Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
Stubbz

Drives: 2011 camaro SS
Warranty violation need input

so I went to get my car looked at by my chevy dealer and they said they would do any internal work until I gave the go ahead to do so. I said I wanna talk to my extend warranty provider before doing so to ensure that the will cover the cost of it , the claims provider asked if the car was modified and we said yes, the service manager ask the provider what do you consider modification's, the provider said as long as the ECU has not been messed with its not modified. after hearing that I gave the go ahead to tear down. Come to find out a week later after the my warranty company sent a adjuster to to confirm damages he noticed that I had no Cats on the car, after seeing that the warranty company says that I voided my warranty and they will no pay. but stated before the claims provider on the phone said it would not be a issue. so now I have to pay for this even tho I was told one thing by one person and another by someone else I am stuck with a car that has been torn down for a mistake by warranty company so what do I do. anyone know what I can do or what to do.
Stubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
That's why you get everything in writing. Did you get a name for the person that approved it in the first place?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
Stubbz

yea the service manager at chevy and I both have his name who gave us th go ahead to break the motor down. the dealer I bought the car from and the dealer doing the repairs are talking to each other to see if they can get this resolved
Old 01-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
Stubbz

the car is getting fixed due to lifter failure. the adjustor denied the claim because my car has aftermarket headers CAI and lowered so they stating that's why they are denying the claim. but according to the law they have to justify how those mods caused this issue before they can deny it. I had the oil pump replaced a year or so ago and when that went that is what more then likely caused the issue instead of the mods.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbz View Post
but according to the law they have to justify how those mods caused this issue before they can deny it.
Sorry but the MM act don't mean jack squat in the real world. What will happen if you try to push this issue is you will have to pony up the cash to get a lawyer and take them to court. They will come in with a team of lawyers and hundreds of tests and studies that show that any mod's or changes that isn't factory can, do and will have unforeseen side effects and damages. Then the burden of proof is on you to prove that it didn't.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
When you mod a car engine, you pretty much are going to get pushback from a warranty claim. Almost assuredly.

Good luck with this.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
if you modified any product I sold you I wouldn't cover it either. common sense.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #8
Tha Snowman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
So you are running headers with no tune? Thats just asking for trouble.
Tha Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
Aaron0731

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Sorry but the MM act don't mean jack squat in the real world. What will happen if you try to push this issue is you will have to pony up the cash to get a lawyer and take them to court. They will come in with a team of lawyers and hundreds of tests and studies that show that any mod's or changes that isn't factory can, do and will have unforeseen side effects and damages. Then the burden of proof is on you to prove that it didn't.
I could be wrong but I believe the burden of proof is on them to prove that the mods caused the failure.
Aaron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
if you modified any product I sold you I wouldn't cover it either. common sense.
That seems kinda silly. So if you had an extended powertrain warranty added to a used car you bought, then decided to change something like the wheels, headlights, or something else that is overall minor and irrelevant to the part that has failed, you would agree that the warranty paid for shouldn't cover it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron0731 View Post
I could be wrong but I believe the burden of proof is on them to prove that the mods caused the failure.

They have to prove the modifications caused the failure, not the other way around.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #11
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
The warranty company said as long as ecu was not tampered with they cover ... then the engine was opened for diagnostics seems logical they should also cover cost of putting it back together. If they do not want to pay for a new lifter, OP could pay for that part. Higher-ups in many warantee companies try every trick possible to avoid a payout ... even if it means going back on their reps word
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #12
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
The warranty company said as long as ecu was not tampered with they cover ... then the engine was opened for diagnostics seems logical they should also cover cost of putting it back together. If they do not want to pay for a new lifter, OP could pay for that part. Higher ups in many warantee companies try ever trick possible to avoid a payout ... even if it means going back on their reps word
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #13
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
That seems kinda silly. So if you had an extended powertrain warranty added to a used car you bought, then decided to change something like the wheels, headlights, or something else that is overall minor and irrelevant to the part that has failed, you would agree that the warranty paid for shouldn't cover it?

They have to prove the modifications caused the failure, not the other way around.
Prove it to Who?
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #14
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
MMA does not cover modifications and alterations, it's only for replacement maintenance parts to prevent tie in sales. Headers, CAI, and removing the cats would certainly void any manufacturer powertrain warranty.

Does MMA apply to purchased extended warranties? Read the actual warranty you purchased to see if modifications void it.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote