Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old Today, 07:00 PM   #2045
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Cliff notes - I was sent to Chinese re-education camp and now I am an acolyte
From the author's PoV, sure. What I took from it is western governments, through regulation, took their OEMs from an arena where they dominated into one where they aren't competitive and and will continue to be without even more regulation/protection. I didn't see nearly as many thumbs on the scales ten years ago.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:11 PM   #2046
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
From the author's PoV, sure. What I took from it is western governments, through regulation, took their OEMs from an arena where they dominated into one where they aren't competitive and and will continue to be without even more regulation/protection. I didn't see nearly as many thumbs on the scales ten years ago.
I don't disagree, but what I find amusing is everyone's belief that the Chinese, for the first time ever, are producing something that is not a POS... and it just happens to be cars.

Maybe they actually are good, but what are the odds?
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:25 PM   #2047
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Electricity prices in my area range from $0.127/ kWh off-peak to $0.2495/ kWh at peak and $1.03 during critical load times. What the garbage truck fleet is saying is they can charge off-peak, use approximately 40% of the charge on a typical run, then return to the garage during peak hours and put some of the energy back into the grid. Suppose they only get @0.15/kWh fo the energy they return to the grid. It’s still $0.023 more than they paid. Then when rates shift to off-pea, they can charge the vehicle again at $0.127/kWh. When it all washes out, it’s a net positive.

Got to 3:50 of this video and you can see a better description of how this works plus a real world example where a school bus fleet nets $10k per bus doing this exact thing.

https://youtu.be/gtzMhQtl364?si=iLdOWeWp4DvnW5_M

I'm highly skeptical. First off, we have history which proves they have repeatedly cut the rates they are paying solar customers for their energy feeding back into the grid. Second, its not economically feasible for the electric company to pay out what they charge long term. Sure, the government may subsidize for the short term, then the cheese goes away and the value vanishes.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:02 PM   #2048
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Volt in the wild. I see these about as often as I see ZL1's... which is pretty much never.

Good looking car, IMO. Chevy should still be making them.
Attached Images

Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:54 PM   #2049
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
I don't disagree, but what I find amusing is everyone's belief that the Chinese, for the first time ever, are producing something that is not a POS... and it just happens to be cars.

Maybe they actually are good, but what are the odds?
They are supposed to be good. GM competes with those companies in China with its own EV's built there. And we already get Chinese cars imported to the US under our own brands, like the Buick Envision, and the Lincoln Nautilus. For EV's we get electrics sold under European brands like Volvo, and Polestar, a car that Volvo and Geely of China co-developed.

A lot of electronics and battery tech have come from China for a long time...this is not a weak spot for them any longer.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote