Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Would you keep a car that had the engine taken apart/replaced by the dealer?
Yes 28 70.00%
No 12 30.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
jasonfichter

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Exclamation Blew Something In My Engine

Hey guys,

I have a 2012 2lt automatic with 27,000 miles on it. Most of those miles have been enjoyable, with very few trips to the dealer. Two days ago I was driving the car when suddenly there was a loss of power and a horrible knocking noise in the car. I immediately pulled over, shut off the car and called a tow truck. My friend who was with me, heard the noise and when we fired it up again to get it on the tow truck said, that he thought it might be the crankshaft. As of right now the car has been in the dealer since the incident and I have received no info about what was wrong with it even though I called twice.

Here are my questions:
  • Would GM only replace the crankshaft, or would they replace the entire engine?
  • Are chevy mechanics capable of fixing/replacing and engine and would they be able to restore it to the way it was out of the factory?
  • Would you want to keep a car that had engine worked on/replaced by a dealer?

The feeling I'm having now is that, I will have them fix the car and then sell it before it has more issues. Tell me if you think I have the right or wrong idea please.
jasonfichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I voted yes, but only if I got to talk to the tech and see how competent he/she was.

If that person seemed like a toolbag, then I'd trade it in right there, or at least strongly consider it.

Every tech (that I know of) has had to build or at least assist in building an engine in school, so yours won't be their first. Engines aren't rocket science, or anything even remotely difficult with the proper tools.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
you could have a spun bearing on crank or rods. or a cam failure. I don't think these failures are common, but those are the typical mechanical failures. could also be timing chain.

depending on the damage, they might repair it or replace with a short block. I don't think the dealers typically repair the bottom ends... just the top ends (heads, cams).

If it were me, I'd push for a new engine. If no go, I'd push for the best mechanic to do the work. If done right, should be good as new.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Sounds like rod or main bearing to me too
Old 06-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I voted no, if they put a crate engine in yes, if the dealership tech rebuilds it NO.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
I voted no, due to my own personal experience with a vehicle that had to have major engine work done at a dealership. They ended up causeing problems on top of the orig problem that it went in for.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
jasonfichter

Thanks for your opinions guys. Im going to call tomorrow and find out what is wrong and make sure they replace the whole engine.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
jasonfichter

Heres an update for you guys. Dealer called me today to tell me the car was all back together and barely running. They said the timing if off on the engine, it was misfiring and there was a hissing noise that the car was making that they don't know what it was. What this means is the whole car has to be torn apart again and they have to take out the engine.

They made me even more upset when the service manager told me they won't be able to take it apart again until friday because there is only one tech that is capable of doing such a big job and he is being sent to gm service school so he can learn more about rebuilding engines.

It has so far been 2 weeks that they have had the car and have gotten no where

I think I'm going to get the car back from the service department in the rear of the dealer and drive it right to the front and trade it.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Damn man that sucks! Maybe if they can't figure it out, you'll get a brand new V6.
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
jasonfichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAZ1990 View Post
Damn man that sucks! Maybe if they can't figure it out, you'll get a brand new V6.
I'd rather get a used v8 but, I doubt that I will ever get a new car at most I'll get a new engine installed my monkeys.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #11
jasonfichter

I have another update:

I am completely discussed with GM and its dealers right now. I went on Saturday to go pick up my car and arrived to see it filthy. I went inside to sign the papers and get my keys so I could take my baby home after such a long wait. I went up to the car and upon closer look, the car was covered in grease, even though they said it was "detailed".

I walked around the car and found numerous scratches on the front bumper of the car like they took off the front end and slid it face down on the ground. I also found many scratches and gouges in my paint on the tops of the front fenders.

On the drivers fender it looks like some fluid or chemical was spilt on it causing it to eat through my clear coat. The clear is now chipping away with my fingernail. I also noticed that the front fender on the passenger side just above the side marker was also pushed in about a half inch and the rest of the fender was bowed outwards.

I made the service manager document all of the things that I saw and once that was done i got in my car and pulled out of the service line. Before I had even left the dealers lot the car already was making squeaky noises and sound strange. I thought that it might just be my head messing with me. I drove to the highway, which was right next to the dealer and merged on. I didn't even make it to 3rd gear/1 mile away before the car started decelerating and I heard a horrible grinding noise, then the car told me I had to shut it down immediately.

I got the car towed back and today I went back to the dealer to find out what was going on. I spoke to the manager, who was furious at his employees that my car was back after they just released it. He told me that they weren't sure if the fix would work because when they messed up the crankshaft it may have messed up the valves. He also told me that they would do a "cost analysis" on the car to see if it was worth it to fix the engine again or to replace it. I told him I didn't want an engine that was torn apart once and I defiantly don't want an engine that was torn apart once. He told me that it doesn't matter what I want, it only matters what GM wants to pay for.

I have yet to hear what their "cost analysis" was. I called GM customer care and they told me that I can't get a buyback for my car unless the service manager approves it, which he won't.

I don't want this car and I certainly don't want that engine. GM is no help and I am disgusted with them and their dealers. They have left me with a car that will have no re-sale value because all of this engine work is reported to car fax.

I don't know what to do so I guess thats why I'm telling you guys. Please comment your opinions and what you think I should do.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #12
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
If this situation is not a candidate for a complete engine replacement with GM rep oversight ,I don't know what is. This Irishman would be razin' some serious hell with GM over this one. Probably all began with a failed oil pump. This dealership's techs obviously bit off more than they could chew on an engine rebuild and screwed the pooch on the cosmetic damage as well. They obviously didn't test drive after performed work either and instead maybe took bets on how soon it would come rolling back in.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #13
jasonfichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
If this situation is not a candidate for a complete engine replacement with GM rep oversight ,I don't know what is. This Irishman would be razin' some serious hell with GM over this one. Probably all began with a failed oil pump. This dealership's techs obviously bit off more than they could chew on an engine rebuild.
I agree that they bit off more than they can handle. I think an engine swap is even too much for them to handle. That is why I don't want this car back with all of the engine and body damage. They should view the issue from my point of view. The fact that they had to tear apart the engine three times already and it has almost been three weeks and they haven't fixed it should make them realize they can't handle this project.

I hope someone from GM reads this and realizes they need to pull some strings and get the ball rolling on getting my car replaced.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I wouldn't have taken back the car if it was scratched at all, not until I had signed paperwork showing that they were going to do a full restoration of the paint and body damage. And better yet, I wouldn't let them do it, I'd just have them pay for it.
I'd call GM instead of the actual dealer.
Dealer =/= Manufacturer

Definitely NOT acceptable. See if they will let you take the car somewhere else, or take it to another dealer.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote