Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Unhappy Well, yesterday sucked...

You ever have one of those days where you wish you could rewind and just stay in bed? Well that was yesterday for me. The wife and I were supposed to go to lunch at a local brewery with my Camaro club. Well, that never happened.

I started the Camaro to pull it out of the garage (daily driver) and I knew something was off as soon as she cranked over. By the time I pulled her out of the garage she would barely run and was shaking around like crazy. Then I got the "Service Stabilitrak" on the DIC and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. I shut it off and ran a code check. Cylinder 4 Misfire. I decided to check the simple stuff first. Started with the oil. Oil was way low. So now I'm thinking I have an oil leak (just changed it a month ago). Pulled it back in the garage, jacked it up, looked around underneath, and found no signs of a leak anywhere. So now I'm thinking I've got a blown head gasket or something, although I haven't noticed blue exhaust or anything.

So I pull the oil plug and let it drain what's left, while I take the wife's car to go get oil. Of course the Mobil1 isn't on sale right now, and I wanted to get some extra in case it is burning oil, so I end up spending $80 for 2 5qt jugs. I get home, pull the pan out from under the car, and discover there's 5.5+ qts of oil in the pan. GAH! Stupid me. I didn't give the cold oil enough time to run back to the pan before I checked the level! So I put a new gasket on the drain plug, put it back in, and pour the new oil in. I clear the fault codes and start her back up and everything is fine. Took her for a short drive and put her through the paces and she ran perfectly. No idea what caused the misfire. So that was a bunch of money wasted on oil. Oh well. Live and learn.

But that's not the worst part of my day. Nope. Not at all.

As luck would have it, I installed a new garage door opener a couple weeks ago.... and I never trimmed off the extra-long bracket that hooks to the garage door. Guess what. When my hood's up in the garage, the bracket was low enough to contact it. This happened not once, but TWICE. Once when I put the door down to go get oil (I didn't notice it hit because I was outside) and once when I put the door back up when I got home (this time I noticed, but it was already too late). Two gouges right down to the primer. The one on the leading edge of the hood is especially deep. I cleaned the area and threw on some touch up paint to get me through till spring until I get a chance to give her a good detail and polish. I'll decide what to do about it then.

I sawed that damn bracket off and went back inside. I guess I was lucky that the bracket wasn't angled the other way, or it probably would have caught on the hood and bent the hell out of it, instead of just scraping over it.

Any idea what it might cost to have a body shop repair the scratches?
Any idea what might have caused the misfire?

Here are some pics. *Sigh*
Attached Images

Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
I had the same issue with the CEL, it was a loose plug wire.

Sorry about your hood.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
damn, that is unfortunate.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Man, that does suck. It's hard to tell from the photos, but on that last pic it looks like it might be something that a good polish will fix up. Hope today is a better day for you!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
mdolandese

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red Vert
Sorry this happened to you I hate when shit like that happens good luck you'll get her looking brand new again
mdolandese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
snymat68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Man, that does suck. It's hard to tell from the photos, but on that last pic it looks like it might be something that a good polish will fix up. Hope today is a better day for you!
The last pic is with the touch-up paint. When the warm weather rolls around and I do the Spring detail and polish, I'm going to see if I can get it good enough on my own, or if it's too bad I might take it to be professionally repaired.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
Old 02-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Sorry to hear about the mishap, OP. That really sucks. At least you can use the money you saved by not paying a professional to install the opener... to fix your hood.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Check out this video for a DYI on how to get rid of that scratch. Use 2000 grit, go lower if you need to.

from thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395124
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Almost looks as if the clear coat was only affected...
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
snymat68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Almost looks as if the clear coat was only affected...
Sadly, no. It was definitely down to grey primer. :(
Aesthetic Mods
Old 02-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
camaro1350

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS 1LT, 6M
If it's down to the primer then just sanding won't do it. You could try Dr Colorchip and see what that could do for you. It might not be perfect but it will look much better than it's now. I would guess it will cost a minimum of $600 to have a body shop repaint the hood. I know how you feel when I didn't pull in far enough in my garage. The garage door hit my rear bumper luckily it just scarped it but left a deep scuff. I was able to buff most of it out but not all of it. Then I got my exterior modded and it was repainted anyway so it was a;ll good. But at the time I was fuming mad.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #12
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
might be able to go through your home owners insurance vs. auto insurance. depending on the deductibles? or make a claim to both and make up the difference that way? just a thought....
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #13
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
ah, I thought it was just a CC scratch, which is why I posted the above video.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #14
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Oh man that sucks. You're not the first one to have done that.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote