Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-26-2021, 07:37 PM   #1
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
Race Ramps wheel cribs - life of foam

So I've been looking into getting some of these because I have a phobia about getting under cars and they look really stable.

My only concern is putting up a $300+ investment in items that are made of foam. Motorcycle helmets have a 5 year lifespan, then the durability of the foam is in question. Are these wheel cribs made of the same type of material? Is this even a valid comparison?
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #2
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
It's high density foam. I've had my race ramps for over 10 yrs and they still look and work like brand new! I know they will last you probably a lifetime.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:01 PM   #3
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Had mine for 2 years. I read about GEOFOAM before getting RR because they are using similar materials. So far they have worked well.

IDK if the cribs are made from the same material.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #4
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
I was skeptical at first, but as soon as I used them I was sold. They are VERY light! On stock height I was able to back on them and pull forward on them with no clearance issues and theres plenty of room under there.
Attached Images

custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:31 PM   #5
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
I may have to pick some of these up... very tempted!
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:24 PM   #6
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I keep wanting a set of these but haven’t busted the quick jacks outta the box yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:41 AM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
They are worth the money spent on them! Trust me when I say that. I was skeptical too but after I used them one time changing the oil in my ZL1 I was sold. Sure the initial cost is high but worth it.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:57 AM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
My race ramps are fine after 11 years. Helmet liner is designed to deform once on impact to absorb energy. So apples and oranges.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #9
JitteryJoe

Drives: 21' LTI, '18 Traverse, '15 Mazda 6
Wow, did not realize these were foam... I kept seeing the ads on Facebook and thinking "who the F would pay $300 for a $50 set of plastic ramps?!?". Now it makes a lot more sense.
JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #10
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
They’re pricey for sure. At least the RR can be used on other vehicles.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #11
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
I’ve used ramps (not these) on and off over my 40 years of wrenching, but only on trucks and vehicles with good ground clearance. I wouldn’t on a low slung vehicle because one little slip while driving on and you go over the end and you will have major body damage. Also, say you put the fronts on the ramps, and decide you want to jack up the rear. Most people don’t realize a jack moves in an arc and will pull the car backwards off the ramps suddenly, potentially with injury to you. Google “car ramp fails” or the same on YouTube. There is a fella with a ZL1 that does that exact thing.
I have some very old ramps that cradle the wheel when you drive up on them, so they are much less likely to accidentally roll off. I only use them with my F150 where I can actually drive right off the end and not hurt anything. Only way I’d use them on the Camaro or Vette is if I jacked the car up first and slid them under the wheels.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:14 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
I’ve used ramps (not these) on and off over my 40 years of wrenching, but only on trucks and vehicles with good ground clearance. I wouldn’t on a low slung vehicle because one little slip while driving on and you go over the end and you will have major body damage. Also, say you put the fronts on the ramps, and decide you want to jack up the rear. Most people don’t realize a jack moves in an arc and will pull the car backwards off the ramps suddenly, potentially with injury to you. Google “car ramp fails” or the same on YouTube. There is a fella with a ZL1 that does that exact thing.
I have some very old ramps that cradle the wheel when you drive up on them, so they are much less likely to accidentally roll off. I only use them with my F150 where I can actually drive right off the end and not hurt anything. Only way I’d use them on the Camaro or Vette is if I jacked the car up first and slid them under the wheels.
I'm puzzled by your concern. Race Ramps have a large stop bump that would be pretty hard to drive over. But I suppose it could be done.

In many cars and trucks, you can stick your head out the window and watch the right front wheel climbing the ramp. But that's not possible with the Camaro's bunker slit windows. So here's a tip. Grab the wife's handle mirror and hold it out the window to see the wheel and ramp. Or just buy your own at CVS and stick it in the toolbox, like I did.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote