Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Exhaust note

Now i know asking about what the camaro is going to sound like is a pretty pointless question at this time, and its been said that the design team is taking the sound into careful consideration.

That being said, i don't think they are going to make it as aggressive sounding as i would like, so obviously aftermarket is the path for me. But having lived with the aftermarket exhaust on my current car for over 2 years now, there are moments where i wish i didn't have it. Late at night, road trip, GF asleep in the passenger seat, long drives, ect

Basically im asking anyone here with some experience with custom exhausts on a v8 (my car is a v6), how bad is the drone/interior noise on, lets say a flowmaster super 40, or magnaflow, and if you find they can be a tad noisy SOMETIMES? . Also has anyone ever tried cutouts, how do they sound?, are they liveable on the street?, are they legal? (after the cats) and would a set of electric cutouts be a good pairing with the stock exhaust to have that agressive note i want and have the option to keep er quite
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Go with Flowmaster Hushpowers, or anything with Delta Flow Technology. Keeps the interior sound levels lower, but doesn't reduce the exterior sound much. Probably 5-10% less noise outside and 30% less noise inside.

Also, remember that the interior sound levels are also dependant upon the car. Example: My 1999 Mustang GT was louder inside than my 2004 Mustang GT, but outside the '04 is MUCH louder. Better materials help a lot. Thicker carpets, and the weatherstripping around the doors helps a lot, actually.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
i had a 99 v6 camaro and i had flowmaster on it. it sounded terrible. v6 muscle cars dont sound good with an exhaust. i had flowmaster on my trans am and it sounded amazing, but i also had long tube headers on it also. it was the best sound in the world. a nice deep rumble.

as far as a passanger, they will have to deal with the sound of the exhaust rumbleing under them. if its a chick the exhaust will rumble in the right places(if you know what i meen).
my buddy had dump downs on his TA and it was loud but obnoxious. i think im going to go with borla on the camaro. borla always has a nice rumbe and not alot of interior noise. but i really dont care about that , i just want it loud.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I have LTs on my '02 with an adjustable Borla and with the cutout closed, I get NO resonance in the car and it is quite subdued. With the cutout open, I get a little rasp and some resonance in the car.

I'll be looking at replacing the mufflers on my 5th Gen. after I get it

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Hmmm adjustable Borlas, that sounds interesting.
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

To be clear, the Borla catback I have has a interchangable plate system, that is built-in, that I installed an electric cutout into, so instead of using plates, that have varying sized holes to adjust flow and sound, my cutout not controls that.

I'm thinking for my 5th Gen. that I would like to add a set of mufflers and cutouts.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
I wonder if the return of the Camaro will get SLP back on GM's side of the fence. They've been in bed with the Mustang for a couple years now. It was probably the only choice for them, seeing as how the Stang is really the only popular performance car that's affordable right now.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I have an aftermarket system on my '99 SS, (not any of the brands you mention), which began with the 'SLP Loudmouth'. It sounded good, but there was some interior drone. I added the SLP L/T's, Y-Pipe, and new Cats., which eliminated the interior drone.

I'm happy with the system as well as the sound. It has been known to set off a few car alarms. I've never questioned if installing the system was a bad idea, I'm happy with it.

That being said, when I order the new Camaro, I'll be retaining the "stock" system. I'm sure I'll like what I hear as I've heard rumors that GM is working on developing a nice exhaust note.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
The80sman
NIUK NIUK!!..WOOWOOWOO!!!

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Remember though.....The new Camaro engine might have Active Fuel Management, That being said.....If GM is fine tuning the exhaust note, the factory muffler might be the best sounding muffler for the car. I imagine if you put an Aftermarket exhaust on an engine with AFM it might not sound as good as it does on a regular v8 but also a tune to stop the AFM might help with an aftermarket exhaust note.
The80sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

I'll be going WOT too much for the AFM anyways, LOL.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
i had a 99 v6 camaro and i had flowmaster on it. it sounded terrible. v6 muscle cars dont sound good with an exhaust. i had flowmaster on my trans am and it sounded amazing, but i also had long tube headers on it also. it was the best sound in the world. a nice deep rumble.
My mustang V6 sounds good IMO
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote