Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
69er

Drives: 69 Z/28 , 83 Z/28 (L69), 10 2SS CGM
How does Cell Service Work with OnStar and Bluetooth?

I've never owned a car with OnStar or Bluetooth. In regards to cell phone operation, how does it work with these systems? Does the OnStar cell system have its own cell number or does my cell phone integrate with it? (Like Bluetooth?)

Does Bluetooth work like I think it does, by patching in to my phone for hands-off communication through the stereo?

Since I've had neither, I might not be even asking the questions right!

Help!
69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
your spot on on both of those. the onstar is prepaid wireless and it has its own number and is completely seperate from your own phone and the bluetooth turns your car into a giant bluetooth handsfree device using the stereo and a microphone that is usually in the ceiling over the driver
Old 10-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I have a bluetooth earpiece for my phone, and I LOVE it. I cannot wait to utilize the Camaro's stereo for for it.

My stepbrother's Acura TL has it, and it is a great feature. One of those features you would not think you would need, but after having it could never live without.

I just love how the caller id comes up on the DIC, how it automatically mutes the radio and pauses the CD to bring the conversation through, and how there is absolutely nothing you need to do to operate it once you've paired your phone to the system.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
your spot on on both of those. the onstar is prepaid wireless and it has its own number and is completely seperate from your own phone and the bluetooth turns your car into a giant bluetooth handsfree device using the stereo and a microphone that is usually in the ceiling over the driver
100% correct. I have a Alpine head unit and my phone pairs to it with bluetooth. It extracts my entire phone book from the phone so I can scroll thru it easy while driving. It all shows up on the double DIN. I send or receive calls using the buttons on the screen while the phone stays in my pocket, no fumbling to handle the phone while driving. Mine will present a keypad onscreen to dial calls. It's a great feature, particularly since cell use while driving is becoming illegal in more states. You can take the call thru the stereo speakers or take the call on the phone for privacy. It will prompt what you want to do.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
SOMANYDECISIONS

Drives: 08 Duramax Jacked Up, 10 Maro Black
Just info for you as well. The Onstar phone will only work if you keep the Onstar package that is about $20.00 a month. But something else that I found out with my 2008 GMC, the phone can be partnered with any verizon wireless account. It essentially is turned into an add on account phone to your normal billing. So it will share your minutes with your current cell phone thru verizon. Pretty cool really! I have used the hell outta my Onstar phone in the pickup; great reception! Like Fastball said though, the Acura setup is sweet! It shows how many bars you have for service in the head unit. Hopefully that will be the case with the bluetooth option too! I am so freakin excited for this car...they have everything perfect on it!
SOMANYDECISIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
yes i love the onstar calling, it's great perfect clarity and much easier than using a cell phone.