Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
louque_ss2_2012

Drives: 2012 camaro ss2 6speed
outdoor car cover

does anyone own and use it on a daily bases? i looking to get one and use is for possibly a couple days at a time? my main concern is wind blowing and flapping and scratching the car? is the car cover worth is and what kind?
louque_ss2_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
belliott
belliott

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I use mine after I wash it and put it in the garage. This keeps it clean for when I'm ready to use it. I would recommend you don't use it daily. This is just my opinion.
belliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by louque_ss2_2012 View Post
does anyone own and use it on a daily bases? i looking to get one and use is for possibly a couple days at a time? my main concern is wind blowing and flapping and scratching the car? is the car cover worth is and what kind?
I have the GM car cover and I only use it when the car is put away for winter storage or I know if there is going to be a long series of days with bad weather. Since I don't have a garage yet for indoor storage, the cover gets plenty of use.

To prevent it from blowing away, in the center section of the cover there are two little eyelits which I use a bungee cord on to keep the cover tight:

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
I use the Weathershield HP . I keep mine outside spring/summer and fall. Works great. Keeps the car dry no matter how much it rains. The only thing is , my spoiler lets the water pool in the rear. So I have to roll uo a towel to make it shed off.

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/60A3835A0A0.aspx
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
louque_ss2_2012

Do u have any problem with flapping in the wind an slapping the car and is it made for the camaro or is it a car cover that fits nor than on car
Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Do u have any problem with flapping in the wind an slapping the car and is it made for the camaro or is it a car cover that fits nor than on car
I would not recommend you use a car cover on a daily basis...unless you are removing the dust particles off of your car's paint on a daily basis as well. Every time you drive, your car accumulates contaminants. When you go to put on your car cover, you will be "grinding" those contaminants into your paint and causing swirl marks. Also, when there is a gust of wind, the car cover will flap around and dirt and other stuff will get trapped in between the cover and your car's paint. At least mine did and I had the NOAH car cover.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
louque_ss2_2012

I won't use it daily as in putting it on and off but I was thinking off using it for after I wash and put the cover on for 3 or 4 days at a time, is that still a bad idea
Old 10-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
I won't use it daily as in putting it on and off but I was thinking off using it for after I wash and put the cover on for 3 or 4 days at a time, is that still a bad idea
as long as both the car and cover are extremely clean, you shouldn't have any problems

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Stealy Phil

Drives: 2010 Camaro Dealer Show car
I highly recommend California Car Cover. Their make great covers, and you can get almost anything else you'd ever need for your car. I have a Stormweave cover from them and I got a set of sweet floor mats.
Stealy Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Tayap79

Drives: 2013 Victorty Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
I have the GM car cover and I only use it when the car is put away for winter storage or I know if there is going to be a long series of days with bad weather. Since I don't have a garage yet for indoor storage, the cover gets plenty of use.

To prevent it from blowing away, in the center section of the cover there are two little eyelits which I use a bungee cord on to keep the cover tight:

How does it handle the snow??
Tayap79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
A couple of suggestions I would try to follow.

IF you are going to cover your car outside...

1) Use an indoor cover and put the out door cover over it. Indoor covers are usually a stretch type which have a softer felt liner. These will not scratch the paint and fit snugly (dirt on the cover or car will however), which will prevent the outside cover (which will move around in the wind) from scratching.

2) Wash your car first, extremely well. Any dust or dirt on the car will be ground into the paint as you put it on. Make sure your cover is clean as well.

In my experience, CoverCraft makes the best car covers.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
And remember that Covercraft covers offers a wide selection of fabrics, to allow you to select the one that will meet your vehicle's protection needs and your budget. The Autopia Car Care Store can order them for you with just a phone call away!
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote