Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 05-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Car won't start help!!

So I'm at a loss. Today I drove my car multiple times. Came home and decided to put it on a small hydraulic lift to adjust my exhaust, it hanging low. So I'm getting ready to pull off the lift to go hang with some friends. I get it, all dash lights come on, including the security light. Now it won't start. I did not touch anything on my car other then my exhaust. It doesn't even attempt to turn over. Don't really know where to look next.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Sounds like something with the PASSkey. The chip in your key. Try another key if you have two sets.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
73camarolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Sounds like something with the PASSkey. The chip in your key. Try another key if you have two sets.
Yep tried it. Nothing. Pulled battery nothing. Checked all fuses nothing. I'm just lost. I didn't think adjusting a exhaust would shut my whole car down lol
Old 05-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Turn the ignition on for a few minutes, light should go out (3-5 minute reset time). If it doesn't, the chip is bad in your key.... if both keys don't work, its probably the sensor in the ignition. You can either get a new ignition ($$$) or a pair of $0.20 resistors from radio shack and hard wire in a "chip" and just bypass the one in the key. I did it, never had a problem since.
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

He's right, you just need to find out what resistor you need. I think there are 13 different ones. There should be a number on your key.

Stupid question...

Is the car stick? Did you knock off the clutch sensor and the car doesn't know the clutch is depressed?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

I guess same could be the case with auto. Bad neutral safety switch... or you accidentally unplugged it.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
73camarolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
Turn the ignition on for a few minutes, light should go out (3-5 minute reset time). If it doesn't, the chip is bad in your key.... if both keys don't work, its probably the sensor in the ignition. You can either get a new ignition ($$$) or a pair of $0.20 resistors from radio shack and hard wire in a "chip" and just bypass the one in the key. I did it, never had a problem since.
Yep this was the problem. Both keys didnt work. Did that this morning and seems fine. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
He's right, you just need to find out what resistor you need. I think there are 13 different ones. There should be a number on your key.

Stupid question...

Is the car stick? Did you knock off the clutch sensor and the car doesn't know the clutch is depressed?
Yes the car is a stick. This was honestly my first thought. I was thinking maybe when it put it on the lift it knocked the sensor loose. But after looking it over everything seemed fine. But the car is back and running. I was just happy it happened inside my garage and not when i was in Ocean city last weekend.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Good deal!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
TopFuelTim

Drives: 2002
How can I do a bypass with Radio Shack resistors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
My daughter has a 2002 Camaro V6 automatic, and it didn't start (no action at all).

How do you do the bypass with the Radio Shack resistors?

I kept fiddling with the car, and held the key in the start position while moving the console gear selector. All of a sudden, out of the blue, it started. Told her to bring it back to my place and I will try to figure it out.

Thanks,
Tim Glover
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote