Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Lets Talk GMEPP Warranty... (LONG)

My car is a 2015 with 15k miles on the odometer. We all know about the valve guide issues -- whether one believes GM had it corrected or not. This thread is not about that.

I have a couple of choices ahead of me... one is let the car's warranty expire and have the heads done. Give or take a few grand.

The other (and my preference) is the GMEPP... very reasonable in my book for the coverage they offer as long as one keeps proof of scheduled maintenance. (In my case I over maintain) 5 years and 40k miles of coverage... give or take a few grand.

Coverage can be had for up to 84 months and 100k miles for LESS than heads, cam and headers...

My concern (and I have read line by line the contract) will they cover a major engine (top or bottom end) failure, tranny or diff failure? It is WRITTEN that it's all covered but...

Here are some clauses of concern... (underlined and in red)

Their (GMEPP/ATM) description of a breakdown:
Means the failure of a covered part under normal service. A covered part has failed when it can no longer perform the function for which it was designed solely because of its condition and not because of the action or inaction of any non-covered parts.

Under their EXCLUSIONS:
If Your Vehicle is used for towing (unless Your Vehicle is equipped with factory installed or factory authorized tow package), or is used as a Commercial unit (unless appropriate surcharge is marked on Registration Page and only as defined under "Definitions", "Commercial Use"), or is used for rental, taxi, limousine or shuttle, towing/wrecker service, dumping (dump beds), cherry pickers, lifting or hoisting, police or emergency service, principally off-road use, prearranged or organized racing or competitive driving.

Now my concern is, well, it a track car and used as such. The racing and competitive driving wording does not concern me, but I am not certain about the principally off-road wording.

I will of course leave the car bone stock and replace worn parts with OEM parts. (The contract is also transferable to a new private owner which is nice)

What say you? Anyone out there with experience of a claim for a failure while on track?

Looking forward to your collective thoughts. (Opinions are okay, but any facts are even better!)
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Seems like the concern you have is the heads, which leads me to believe you fall into the category of “non-believer”, yeah?

Thus, what sense would it make to get the GM extended warranty? If you have a failure, it gets covered under warranty, they replace it with.....the same thing you were worried about in the first place.

Seems it makes more sense to let it expire and get some aftermarket heads.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
Seems like the concern you have is the heads, which leads me to believe you fall into the category of “non-believer”, yeah?

Thus, what sense would it make to get the GM extended warranty? If you have a failure, it gets covered under warranty, they replace it with.....the same thing you were worried about in the first place.

Seems it makes more sense to let it expire and get some aftermarket heads.
I would say I am on the fence, but you make a great point. Perhaps with a replacement due to failure of the heads (under warranty) I could have one with the extended guides installed? I have not spoken to any dealer about that...
Old 03-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Taking the head issue off the table for a moment, what is the extent of coverage with this warranty? Is it cost effective for other items that may break in the future? Warranties are just like insurance, you pay a lot and hope you never need it but you're happy to have it when called upon.
Attached Images

Last edited by ariZona28; 03-04-2020 at 02:39 PM.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I've never paid for an extended warranty, never will. They are basically insurance policies... the house always wins or it wouldn't be a profitable business model.

Just my opinion... an N/A LS engine is a piece cake to work on. Spend a weekend popping the heads off and send them to Katech. Or have an LS specialty shop R&R them and send in. Have Katech do their full LS7 treatment to them and a clean up pass on the deck surface. All you will need on installation is headgaskets, head bolts, exhaust gaskets and fluids.

The whole intake comes off super easy, can leave the manifolds and exh right in the car supported. Just unbolt and move to the side.

... or, can get an on head spring compressor and dial indicator and check a few valves out. If you've been using really good high zinc oil and changing it often, might not even have a lot of guide wear yet.

If the guides do show wear, get them done, enjoy car. Just my opinion, I have zero interest in ext warranties. Spend thousands to maybe save thousands. I guess it might wash out.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Great question by the OP. I have the 5 year warranty on my car and once it expires I’m not signing up for anything else. I plan on keeping my car stock but I also don’t want to deal with GM and their bs warranty lawyers. For all I know I could be denied warranty for pulling the exhaust fuse ... I’m not risking that circus. I’ll get my heads done for peace of mind and if the mod itch hits me I won’t have to worry about losing the warranty I paid good money for.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
I work at a GM dealership. If they find out that your car is a track car, they will void your extended warranty, and cover no repairs. If you use your Camaro as a track car, your repairs will be on you.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #8
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Sounds like aftermarket warranty is the way to go (whomever this warranty company is)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9VPyU9H...d=ipaka83hdls3
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrex View Post
I work at a GM dealership. If they find out that your car is a track car, they will void your extended warranty, and cover no repairs. If you use your Camaro as a track car, your repairs will be on you.
But it is different under the original factory warranty? (given Chevy supplied us instructions on how to prep for the track)
Old 03-05-2020, 07:31 AM   #10
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
Sounds like aftermarket warranty is the way to go (whomever this warranty company is)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9VPyU9H...d=ipaka83hdls3
Now there you go!
Old 03-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #11
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
But it is different under the original factory warranty? (given Chevy supplied us instructions on how to prep for the track)
I'd say that is his specific dealership's agenda towards their customers. Not the warranty nor GM

That being said...less is more with dealership from the onset of even buying a car through what we're discussing here.

Dealer: "what happened?"

You: "Engine quit while accelerating"

Dealer: "Where/when/how?"

You: "On the way to the park-n-ride to catch my bus yesterday morning"

How would they know any different? I'm not saying to be deceiving or flat out lie and change car's configuration when it goes in. But if you have a 100% stock drivetrain and it's properly maintained and the motor drops a valve. If the powertrain warranty exists still... should be covered.

Any way they can reduce their liability, push back on customer and increase revenue... they'll do it. Once you sign-off on it, all is well and good. You agreed to it.
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #12
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
I don’t want to pirate the thread but have a question about GM warranty replacement engines. Does a new (Warranty or not) GM replacement engine devalue the Z28 or not? I would guess getting a new engine would be great for just that but does it help or hurt resale value? It wouldn’t be a born with car, engine. But does this really hurt the Z28?
I feel getting new heads or reworked heads might actually help resale value.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #13
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
I don’t want to pirate the thread but have a question about GM warranty replacement engines. Does a new (Warranty or not) GM replacement engine devalue the Z28 or not? I would guess getting a new engine would be great for just that but does it help or hurt resale value? It wouldn’t be a born with car, engine. But does this really hurt the Z28?
I feel getting new heads or reworked heads might actually help resale value.
I would say it depends on the condition of the car and/or the type of buyer. A track car being sold to another track interested individual would probably not frown upon a new engine and may in fact welcome it. A near perfect car being sold to a guy who is particular about hose clamp position or original washer fluid BIG TIME points off.
Attached Images

ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #14
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
I'd say that is his specific dealership's agenda towards their customers. Not the warranty nor GM

That being said...less is more with dealership from the onset of even buying a car through what we're discussing here.

Dealer: "what happened?"

You: "Engine quit while accelerating"

Dealer: "Where/when/how?"

You: "On the way to the park-n-ride to catch my bus yesterday morning"

How would they know any different? I'm not saying to be deceiving or flat out lie and change car's configuration when it goes in. But if you have a 100% stock drivetrain and it's properly maintained and the motor drops a valve. If the powertrain warranty exists still... should be covered.

Any way they can reduce their liability, push back on customer and increase revenue... they'll do it. Once you sign-off on it, all is well and good. You agreed to it.
Totally agree. I suppose one would only need to worry about the "Money Shift" as I'm certain they'll be looking at the computer.

Now that I'm thinking about it -- I wonder what they can glean from the ECM? I know it's the first place Porsche goes whenever something breaks internally.