Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-20-2019, 10:01 PM   #15
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Have a new Tahoe ordered for the wife, slated to be built but waiting for the strike. I also just ordered a pile from Adam's, including ceramic spray to coat it as soon as we take it. Are you guys sure I can no longer use detail spray on it after that? I would be pretty upset if I had ruined the ceramic after all the money and work....
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:37 PM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Yeah, short term, I can use it on the other two vehicles. But I plan on having the wifes Terrain coated as well. At which point, I will have a bit of useless products.
Exactly what I'm doing, except the other two vehicles go through the drive through wash most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Have a new Tahoe ordered for the wife, slated to be built but waiting for the strike. I also just ordered a pile from Adam's, including ceramic spray to coat it as soon as we take it. Are you guys sure I can no longer use detail spray on it after that? I would be pretty upset if I had ruined the ceramic after all the money and work....
Once you have a coat of Ceramic on it's like a permanent shine. Detail spray would work just like it does before Ceramic and just coat over it and you then would have to keep maintaining that. Kind of taking a small step backwards.

I use the waterless wash now just like I did detail spray before.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #17
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Got it, thanks!
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #18
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Your regular Adams shampoo is fine for a 2 bucket wash on a ceramic coated car.
If you want to add an extra layer on top of the coating, you can use either the Adams Wash & Coat, or the Ceramic Boost. W&C lasts about 9 weeks, and Boost about 16.

The Boost is a little more difficult to use, and is prone to streaking if over-applied. I've found that a mid/short knap microfiber, like Adams Single Soft, works best with it.

Do not spray it directly on the paint, spray it on the towel, 2 sprays, then spread. Use a separate dry towel after spreading to remove excess. Flip the dry towel to a fresh, unused section for each panel. This process has worked the best for me, for eliminating streaking.

Though it doesn't last as long, I'm a fan of the W&C, simply because I'm going to wash the car anyway, and this eliminates the step of applying something else after drying.

Besides the added gloss, the biggest benefit of a coating is how much easier it makes your car to wash, because less dirt will stick to the coated surface.

After you rinse the soap off, be sure and do a pooling rinse, this will remove 90% or more of the water that is laying on the surface, then use your blower to get the rest. You'll only have a few drops left here and there which can be blotted up with a microfiber towel. No wiping means 0% chance to scratch your paint while drying.

You can use a regular waterless wash. As long as it doesn't contain anything like a wax/gloss enhancer in it. These wont hurt the coating they will just reduce the hydrophobic effect.

The Adams strip wash also works very well when your "topper" is beginning to fade. 1.5 oz. in a foam cannon, allowed to dwell a few minutes without drying, will remove the topper, without causing any damage to the coating.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #19
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Thanks Joe... great info and love the junkman, but what's a topper?

Also, I get rubber marks from the track that are difficult to get off even with the Ceramic Coating. Any products for getting this black rubber off the car without messing up the coating. I've been hitting it pretty hard with waterless wash and rubbing pretty hard. Probably a better way or product for this.