Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Question on coil-overs for the pros...

Some state an adjustable drop over 1.5". However, alignments will probably be necessary once dropped lower than this. Are alignment places able to handle such a low drop(heard stories...). And if you constantly make adjustments, will tire/struts wear out sooner, while probably needing an alignment again every time?

..like the flexibilty of the coil-overs, but will it continue to drain my wallet?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Not sure i completely follow.

Any time you install a coilover on to the car you will need to do an alignment, regardless of the amount of drop.

the front won't be to big of an issue, as there should be enough adjustment to get it where it needs to be.
The rear is more complicated, the lower you go in the rear the more negative camber you get, and the less the stock adjusters will adjust.

Any time you make height adjustments you will change the toe and camber, so you should have it re-aligned when you do this.

typically most find a spot they like and leave it there once it's set.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
typically most find a spot they like and leave it there once it's set.
Dumb question but why do coil overs (set it and leave it) if a drop spring gets you the same thing. Is it for a smoother ride??
Old 05-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Rob@WretchedMS

you have the ability to adjust it if needed, height as well as dampening level.

Coilovers typically allow for a much stiffer damper.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Xtreme Innovations & Fab
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Yes, you will have to have it aligned and if all the specs. are met you shouldnt have to worry about a realignment again unless you hit something. About the alignment shop, just make sure you do your homework and find one that has worked on these type of projects before. If you have any other questions please give me a call..
Xtreme Innovations & Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Dumb question but why do coil overs (set it and leave it) if a drop spring gets you the same thing. Is it for a smoother ride??
I also hear a lot of guys wear out their struts with just a lowered spring. Why not just step up and do it once, and gain the adjustability?
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
Rob@WretchedMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Innovations & Fab View Post
Yes, you will have to have it aligned and if all the specs. are met you shouldnt have to worry about a realignment again unless you hit something. About the alignment shop, just make sure you do your homework and find one that has worked on these type of projects before. If you have any other questions please give me a call..
are you suggesting that he can adjust the height with no concern to alignment changes, and should only ever need an alignment if the hit something?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
Xtreme Innovations & Fab
Account Suspended

Quote:
are you suggesting that he can adjust the height with no concern to alignment changes, and should only ever need an alignment if the hit something?
The way I undestood it , is once he went lower than the 1.5" drop there is going to be on going issues with things failing , like tires and struts. So what I was saying is if the car was lower past the 1.5" drop and all of the specs. were in place, he would have no problem. Nobody said anything about changing ride heights multiple times. Yes, if you move the ride height a bunch ,you will have to have it realigned.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
Rob@WretchedMS

this thread is about coilovers, so struts are removed and can't wear. What other things are you thinking would be a high wear item?

Quote:
And if you constantly make adjustments, will tire/struts wear out sooner, while probably needing an alignment again every time?
He actually does specifically ask about changing heights,

Our coilovers do not limit the travel with changes in ride height, maybe this is where we are getting confused.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Xtreme Innovations & Fab
Account Suspended

Quote:
this thread is about coilovers, so struts are removed and can't wear. What other things are you thinking would be a high wear item?

He actually does specifically ask about changing heights,

Our coilovers do not limit the travel with changes in ride height, maybe this is where we are getting confused.
Struts ,coilovers , whatever, point is he said making changes , not ride height changes. When he said (making adjustments) this could multiple changes for all we Know. Im not going to argue with you over something that he didnt specifically say or did say. I was just trying to help, and your going places with this you dont need to go.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Rob@WretchedMS

sorry if i came across wrong, it's just a discussion.
your answer didn't make sense to me and i just wanted to clarify.

to be clear.
Dropping a car 1.5" with struts can be an issue long term, especially if you cut the bump stops.
Dropping a car 1.5" with most coilovers will not have a negative effect on the wear of anything if properly aligned.
I did make an assumption that adjustments referred to height adjustments, since the post was about the amount of drop.

Again, i'm sorry if you took my posts as an argument, they were not, they were only to clarify your posts since they didn't make sense to me when i read them,

have a good night
Old 05-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
I might have confused things by adding my spring vs. coilover question.

I know the main benifit of a coilover is being able to adjust it. But I also know if I have to align it every time it will most likely be set and left.

This is why I'm asking what OTHER benifits are there w/ coilovers. One answer I get here, is wear on my stock strut would be greater with spings only.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #13
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
The benefits to me (as a consumer) is the ability to adjust dampening/rebound. I ride around with a stiffer-than-stock set up 16 clicks/19 clicks on my set up coilovers, but if for some reason, I feel the need to make the ride as cushy as possible, within 2 minutes I can have the coilovers responding differently by twisting 4 screw-like adjusters.

That and the fact that I can adjust my ride height, although every time I do I would need to get it aligned. If I go with a staggered set of wheels, I can drop the back slightly more than the front to keep the horizontal axis of the car even, etc. etc.

This is why I went with coilovers. Springs seem to be one height and you're set. Also, you can't adjust the the camber in the front without getting an adapter. With coilovers (at least my set), you have a small brace that's ready to accept adjustment screws and such if you're going for an advanced suspension setup.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
Rob@WretchedMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Also, you can't adjust the the camber in the front without getting an adapter. With coilovers (at least my set), you have a small brace that's ready to accept adjustment screws and such if you're going for an advanced suspension setup.
The camber is adjustable from the factory both front and rear.