Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Collinite 845 Winter Protection Wax - NO JOKE!

Look all, I have written about this stuff a bit before. Hat tip to CamaroDreams07.

I was invited by a friend at work to go to the Bruins-Rangers game tonight (Massachusetts) so no way was I going to drive into Boston in snow and park Christine in a garage, so he drove his Honda Hybrid.

Bruins won 3-0, way more fun to be at the game, never went to a Hockey game. Loved it.

Anyways, got back to my work parking lot and it had been icing/snowing in the Bedford area. Started the car for a bit and then used the best ice scraper ever (will have to check which it is) and got home fine. Blizzaks on a Camaro, just don't get stupid and it's totally fine. Not an issue on snowy/icy roads (so far).

Parked in my home garage and went in to have drink or 2 (or more/40 minutes). Stepped out to see the car and the entire car was beaded up with ice/water. I put on a nitrile glove and brushed my hand along the fender....

and the waterfall began!

As soon as a gap opened all the water started pouring off the car, even with ice drops on it. It just flowed right off. I did a few passes making a channel on the car in places and all the ice and water just flowed right off.

Probably be dry in a few hours. I put this on in mid October:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380999

Still have protection!!!!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
it's good stuff, can't think of another product quite like it!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
Stuff is amazing.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Muscle Car Lover

Ok, update!

I finally got to wash the car after the SNOWPOCALYPSE winter. Just a double wash with Meguiers Wash and Wax, nothing crazy.

The Collinite worked great! Still great water beading and I could not find any real issues with the paint after a brutal winter.

Love this stuff.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 04-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
How long has this been around? I used this a few times back in the 90's, only issues are getting the "clumps" inside the bottle to dissolve, and if applied too heavy it's difficult to remove. I didn't have a DA back then so I'm sure a couple drops per panel on a finishing pad would spread it thin. It won't win any awards for "looks" or nice smell, but durability is superior.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
How long has this been around? I used this a few times back in the 90's, only issues are getting the "clumps" inside the bottle to dissolve, and if applied too heavy it's difficult to remove. I didn't have a DA back then so I'm sure a couple drops per panel on a finishing pad would spread it thin. It won't win any awards for "looks" or nice smell, but durability is superior.
My bottle of 845 gets clumps in it to but you can run hot water over the bottle and it will loosen up the clumps and make the 845 easy to shake up the bottle and use it.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Been around longer than I've been alive!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
My bottle of 845 gets clumps in it to but you can run hot water over the bottle and it will loosen up the clumps and make the 845 easy to shake up the bottle and use it.
You can place it on pavement in the sun too!
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
You can place it on pavement in the sun too!
Yep that'll work too. Ive even put the 845 on the stove in a small pan and let the water heat up pretty good, you would be amazed how it thins out with heat. Kinda warped the bottle a little though.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Long history,great stuff.

When I lived in Connecticut I used this all the time. People that I introduced this to could not believe the protection and how long it lasted.

It was originally developed as Marine wax for boats and even for jets. Incredible durability which I do not need it in Arizona and I find the new polymerics good enough for this climate. I have not used the liquid versions of Collinite but the paste wax was unbeatable.

Jim
Old 04-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #11
Jackpot

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax No. 845
This heavy duty liquid wax was originally developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosions. It's primary use is on the finishes of automobiles, trucks, buses and airplanes where durability, high gloss and lasting protection are paramount. An excellent choice for fleet applications and very easy to use--requires minimum rubbing or buffing. Clear coat safe
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #12
Muscle Car Lover

Just wanted to say, I had a real nice coating of road salt and junk over the past 3 weeks. Nice day today (50 degrees!!!) so I did a wash with Meguiars Wash and Wax. The Collinite 845 delivers the winter protection, not one issue, everything came off and paint looks new still. This stuff is a MUST for any driver that uses their car in winter.