Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #1877
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
David Letterman posted the top 10 reasons why the 2013 shelby has not raced or posted road track times against the ZL1.

Quote:
10. They ran out of baklavas.
9. The planets aren't in proper alignment.
8. They are still practicing. So far, on the xbox, the shelby is faster.
7. Every time they go, a chevy guy sneaks in and pulls the spark plug wires.
6. A design "feature" for drag racing prevents the steering wheel from turning left or right above 90 mph.
5. The sun's too bright.
4. It's too cold right now.
3. It's been raining too much.
2. They did go to the track, but the stopwatch malfunctioned dag nabit.
1. They will only agree to race if Al O himself is driving the ZL1.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #1878
tt335ci03cobra

Drives: 03 cobra 5.3 4v fgt's+62's
Woah!! 95 pages!! It was at like 20~ 2 days ago right? I missed a lot and literally don't have the time to read it all.

Any big news in those 70 pages or just bench racing and relative banter?
-9.3/1 Livernois 5.3 modular, Diamond, Carrillo etc
-FGT heads stage 3 PnP'd, MMR stage 3 turbo grinds
-FR500c, custom split maf dual inlet, single blade etc
-Comp 62/65 T4's 3xbb, oil/water cooled, blankets etc
-CG Fab. ff headers, custom 3" hotside, Tial wastegates
-Dual in/out 3" cold side, Tial bov's, Truboost, SCT, NGk
-Custom 8qt oil, dual 405s return fuel with id2000's, etc
tt335ci03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #1879
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt335ci03cobra View Post
Woah!! 95 pages!! It was at like 20~ 2 days ago right? I missed a lot and literally don't have the time to read it all.

Any big news in those 70 pages or just bench racing and relative banter?
something like 5 or more threads were merged in to this one thread... and yes...bench racing at it's finest.
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #1880
JimmyDeanSausage
Banned

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post
David Letterman posted the top 10 reasons why the 2013 shelby has not raced or posted road track times against the ZL1.

They didn't post any 0-60 or 1/4 times either. How'd that work out for the ZL1?

You guys act like Chevy coming out with hero times for the ZL1 instead of letting independent testers do it for them is a GOOD thing.

Independent testing is coming soon. If the GT500 beats the ZL1 in the hands of Randy Pobst or at Lightning Lap you're going to need a nuclear reactor to cook all the crow that's going to be needed around here.
JimmyDeanSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #1881
gearhead08

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 and 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93TealCobra View Post
It's all bench racing for now, but I predict the excuses for when the GT500 beats the ZL1 to be:

1. The Camaro still looks better
2. (if applicable) The cars weren't run on the same day, with the same drive, on the same tide schedule, when the same planets were in alignment, etc.
3. Well that's on one (fill in the blank) track, but Ford still hasn't released numbers for the Nurburgring.
4. The 2013 ZL1 isn't out yet.
5. The ZL1 is still easier to drive for the average driver.
6. The ZL1 is still cheaper (even though MSRP is going up $1995 for 2013).
7. Just wait until the Camaro comes out on the Alpha platform.

I can't think of any more right now, but I'm sure I'm missing something.
Heres one the gt500 was running below a 1/4 tank of gas so therefore it was EXTREMELY lighter, and not a fair comparison.
gearhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #1882
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead08 View Post
Heres one the gt500 was running below a 1/4 tank of gas so therefore it was EXTREMELY lighter, and not a fair comparison.
Ahh the old gas tank advantage!! Nice!
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #1883
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Others believe Ford waited till the Camaro went on hiatus so GM couldn't embarrass them with an N/A 4th gen.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #1884
93TealCobra
Banned

Drives: 1993 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
Where exactly did this info come from?
Insider information from someone who evidently got screwed over by GM concerning a few design aspects of the Camaro.

He may be wrong, but I haven't seen him say something that wasn't 100% correct.

So don't be upset when you see that price tag up $2 g'bombs from 2012.

How fishy does that mysterious QC hold seem now? All those 2012 orders that got turned into 2013 orders...
93TealCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #1885
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Well howdy, boss '9er.

You obviously missed the erroneous "mass produced cars are not rare" posting...but that's fine. It's difficult to have all the answers, all the time...isn't it?
I don't see your point, the 1969-70 era cars you've brought up don't have any apples/apples relationship to this thread at all.

Quote:
BTW, thanks for bringing up the "horrendously overpriced '69 ZL1".
Again, this points towards your integrity. You put that in quotes, as if that's what I said.. I said that the ZL1 was hugely expensive for its time/era, which is fact, but I NEVER said it was "horrendously overpriced". Hell, I never said overpriced period. The cars cost what they cost back then, period. You're the one randomly typing weird comments about profitability and prices from 40+ years ago that applies to nothing.

Quote:
Here's what I suggest you consider doing: go to the attached website and plug in $61,000 Year 2012 Dollars (the price of a necessarily-equipped 202 mph GT 500) and see what that equates to...

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....012&year2=1969

Answer: A Brand New 5/50-warranted ZL1 AND a Base '69 Camaro Coupe!
"necessarily-equipped", that's rich. Do you believe your rhetoric?

Quote:
BOSS 429 Cougar, eh? Ever seen this document, before? Feel free to save it...

How much profit did Ford make on those '9s?!

GM made money on EVERY ZL1...
How do you know GM made any money on the ZL1? You're just guessing wildly. Furthermore, those Cougars builds don't represent the contracted cost that was negotiated for the Boss 429 builds (which was done niche-line style). You're just tossing out random junk blindly, you've yet to get a single fact straight or analogy-nailed.

Quote:
and anyone lucky enough to have a genuine ZL1 can exchange 'em for SEVERAL BOSSes, no matter the number...
Man, you just keep on chewing on your own foot... Google is a wonderful thing, you should use it. Last month the documented FIRST ZL1 produced, an arguably more-valuable-than-average ZL1 by that virtue, hammered-down for $400K. Over the last year, the other few ZL1's that have changed hands, have been in the $200K-$300K range..

Pretty much IDENTICAL to current 1969-1970 Boss 429 sales data, maybe a scoche higher, if you're averaging... So that statement above, again, like most of your "facts", is pure fiction.

And still, after taking another couple of your posts and sending them to the glue factory, I'm still wondering... What the hell do 1969 ZL1 and Boss 429 prices and build-numbers and build-executions have to do with 2012-2013 ZL1's and GT500's??

Hint: The answer is nothing, and if you guess nothing, it'll be the first thing you've been correct/accurate about since diving into this discussion.

Don't skip your lithium doses.
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #1886
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
What's the World Record price for a gen-you-whine ZL1? Not a Reggie Jackson burnt-'n-rebuilt one or a car in it's "original" racing livery, or "rebodied" like the $400K one, but a complete-down-to-the-battery-caps-like-a-BOSS '9 garage queen numbers-match COPO 9560?

And the BOSS, done up the same way?

Part of that is "numbers". Unlike the porcine BOSS, most-if-not-ALL ZL1s were RACED...seriously raced. BOSSes? Always were, and always are, garage/trailer queens...just like yours.

ZL1s as an option @ 4,100+ 1969 Greenbacks, not profitable? You could buy an L72 Camaro for less dough than an equally-equipped SS396/375 (L78) Camaro. You could buy a crate ZL1 for mid-$3s all day long...

BOSS '9s sold for mid-$4s. A bare-bones but Deluxe interior FE donor SportsRoof (like the M-code I had...) was into the $3s. The difference from the BOSS '9 Stang and the (2) BOSS '9 Cougar (as far as installation/conversion) was 3" of battery cable...

How much less, exactly, would 3" have saved Ford/KK on the Stang conversions?? And no, my wife doesn't have THAT answer...yours might...

Check YOUR blood pressure, 9er...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #1887
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I'm sure no Ford/Mopar sites have enjoyed the activity from "auto-wikipedia experts" and "just the facts, ma'am" professors as THIS site...and that, folks, speaks to your efforts to, once again, only increase the advertising value of this site.

The owners thank you, one and all...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #1888
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
Only on Camaro5 will you see such one sided logic like this. Its pure comedy once you slap the chit outta yourself to make sure your not dreaming this stuff up. Lol
Go read the forums on SVTPerformance and you'll see a similar number of knuckleheads posting dribble from the Blue Bowl over there......Oh wait, sorry.

And before you drag out the "fanboy" from the closet, I own both makes.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #1889
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
Quote:
What's the World Record price for a gen-you-whine ZL1? Not a Reggie Jackson burnt-'n-rebuilt one or a car in it's "original" racing livery, or "rebodied" like the $400K one, but a complete-down-to-the-battery-caps-like-a-BOSS '9 garage queen numbers-match COPO 9560?

And the BOSS, done up the same way?
Boss 429's have sold in excess of $600K before, but that was then, this is now... No one is paying those stupid prices anymore.

Face it, you can't have "several" Boss 429's for the price of a ZL1. It's a fact, you can't refute unless you're o.k. with lying (which is possible).

Quote:
Part of that is "numbers". Unlike the porcine BOSS, most-if-not-ALL ZL1s were RACED...seriously raced. BOSSes? Always were, and always are, garage/trailer queens...just like yours.
Un-true generalization, you don't know how much and how I drive my Boss, and you're just painting in broad strokes, in a POINTLESS debate.

Quote:
ZL1s as an option @ 4,100+ 1969 Greenbacks, not profitable? You could buy an L72 Camaro for less dough than an equally-equipped SS396/375 (L78) Camaro. You could buy a crate ZL1 for mid-$3s all day long...
You're ignoring how much R&D money got poured into that small run of all-aluminum 427's, and how that money gets amortized over a small-run. Again, you're way out of your league here. No manufacturer makes money on a run of 50 cars with unique engines, they'd have to charge 10-times what they did to even come close. Race cars aren't about making money.

Quote:
The difference from the BOSS '9 Stang and the (2) BOSS '9 Cougar (as far as installation/conversion) was 3" of battery cable...
Wrong again... Did you miss the words "specially prepared"?

69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #1890
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
Go read the forums on SVTPerformance and you'll see a similar number of knuckleheads posting dribble from the Blue Bowl over there......Oh wait, sorry.

And before you drag out the "fanboy" from the closet, I own both makes.
You mean this isn't the SVT forums? With all the circle jerking going on I thought I was in the wrong house.