Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-25-2022, 03:37 PM   #1
finatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
VVT cam delete

Any recommendations out there for a full stage 2 cam kit that includes VVT elimination on my 2010 L99?
finatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:01 PM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Google the question vs this search feature. There is tons of info. Spoiler alert, keep the VVT.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #3
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Eh, I don’t miss the VVT. I’d say it depends on application. One thing you HAVE to do is dump that garbage AFM.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Eh, I don’t miss the VVT. I’d say it depends on application. One thing you HAVE to do is dump that garbage AFM.
I’d love to do a cam and get rid of the AFM lifters. (AFM is tuned out) I’m not capable of the job and don’t know anyone who is in my area. I just worry it would become the beginning of issues. But I guess that’s part of the game you pay to play.

Oh, and I live in The Republik.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:44 AM   #5
Nate2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I’d love to do a cam and get rid of the AFM lifters. (AFM is tuned out) I’m not capable of the job and don’t know anyone who is in my area. I just worry it would become the beginning of issues. But I guess that’s part of the game you pay to play.

Oh, and I live in The Republik.
Usually, it's the other way around from what I heard. A lot of guys specifically will get it tuned out to hold off on getting a cam done. But will jump at the opportunity to get rid of the AFM lifters.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:38 AM   #6
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
Phasetek has about the most complete kit you can get. Here's the link to the base kit;

https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...o-l99tols3.htm

When you talk to them they'll ask you about what cam shaft you want to get (I went with a very mild stage 1 cam shaft). Once they have that, they'll spec out the springs and push rods for you. This is the kit I went with when we collapsed a lifter (thanks to AFM) and scored the cam shaft. Here's a couple of things to keep in mind.

1) Make sure you have all the tools you need before hand. I thought I had what I needed but my 20 year old harmonic balancer puller didn't work on the balancer in the Camaro and the spring compressor I rented from Autozone was totally useless for the LS springs. I wound up buying a relatively inexpensive LS spring compressor from Amazon. Also, don't forget that you need to put the balancer back on and most install kits you can rent from places like Autozone won't actually work because the internal bolt (for lack of a better term) isn't long enough. I wound up using a combination of old bolt with spacers (a big socket) with a standard installer kit.

2) Since this kit deletes the VVT, you get a new wiring harness for the timing cover that just connects your cam shaft sensor. The one in the kit has the incorrect connector for the lower end, the part that connects to the main wiring harness for you car. You can get an adaptor off of Amazon (search the forums for the link) or you can just re-use your existing harness by moving the wire to the bracket supplied in the kit. The old bracket won't fit with the LS3 style timing chain cover.

3) The only thing that this kit doesn't include is a set of lifter cover gaskets. Since my engine was 8 years old with 110K miles on it, my gaskets got trashed when pulling the covers. I spent the extra $20 to get the kit with the gaskets for the bolts. They're easy enough to change out and the $20 is a great insurance policy to help ensure against future leaks.

Lastly, you will need a tune after installing this kit as both the AFM and the VVT are gone. Some folks will say it's OK to drive your car to the tuner. If the tuner is really close to your house (or wherever you're working on your car), say less than a mile, then go ahead and drive it. After installing the Cam shaft we ran the engine for 20 minutes to try and get things seated somewhat and get some lubrication on the cam shaft (yes, we used assembly lube). About a week later we had the car towed to the tuner and ran it for 3 minutes to pull it into the bay where he tuned it. Those roughly 25 minutes fouled the spark plugs enough that we had to replace them before the tuner felt comfortable working on the car.

In the end, we really like what this kit and the BTR stage 1 cam shaft did for the car. We weren't really going for performance, more to get rid of the knock from the lifter collapsing. There's still a bit of a lope to the car and she's definitely rip roaring and ready to go at the traffic lights now.

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
What's wrong with VVT? It's not AFM.

Modern engines, including the V8s used on Gen6 Camaros standard and automatic, all have VVT. What's more, engines with two cams per bank have independent intake and exhaust VVT. This way you can make even more power.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #8
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
What's wrong with VVT? It's not AFM.

Modern engines, including the V8s used on Gen6 Camaros standard and automatic, all have VVT. What's more, engines with two cams per bank have independent intake and exhaust VVT. This way you can make even more power.
Yea ask the ford guys how much they like independent cams. I’m fine with vvt but the single cam belongs inside the block as far as I’m concerned. LS Vvt has its advantages but where Royal tiger is boosted it’s not as effective as it is in an NA setup.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:27 AM   #9
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
VVT also comes on the LT4 Z06. It's the AFM that sux.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:20 AM   #10
b3freak
Long Live Chevy Camaro!

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT2/RS
I'm one of the many victims of Active Fuel Management. Just outside of a CPO warranty. The repair costs were $5,000 replace the special lifters. Petitioned GM and they agreed to pay half. Still $2500 for a repair that should never happen... all for what? 3 miles/ gallon gain over a non-AFM engine? They should give owners the ability to turn it off.
b3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:41 PM   #11
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
Phasetek has about the most complete kit you can get. Here's the link to the base kit;

https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...o-l99tols3.htm

When you talk to them they'll ask you about what cam shaft you want to get (I went with a very mild stage 1 cam shaft). Once they have that, they'll spec out the springs and push rods for you. This is the kit I went with when we collapsed a lifter (thanks to AFM) and scored the cam shaft. Here's a couple of things to keep in mind.

1) Make sure you have all the tools you need before hand. I thought I had what I needed but my 20 year old harmonic balancer puller didn't work on the balancer in the Camaro and the spring compressor I rented from Autozone was totally useless for the LS springs. I wound up buying a relatively inexpensive LS spring compressor from Amazon. Also, don't forget that you need to put the balancer back on and most install kits you can rent from places like Autozone won't actually work because the internal bolt (for lack of a better term) isn't long enough. I wound up using a combination of old bolt with spacers (a big socket) with a standard installer kit.

2) Since this kit deletes the VVT, you get a new wiring harness for the timing cover that just connects your cam shaft sensor. The one in the kit has the incorrect connector for the lower end, the part that connects to the main wiring harness for you car. You can get an adaptor off of Amazon (search the forums for the link) or you can just re-use your existing harness by moving the wire to the bracket supplied in the kit. The old bracket won't fit with the LS3 style timing chain cover.

3) The only thing that this kit doesn't include is a set of lifter cover gaskets. Since my engine was 8 years old with 110K miles on it, my gaskets got trashed when pulling the covers. I spent the extra $20 to get the kit with the gaskets for the bolts. They're easy enough to change out and the $20 is a great insurance policy to help ensure against future leaks.

Lastly, you will need a tune after installing this kit as both the AFM and the VVT are gone. Some folks will say it's OK to drive your car to the tuner. If the tuner is really close to your house (or wherever you're working on your car), say less than a mile, then go ahead and drive it. After installing the Cam shaft we ran the engine for 20 minutes to try and get things seated somewhat and get some lubrication on the cam shaft (yes, we used assembly lube). About a week later we had the car towed to the tuner and ran it for 3 minutes to pull it into the bay where he tuned it. Those roughly 25 minutes fouled the spark plugs enough that we had to replace them before the tuner felt comfortable working on the car.

In the end, we really like what this kit and the BTR stage 1 cam shaft did for the car. We weren't really going for performance, more to get rid of the knock from the lifter collapsing. There's still a bit of a lope to the car and she's definitely rip roaring and ready to go at the traffic lights now.
Quick tip from a dealership tech....If your trying to install your balancer on a LS3 or L99 and don't have access to the special tool. Simply buy a bolt for a ZL1 which is just enough longer and it will pull your balancer onto the crankshaft enough that you can finish it with the correct bolt.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:52 PM   #12
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Hell yea that’s a great piece of info!
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:16 PM   #13
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
VVT also comes on the LT4 Z06. It's the AFM that sux.
huh, I didn't know that.
Many info pages don't mention it, only a few do. They say it's also AFM which isn't good for failure reasons.
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...owerhouse.html

I wanted to add VVT to my LSA but it is too involved , I think I'd have to switch to a VVT block and more things.
As said above it's best for a N/A car that can use that extra low end and midrange, but a moded LSA already overpowers street tires so added midrange isn't so important to the forced induction poeple.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:35 PM   #14
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Here's my dyno results from the GPI SS1 VVT cam. As you can see it makes over 300 ft lbs of torque from basically off idle.
Name:  20210418_150938.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  151.3 KB
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote