Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #127
427Carl
427CARL

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6speed
Send a message via Yahoo to 427Carl
OR

nice stripes like this..... non Mustang style
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #128
boltmark
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2 SS/RS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
now lets see how many are available to the public....

They are making 500, 50 of these will be used at the indy race. That what they said last night.
boltmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #129
Budlow77

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Pics from Barrett-Jackson

Taken at GM display before the 'vert was auctioned. iPhone not best quality.
They had some cool orange stripe ball caps on the auction block. It was a sweet looking machine no matter what anybody says I'd take one in a heartbeat
Attached Images

Budlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #130
LT4Lover
LT4Lover

Drives: 2011 SG 2SS/RS,'97 30th Z28 SS LT4
Anybody know what color the top is on these pace cars. I assume black (unless they produced special edition white tops for these). Also, wondering if any of the 500 produced will be offered with a manual trans? Any info on pricing for these yet?
LT4Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #131
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatygirl View Post
this white one looks really sweat, I would put candy stripes on it instead of red
its not read its hugger orange

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #132
autoguy

Drives: 10 SS,11 SS Pace, 13 ZL1 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatygirl View Post
this white one looks really sweat, I would put candy stripes on it instead of red

The 2011 Pace Car has Inferno Orange Stripes, not Hugger Orange and not Red.
autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #133
2SS4JAS

Drives: 2011 IBM 2ss
I was there all last week, both pace cars looked amazing side by side, I asked someone there about the color of the top they didn't know, maybe being limited to 500 they will have white tops
Old 01-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #134
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6ADDICT View Post
Supplier of the vert tops shoulda spit out 4,000 ORANGE tops, then GM shoulda put orange houndstooth in it & sent 1 to every dealer. Instant collectible.
Would be a whole lot better lookin than the 2002 collector Trans Am I've got stuffed away. ( If I wanted black wheels on it, I woulda PUT black wheels on it!!) (lol)
You know what your problem is? You're too GD smart!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #135
autoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
The idea all along was to do last years car (orange coupe) and this years car as a set, a kinda his and hers deal.

We all really liked the idea of having the stripes come off of the hood and onto the IP (something never done before on a production car), to make this work, they needed to move in board from the expected historic Camaro location (The Driver side stripe is cropped as it is by the gauges).....plus we were able to fit the mail slot into the entire stripe width, verse having it half in/half out.....like what happens when u extend the rally stripes on a V8. Many iterations were shown to management, it came down to what u see here today, and just having the same stripe start from the upper fascia and end at the deck lid cut line. In the end, leadership felt that our Camaro's design was so strong, that there was no reason to tip toe around Mustang & Charger......plus many people were already making their own versions of the stock Rally stripes in orange and putting them on white coupes.

After the Auction today....only 499 left.......
So what color are the tops on these cars? Hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised and get a white top. If the people at GM were so concerned with Heritage and History, there would be no other color for a top on this Pace Car. If GM does what it Historically does, they will have an excuse as to why a White top could not be used. What it comes down to is using a standard production car that stripes and a couple other things can be added to to make it special. If a white top was not offered on a regular production car, then it will probably not be on this car.

How can the Dash stripes determine the design of the exterior stripes if these are the exact same stripes as used on last years Pace Car, and the Dash stripes were dropped from production?

I have a 2010 Pace Car Festival Car, and I would like to try and get a 2011 to go with it. I am just a little disappointed that GM did not do something more for these special cars like a one off run of wheels, or even the 21" Accessory Wheels to make it truly special and more than just decals and badges. A small company like SLP can even pull off low production runs of specialty Cars and parts and still make a quality product and one that is desired because it is DIFFERENT than all the other production Camaros out there.

Last edited by autoguy; 01-24-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #136
Atom
GM Design

Drives: 1968 RS/SS Camaro
Autoguy
It's pretty cool that you have one of last years Indy coupes, and may consider completing the "Set". If you happened to see my post from last year, you would know how disappointed we were that the IP stripes didn't make it into production. They were being developed for production all along the way, but because of the late call to make replicas in 2010 at all........we just ran out of time at the very last minute. Execution on a detail like this had to be perfect, the following year has allowed us the time to get them right for the convertible, where they will be an even bigger impact with the top down. Maybe if enough Coupe owners show interest, we can make orange with white striped IP inserts available to you guys to retro fit.......
As far as 21" wheels, if u purchase a set of the Synergy Series wheels (the silver w/red stripe)....your car would look exactly like the first sketch I did.......which would be very cool. The red stripe should look OK, since the Inferno Orange stripes have so much color flop.......in some lighting conditions they almost look red....the 21" wheels & tires were not on last years car (which would only hurt the
"look" of a SET) and are expensive, thus to keep the price on the Indy car down, we didn't include them.(see $$$ of Neiman Markus convertible)
We do have other Indy specific details (beside the IP stripes) on this low production vehicle that just haven't been photographed by anyone yet. The Debossed INDY 500 logos in the headrest are very tastefully done, as well as the specific INDY 500 sill plates. Wish I could tell you something more on the convertible top color, but u pretty much have that figured out already. If if makes u feel any better, the white top was discussed many times.
We appreciate everyones passion for Camaro, and enjoy reading the vast array of opinions on sites like this.
Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #137
autoguy

If you didn't hear the story of how I got my car, you can read it here...... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=andretti

I already added the Dash Stripes to mine and I currently have a set of the SLP ZL Redline Wheels that are the same as the GM 21" Synergy Wheels.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #138
autoguy

So what color is the top anyhow?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #139
autoguy

Atom, this is what I am referring to..... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125982

Why would Daytona get a Camaro Pace car that is MORE special than the one for Indy? The Race is being touted as the "Most Important Race in History". It is the 100th Anniversary of the Indy 500 AND of Chevrolet.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #140
Atom
GM Design

Drives: 1968 RS/SS Camaro
Autoguy
Just read thru your story, very cool. Those are the sort of situations that make being car people so much fun. I'm also thrilled to see that you and others have taken matters into their own hands to make the interior look as it was intended. Looking forward to you seeing the 21" Synergy Series wheels from GM in person, and getting your reaction to them as compared to the SLP wheels that "borrowed" our design to a large degree.

As the designer for both the Indy and Daytona Pace Cars, it's a matter of perspective as to which one is MORE special. The Daytona car is a Synergy Series car with a couple event specific decals. Victory Red is one of the four colors it will be available in once it goes on sale for a limited period of time.....there will be no specific number of them, and it is composed of 90% accessory parts, which means anyone can order most of the parts on their own. The Synergy Series cars get their "special" from the parts u can't order, which is the specific red stitching in the interior, silver door/IP inserts panels & the fact all of the content will be on the window sticker (unlike a fake). These cars have a lot MORE stuff on them, big spoiler, Ground effects, 21" wheels etc. To some buyers, the extra stuff is too much, but I figured it was perfect for Daytona, and Nascar.
Now the Indy car is a different story.....the event itself is perceived to be more upscale, more technology driven. We wanted that to affect the look of the car, and went for a more timeless look. Like the original 69, we didn't want to add more to the car then we needed. The 69 had no exterior changes from production, it lived off the color.......this simple approach to Pace cars has been lost on many, but I believe it's a big part of why the 69 is one of the most sought after Pace cars of all time.
I mirrored the areas of change as much as I could with the new 2011. The heritage grille picks up on the look of the RS package of 69 with it's center opening surrounded by body color. Also the stripe IS the statement, with an added twist of it affecting the interior. Outside of the grille & floor mats, every other change is ONLY available on a limited number basis specifically on the Indy. The Headrest, Sill plates, Full length stripes, Striped IP/Door inserts & specific gill decals can only be purchased via the Indy. We had plans for a specific modern interpretation of houndstooth, but things don't always go as planned.
So to answer your question about MORE special, it depends on what sort of stuff is special to you. I think they both Rock considering the parameters of the projects.
Atom is offline   Reply With Quote