Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #15
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
ANOTHER POST ON THIS?

So not new...
Yet you took the time to comment, negatively I might add. I'm just trying to help out others who may want to tackle this. Sorry you found it redundant.

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #16
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Thanks for the info.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #17
uvraise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
Thanks for the info.

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
Old 04-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #18
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Good post, can never get enough info on what works to get this nasty task done right. I'm still confused on how you clock the actuator to the new door when you are done changing it. How did you set it up? Did you disconnect the battery before removing the BCM? The dealer is telling me it should automatically reset the actuator to the door when you hook the battery back up but I'm not convinced that's correct because the look on their faces. Like we really don't know but if it breaks we'll mess with it until we break it look. GOT WALLET?
My 2011 Regal blend door got stuck and kept trying to cycle. Pulled the fuse and replaced, it cycled and started working again. For now anyway.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #19
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Don't think that method will matter. If I understand correctly the actuator cycles every time you open the door. Someone correct me if I've got this wrong.
Doesn’t in my ‘10 ss.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:53 AM   #20
Getinside

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible L99
Great write-up. I had mine replaced at the dealership. That bill wasn't fun.
Getinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #21
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Thanks for sharing this. I hope it really is just a mileage thing because I only drive mine in the summer so I'll never see 50k on my car, ever... plus I'll be retired by then driving a golf cart around :-)

joe...
Old 04-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #22
uvraise

Quote:
Good post, can never get enough info on what works to get this nasty task done right. I'm still confused on how you clock the actuator to the new door when you are done changing it. How did you set it up? Did you disconnect the battery before removing the BCM? The dealer is telling me it should automatically reset the actuator to the door when you hook the battery back up but I'm not convinced that's correct because the look on their faces. Like we really don't know but if it breaks we'll mess with it until we break it look. GOT WALLET?
I thought about this a little more after my initial response to you. It does actually matter how you install the door in relation ship to the temperature dial.
If you install the door in the "up/cooling" position and the temperature dial is in the heat position, the actuator is going to want to cycle the door even further up, This will DEFINITELY break the door again.
The opposite is true as well. If you install the door in the down/ heat position and the temperature dial is set to the A/C position, again the actuator is going to want to cycle the door even further down, again it;ll break for sure. I hope that helps.

The reason for this is that the door, actuator adapter and actuator have four possible positions, but the door only modulates from about 3:30 to about 5, as looking at a clock face. It'd not much travel, but if you hook it up wrong, it'll break.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #23
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Don't think that method will matter. If I understand correctly the actuator cycles every time you open the door. Someone correct me if I've got this wrong.
I read that thread as well, but not hitting the knobs should buy me some considerable time. There’s also the possibility that the door cycle theory could be incorrect as well. Here’s hoping, right.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #24
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
I read that thread as well, but not hitting the knobs should buy me some considerable time. There’s also the possibility that the door cycle theory could be incorrect as well. Here’s hoping, right.
I ran a few tests on the “cycle theory” which you can read from this thread. Starting on post #41, I believe. There are updates at post #45 and #47.
Blend Door
Old 04-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #25
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Never can have too much info on this bothersome issue. As I mentioned in the "Heater blend door hack" thread I have electrically disconnected my actuator in an attempt to extend the life of the fragile, poorly engineered door. I located the "sweet spot" of door closure with A/C on while measuring air temp, unplugged act at this point for summer season. I have connected and disconnected several times during my R&D with no codes or lingering issues. Fairly accessible after you've done it a couple of times. I did notice when connected that the door "park cycle" (as I call it) will sometimes be delayed by 5-10 minutes after shutdown. The purpose of this is still an intriguing mystery. I consider this to be an ongoing experiment, I am open to any suggestions from other Gen 5 owners.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #26
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Never can have too much info on this bothersome issue. As I mentioned in the "Heater blend door hack" thread I have electrically disconnected my actuator in an attempt to extend the life of the fragile, poorly engineered door. I located the "sweet spot" of door closure with A/C on while measuring air temp, unplugged act at this point for summer season. I have connected and disconnected several times during my R&D with no codes or lingering issues. Fairly accessible after you've done it a couple of times. I did notice when connected that the door "park cycle" (as I call it) will sometimes be delayed by 5-10 minutes after shutdown. The purpose of this is still an intriguing mystery. I consider this to be an ongoing experiment, I am open to any suggestions from other Gen 5 owners.
490F. Damn that heater is on fire! Haha

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #27
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Guess I didn't notice the camera didn't pick up the decimal point. Would be an interesting method to cook a pizza. Extra cheese, no anchovies.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #28
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
Hopefully so!
I know I've heard it cycle in my Escalade and Regal when getting in. Can't say I've ever noticed it in either Camaro, but never really listened for it. The other vehicles can't help but notice just get use to it. Will have to listen for it next time, but hope everyone is right that says Camaro's don't do it.