Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Camaro Convertible Radio Antenna Is Hidden in the...

Reported on HOMEPAGE.

DETROIT – When spy shots surfaced of the pre-production version of the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible, an outcry went up among Camaro enthusiasts over the AM/FM whip antenna positioned on the rear deck lid.

Quite simply, they hated it.

Chevrolet was quick to respond, commissioning a self-described antenna freak named Don Hibbard to find a way to fix it. “Antennas are a beautiful thing to me,” says Hibbard, an antenna test performance engineer.

Engineers working on Camaro are passionate to drive perfection into every aspect of the vehicle. Hibbard and colleague Gregg Kittinger had to do what some thought was impossible: conceal the AM/FM antenna without sacrificing radio reception, while not putting it inside the Camaro's windows. The two, who share three other patents, happily accepted the challenge.

“We weren’t sure that it would be possible,” said Kittinger. “Typically antennas are hidden in a vehicle’s rear window, but with a retractable soft-top roof, that’s not an option.”

So they came up with a novel approach – hide the antenna inside the rear spoiler. No one had tried that on a Chevrolet before because of the hit to radio reception.

“We responded to a legitimate criticism from devoted Chevrolet Camaro enthusiasts and in 10 months found an innovative way to improve the overall aesthetics of the vehicle without sacrificing performance and quality,” said Kittinger.

While the shark fin antenna that transmits XM Satellite Radio, OnStar and cellular signals is still present on the car's deck lid, the built-in spoiler antenna eliminates the need for a longer, separate whip antenna to receive AM and FM radio signals.

Hibbard, a lifelong Ham radio enthusiast, says the unorthodox placement of the antenna within the body of the vehicle created a number of technical challenges, such as balancing form by preserving the car’s styling and function of unimpeded audio reception.

“Where other automakers have tried and failed, Chevy succeeded,” said Hibbard. “We hope to take what we’ve learned with the Camaro Convertible, build on it and apply it to future vehicles.”

The 2011 Camaro Convertible arrives in dealer showrooms this February.

JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
Just one question? what happens if said buyer want to change to an aftermarket spoiler?
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Unless said aftermarket spoiler has an antenna built in, you're SOL I guess...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
GM Media story: Camaro convertible antenna solution

From the GM Media site, the Camaro convertible antenna solution....

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us.../121710_camaro

Chevy Turns to Ham Radio Geek for Antenna Solution

Camaro Convertible is on his wavelength

2010-12-17

DETROIT – When spy shots surfaced of the pre-production version of the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible, an outcry went up among Camaro enthusiasts over the AM/FM whip antenna positioned on the rear deck lid.
Quite simply, they hated it.

Chevrolet was quick to respond, commissioning a self-described antenna freak named Don Hibbard to find a way to fix it. “Antennas are a beautiful thing to me,” says Hibbard, an antenna test performance engineer.
Engineers working on Camaro are passionate to drive perfection into every aspect of the vehicle. Hibbard and colleague Gregg Kittinger had to do what some thought was impossible: conceal the AM/FM antenna without sacrificing radio reception, while not putting it inside the Camaro's windows. The two, who share three other patents, happily accepted the challenge.

“We weren’t sure that it would be possible,” said Kittinger. “Typically antennas are hidden in a vehicle’s rear window, but with a retractable soft-top roof, that’s not an option.”

So they came up with a novel approach – hide the antenna inside the rear spoiler. No one had tried that on a Chevrolet before because of the hit to radio reception.

“We responded to a legitimate criticism from devoted Chevrolet Camaro enthusiasts and in 10 months found an innovative way to improve the overall aesthetics of the vehicle without sacrificing performance and quality,” said Kittinger.

While the shark fin antenna that transmits XM Satellite Radio, OnStar and cellular signals is still present on the car's deck lid, the built-in spoiler antenna eliminates the need for a longer, separate whip antenna to receive AM and FM radio signals.

Hibbard, a lifelong Ham radio enthusiast, says the unorthodox placement of the antenna within the body of the vehicle created a number of technical challenges, such as balancing form by preserving the car’s styling and function of unimpeded audio reception.

“Where other automakers have tried and failed, Chevy succeeded,” said Hibbard. “We hope to take what we’ve learned with the Camaro Convertible, build on it and apply it to future vehicles.”

The 2011 Camaro Convertible arrives in dealer showrooms this February.
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Cool! Thinking outside the box is one of the reasons that makes me confident that the "new GM" will succeed.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
SSN8R
Addicted to G's

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SSRS / 2002 Camaro SS NBM
Normally I fight for those that repost but...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120435

Aboout two threads below yours...
SSN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSN8R View Post
Normally I fight for those that repost but...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120435

Aboout two threads below yours...
Sorry about that, I looked and must have missed it! Just trying to spread good Camaro news, hopefully that's not a facepalm offense.
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Why not just put it in the windshield like they use to do ?

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
Why not just put it in the windshield like they use to do ?
Sure, then they could listen to everyone B***H about it being in the windshield.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
2010victoryredss_ron
Born: August 27, 2009

Drives: 10CAMARO SS,12CRUZE RS,07 YAM R6
Send a message via MSN to 2010victoryredss_ron
very interesting story
Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
MikeL

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
A.) People still use the radio?
B.) I hope they truly did preserve the reception. Reception is bad enough for me with normal antennas.
C.) GOOD WORK! I love innovation, it leads to bigger and better things.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
what about when you build it on chevy.com and that long antena come up on the rear trunk lid is that real or is it just the website?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
Allanski

Drives: Car
Allanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanski View Post
The work in progress....

Name:  antenna image.jpg
Views: 8216