Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #309
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
[QUOTE=DougDanger;4434356]I have tried to read about the CTS-V upgrade, can someone clarify, if you have the SS you have 6 piston rear calipers so you only need to upgrade fronts?
Or if you upgrade rear too then you are increasing surface contact and it is better than just SS?

Thanks Doug[/QUOTE rears are 4 pot not 6
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #310
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
They SS and CTS-V are almost the the same. The spokes are close. Razor close sounds a bit too close. You should be fine, BUT a quick call to Forgeline will confirm you have the correct offset. When Dav Schardt (owner Forgeline) and I did my Camaro wheel and tire fitment we had no idea how many sets would be sold. Forgeline knows the Camaro and various brake and wheel combinations inside and out. Give them a call.
Awesome thanks Pete!

I got my wheels through nineball (Tony) and I know that he sells a lot of wheels and therefore knows the offset of these cars very well. I'm confident that my wheels are the correct offset. I'm also confident that Forgeline knows the Camaro offsets very well too.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #311
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
Hey can I get a pm on price for the kit for my V6? I dont need the 4 pistons fr the rear. But every thing else.
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #312
Busy_Boi
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: RJT 2010 camaro 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Busy_Boi
Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #313
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Raymond's Peformance -- You are being paged!

YO! Bruce!!! They are asking for you!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #314
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
The only way to cycle the 2010 Camaro ABS pump on the rack is with a Tech II. That means the only way to change out brake fluid is with a TECH II.

If all you are doing is bleeding a caliper you do not need to cycle the ABS pump and would not need a Tech II.
Sorry to flog a dead horse, but here goes.
I just called my GM dealer service department and they say that you don't have to cycle the ABS pump. Just drain and fill (or use a power flusher). Does the TECH II have a built in brake flush program or something? How can I teach my dealership to do this with their TECH II tool (which I guess they must have)? I've got the shop manuals, so I'll have a look-see tonight.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #315
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Sorry to flog a dead horse, but here goes.
I just called my GM dealer service department and they say that you don't have to cycle the ABS pump. Just drain and fill (or use a power flusher). Does the TECH II have a built in brake flush program or something? How can I teach my dealership to do this with their TECH II tool (which I guess they must have)? I've got the shop manuals, so I'll have a look-see tonight.
Tell them to use the TECH II or USB scan tool set for a 2010 Corvette. It will cycles the pump and lead them through the bleed process.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #316
Avalnch

Thanks, Pete! I'll be sure to mention it. I just hope they're not afraid to use a Corvette function on a Camaro.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #317
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
For what it's worth during the brake work we've done in the past we haven't found a reason to use a Tech2. It may make things easier, but isn't required. Just a good through manual flush like the good ol' days does the trick. Aggressive Corvette track day customers don't generally use a tech2 either and they're constantly flushing their fluid after a few events.

Long story short, in our experience a thorough bleed starting from the farthest point away from the brake master cylinder and working closer wheel to wheel has always worked great for us.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #318
JusticePete

Bad information is worse than no information.

#1 You do NOT need to cycle the ABS pump to bleed the calipers UNLESS air has entered the ABS pump. There is only ONE way to bleed the Camaro ABS pump on a rack and it requires the pump be cycled by a TECH II.

#2 The gold standard for performance brake fluid has been Castrol SRF. It is the only fluid we use in Pedders builds. Using SRF requires the ENTIRE brake system be flushed including the ABS pump. The only way to cycle the ABS pump on a rack for a complete brake system flush is with a TECH II tool.

This is critical information to a 5th Gen owner, especially those that upgrade brake fluid. This is critical information to a 5th Gen owner that wants to maintain the braking hydraulic system to the highest standard. This is critical information for the 5th Gen owner that has a soft pedal and cannot bleed it away. It is in the best interest of the C5 community that they get accurate information.

Pedders USA does NOT sell CTS-V brake upgrades. Pedders USA does not sell brake fluid. Pedders USA does not make any profit sales or service of brake systems or brake parts.

The Ultimate Racing Brake Fluid

"Castrol SRF Brake Fluid's unique silicon ester technology absorbs less water than conventional glycol ether fluids and prevents the fluid's high temperature performance from deteriorating. Its wet boiling point of 270°C is vastly superior to the minimum requirement of 155°C demanded by the current US DOT 4 specification. Its ability to withstand temperatures in excess of 300°C and superior resistance to the effects of absorbed water have established Castrol SRF Brake Fluid as the world's premier fluid for the hydraulic brakes used in all forms of motorsport and racing. "

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-fluid.asp#6
Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #319
hcoll003
Proven Wicked Suspension

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
This is a great write-up, now I just gotta switch the calipers and pads from my dad's 2012 CTS-V, into my Camaro, lol jk, he'd kill me!
hcoll003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #320
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcoll003 View Post
This is a great write-up, now I just gotta switch the calipers and pads from my dad's 2012 CTS-V, into my Camaro, lol jk, he'd kill me!
we won't tell anyone
Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #321
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Bad information is worse than no information.
We couldn't agree more.

In our direct experience with this swap as well as the experience of shops that sell both of our products, doing a proper 2 person fluid flush is effective and will get the job done effectively without using a Tech2.

Take our advise for what it's worth. We stand to gain absolutely nothing by posting our experience in this thread... In years of working with and racing Corvettes as well as Camaros, we've never used a Tech2 for a brake bleed.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #322
Avalnch

Thanks for the input on changing out the fluid. From here, it'll depend on what my dealership tells me in terms of cost. They told me on the phone that a regular power flush would cost $100 (including DOT5 fluid). Wonder how much more it'll be when they have to whip out their Tech2. I cringe at the thought.