Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #43
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I've got two Blue Danes. 1 Male (9) and 1 Female (9). Do some research on Bloat. It is very easy to avoid if you follow some simple rules.

I leave food down all the time for my dogs. If you let them graze all day, they are much less likely to feel like they have to inhale their food (also helps prevent bloat)
Do Not use plastic bowls for food or water. They hold bacteria and your dog will get acne on the under side of their chin and around their muzzle.
Crate training works!!!!
The best chew toy in the world is a left over empty soda bottle.
Danes will figure out how to open doors. (Never put decorative door handles on that they can use their chin to open, otherwise you will come home and they will be asleep in your bed.)
No need for a burgalar alarm, just one "woof" and they usually pee them selves.
Not all danes drool or slobber. Some actually know how to drink, but choose not to so they can soak the tile floor and then play in it.
The top of the fridge is not as safe as you may think.
The bigger the puppy, the bigger the puppy chew damage is.
Bitter Apple “no bite” may not make you want to chew on something, but that doesn’t mean that your dog won’t want to chew on the apple.
When taking the dog to the vet, park, on a walk, etc, be prepared to take twice as long as intended. People love to talk about the dog, and the dog loves attention.
You will never go to work without dog hair on you again, no matter how much you brush them.
The more they love you, the more they must wipe their jowls on you as your on your way out the door.
Babygates!!!! They may not look like much, but my danes will not try to step over them.

There are way too many things to go over. You have got the best dog ever bred. Love it and it will love you more then you can imagine.

Treat it right or we will find you.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #44
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
You all have been great with the advice so far, she's doing well at home, still a little bit of adjusting to the new surroundings. I am confident that she'll be fine in a few days though. having a little trouble getting her on the leash, We have a retractable leash that we use for our other odg and she absolutely hates being on it which causes her to just plant her butt down when we attach it to her collar. Which causes issues with potty training because she won't stay outside lol she just likes the inside too much. Any ideas?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #45
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
You all have been great with the advice so far, she's doing well at home, still a little bit of adjusting to the new surroundings. I am confident that she'll be fine in a few days though. having a little trouble getting her on the leash, We have a retractable leash that we use for our other odg and she absolutely hates being on it which causes her to just plant her butt down when we attach it to her collar. Which causes issues with potty training because she won't stay outside lol she just likes the inside too much. Any ideas?
Beautiful puppy! Congrats!

Definitely keep looking for advice on training her. Even go to a local professional or club for advice.

I say that because I rescued one and was the third owner. She had developed a number of aggressive and destructive habits and was virtually impossibile to keep. I ended up finding another rescue organization who could keep her solo.

So, make sure you get very good advice and are prepared to devote the time it's going to take to raise her right.

Padre, here's mine, named Timbre (Spanish for Tinkerbell):
Attached Images

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #46
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Oh, and since yours is blue, here's something to aspire to, George, the world's largest Great Dane:
Attached Images

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #47
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
Timbre is so pretty I love the Brindel coat on these pups. I am actually treasuring my puppies little oddities, I think it's cute that she has her own personality and doesn't like the leash, I am really looking forward to training her and watching her grow up.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #48
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
Get a short leash, attach it to her collar and just let her wander around with it to get used to the feel of it. Is your yard fenced? If it is, then you won't need the leash for potty trips. You can still get the housebreaking underway. When I took my dogs to training classes (starting with puppy class that was basically play and socializing time) the vet and instructors said NO to retractable leashes, especially for large powerful breeds. You don't want them getting used to taking the lead in a walk - they need to be near you (next to or behind) so you can remain "the boss". And crate training is ESSENTIAL! Get one big enough to accomodate her when she's full grown - big enough for her to stand up, turn around, and lie down - and put a heavy box in the back of it to leave less space. She won't pee where she has to sleep. As she gets bigger, block off less space. This strategy will keep you from having to buy new crates repeatedly. My dogs are crated when unattended - it keeps them and the house safe (the Shepherd will always be a chewer, I think ) I tell them to go to bed, and they go right in - they are used to it.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #49
BAMA 69
STANG KILLER

Drives: 1969 Camaro SS
Sorry man I lost my camera, and had to take my Iphone to the repair shop.
[ATTACH]Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 536
Size:  109.8 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

"What is a Camaro?",

"a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs".

(wikipedia camaro)
BAMA 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #50
BAMA 69
STANG KILLER

Drives: 1969 Camaro SS
I love blue great danes.

She is a good looking dog!

"What is a Camaro?",

"a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs".

(wikipedia camaro)
BAMA 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #51
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA 69 View Post
I love blue great danes.
Yep, makes me feel like "Cruella de Vil" would make a great suite or even seat covers
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #52
tkjohn25

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Here are some pictures of my dane Roxy. She is 115 pounds but thinks she is 15. Lol. Loves to sit on peoles laps. Great dog and easy to train. One pic with my american bulldog Dozer.

tkjohn25 is offline   Reply With Quote