Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
StevenBateman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Flashing Gear Mode and CEL

So I was sitting in the drive thru today waiting for my order when the car suddenly had a harder than normal shake at idle (it shakes pretty good at idle with the cam and stall, so I know what normal shake is), then the CEL comes on and the indicator that shows which gear you're in starts flashing. So I drive it down the street and it seems to almost be in a limp mode but not quite. So I park, shut it off and turn it back on, the flashing continues and the CEL is still there. So I repeat the process, the gear indicator stops flashing, but the CEL is still on. So I took it for a quick drive up the highway and it seems to be running normal, but the CEL still stayed on til I got home. Has anyone had this happen to them or know what happened?
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
See what the cel tells you
Old 05-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
See what the cel tells you
Nothing came up, just the CEL came on, but there was no code.
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

Old 05-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
My guess is if you scan it you’ll have a code P0700 and P0716. I would also assume that shake you felt was the car shifting into third. The car does that to protect the transmission. I’ve seen a lot of people name off different reasons for these codes such as the transmission being too hot, the converter having issues or even wrong sized tires, but I’m not really certain what actually causes it. Good luck
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
My guess is if you scan it you’ll have a code P0700 and P0716. I would also assume that shake you felt was the car shifting into third. The car does that to protect the transmission. I’ve seen a lot of people name off different reasons for these codes such as the transmission being too hot, the converter having issues or even wrong sized tires, but I’m not really certain what actually causes it. Good luck
How come it would be the car shifting into third? I was at a dead stop. It has been hot here the past couple days, but I have my transmission cooler which keeps it around 180 at peak and I've been running this set up for about a year now and haven't had a single issue. I would like to note I took the car out twice today and on the second run, leaving the walmart parking lot, the CEL didn't come on.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
SynergyGreenSS

It will only do this once you’ve stopped. It shifts into third and stays there so it won’t have to shift any more in order to protect itself. It seems it happens to my car only when I’m using the paddles as well. My car drives fine and I haven’t had any issues with the transmission. I’m not sure what the solution is
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
Old 05-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
It will only do this once you’ve stopped. It shifts into third and stays there so it won’t have to shift any more in order to protect itself. It seems it happens to my car only when I’m using the paddles as well. My car drives fine and I haven’t had any issues with the transmission. I’m not sure what the solution is
Hmm, odd. This is the first time this has ever happened, but after that "limp mode" kicked in and I shut the car off it seems to be running like nothing happened.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
SynergyGreenSS

Yeah it usually goes away after you shut the car off, but I always clear the code anyway