharged 2015 GT making 800 to the wheels ran a 13. Was my car faster? Now do a roll with both cars and see what happens. Add the same mods to the ZL1 and see what happens (we already have a guy doing 10.9s bone stock BTW). Throw both cars on a track and see what happens. I'd hardly feel bad if a GT with enough mods to void it's warranty beat my fully warrantied bone stock 11 sec ZL1. But that's just me. Plus we have yet to see if those results are consistent. Lund claiming to do an 11.3 is one thing. People trying to duplicate that run might not happen. Your ZL1 will do a low 11 at any time on any track at any time of the year bone stock. Plus we don't compare modded cars to stock cars anyway. If we did then the imports would be bragging about how they can build a 1-run grenade for $1300 that'll beat any bone stock SS or GT, lol!!

I completely get what you’re saying. I guess my point was that _MY_ ZL1 will not ever do a low 11, any time of year bone stock, because it’s an M6 - and I don’t want an auto.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #41
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
I completely get what you’re saying. I guess my point was that _MY_ ZL1 will not ever do a low 11, any time of year bone stock, because it’s an M6 - and I don’t want an auto.
That's specifically why I opted for the auto... I loved having my manual SS...and I did enjoy driving the M6 ZL1...but I did not want the bogging issue...and it's absolutely bad in the M6...
Old 12-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #42
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post

The dealer markup is insane on a GT350R. Not worth it and as you said no longer really competing. The ADM is more icing on the cake and what is it, it is still just cake. Not getting more cake....

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote