Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
BGPAPA

Drives: 2011 2SS RS IOM
Question about blacked out tail lights

Hey everyone,

My state inspection is coming up and have a question related to blacked out tail lights. Will blacked out tail lights keep my car from passing the state inspection here in Texas. Would like to know if anyone has face this issue and if so what did you or where did you go to get it passed.

Thanks, Look forward to any responses............Rich
Current Mods: Cold Air Intake, ZL 1 Exhausr, Kooks Longtube Headers, Green Cats, IOM Engine Cover, IOM Fuse Cover, Custom Bow ties, Wheel Locks, Custom Strut Brace, Strut Covers, Smoked Tail and reverse Lights.

BGPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Slow SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (CGM)
I actually just put them on my car. I spoke with some inspection guys when I got my wifes car inspected last month and when I asked they said it was ticketable by police and that it will not pass a legit inspection. I don't know the laws myself thats just secondhand from the inspection guys...
Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
BGPAPA

Drives: 2011 2SS RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow SS View Post
I actually just put them on my car. I spoke with some inspection guys when I got my wifes car inspected last month and when I asked they said it was ticketable by police and that it will not pass a legit inspection. I don't know the laws myself thats just secondhand from the inspection guys...
Thanks, been checking the state regs and it looks like it won't pass.. So does anyone know a shop in SA that has passed theirs in the past?
Current Mods: Cold Air Intake, ZL 1 Exhausr, Kooks Longtube Headers, Green Cats, IOM Engine Cover, IOM Fuse Cover, Custom Bow ties, Wheel Locks, Custom Strut Brace, Strut Covers, Smoked Tail and reverse Lights.

BGPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
Wooden Heart

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
I'm an LEO and if the tint is so dark that the red lense is no longer...well "red", then it will not pass. You can tint them as light as possible and if the inspection guy doesn't want to pass then he doesn't have to because it's not "red". Problem is, is that "red" is not defined. As you know, there are many shades of red. I had a 2007 Dodge Nitro that had tinted tail lights that wouldn't pass, but the lenses were still red. It's always better to get the clings so that you can take them off at will.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Slow SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (CGM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Heart View Post
I'm an LEO and if the tint is so dark that the red lense is no longer...well "red", then it will not pass. You can tint them as light as possible and if the inspection guy doesn't want to pass then he doesn't have to because it's not "red". Problem is, is that "red" is not defined. As you know, there are many shades of red. I had a 2007 Dodge Nitro that had tinted tail lights that wouldn't pass, but the lenses were still red. It's always better to get the clings so that you can take them off at will.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for jumping in!! Thats what I figured. I have no issues paying for the tint each year and just replacing it (my opinion). Won't bother me unless I start receiving obscene amounts of tickets...
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Kewl_Blades
Addict

Drives: 2000 Z28 & WS6 - 2x 91 RS
Send a message via AIM to Kewl_Blades Send a message via Yahoo to Kewl_Blades
Here is THE solution....I use it all the time.

Get a set of stock tail lights. When you need an inspection, pull off your tinted tail lights and replace them with the stockers. Pass inspection. Go home and put the tinted tail lights back on. When the LEO pulls you over, you can say you just got them tinted yesterday. If he writes you a ticket, you go to court and take a recent or that-day pic of the car with the stock tail lights on.
I use that-day proof with that day's newspaper in the shot when you take the pic of the "clean" tail lights.
Repeat as necessary.
Kewl_Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
When I went to court to fight mine they sent a bailiff out to look at my car. Since I did not have a receipt showing a shop did the work I had to pay ten bucks and it was dismissed. I then went home and put the tinted ones back on. Just the price I pay and accept that I may get ticketed for that whenever I get pulled over. Same with no front plate. Even tho I have a hide a way plate. I still get a written warning every time. I just accept it as I know I'm breaking the law.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
tavo431

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
Well buddy a little birdy told me that you can always pay a little extra and the inspector "will" pass you.

Ask "small" shops around your area.
tavo431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Depends where you go. I went to a small jiffy lube with a couple young guys my age, we talked cars for a good bit. Non the less they said ANY tint on ANY lights/reflectors are illegal and would not pass me.. sooo I removed them for the duration of the inspection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote