Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Spied: 2014 Chevrolet SS Sedan

Spied: 2014 Chevrolet SS Caught On A Super Short Test Run
Automobile

Our spy photographer didn’t have to wait that long after Chevrolet’s 2014 SS announcement to catch an early prototype out for some testing in Michigan. Ironically, engineers didn’t wait long after being photographed to turn around and hide the 2014 SS prototype shown here within the walls of the General Motors Proving Grounds.

A valiant effort on their part, but we still managed to gain a decent look at a performance-tuned variant of Holden’s upcoming VF Commodore – and, perhaps, one with Chevrolet sheet metal affixed to its exterior. Since the 2014 SS isn’t supposed to launch until late next year, it’s not surprising to see General Motors engineers have triple-wrapped this prototype in thick, dark camouflage, which only adds to the already mystery surrounding the 2014 SS.

As other VF Commodore spy shots have shown, this new car’s roofline and contour isn’t wildly different than the current VE Commodore, which was sold in our market as the Pontiac G8. A thick bra over the car’s nose and tail obscures most sheet metal revisions, as do temporary head- and taillamp units, which are designed to stand in until finished composite lamp assemblies can be readied for testing.

A number of cues, including the vertical fender vents, LED running lamps, and what appears to be a bulging, ventilated hood, echo those used on VE Commodore models modified by Holden’s HSV performance division. Is this just a Holden prototype performing a tour of duty in America? Perhaps, but the grille – which appears to boast several horizontal bar inserts – is more in keeping with Chevrolet standards than present HSV design DNA. Squint hard enough, and the grille opening almost resembles that of the Chevrolet SS NASCAR prototype, which General Motors officials claim “closely resembles” (but not mirrors) the production vehicle.

Determining exactly how much of this sheetmetal will actually be ported to the finished 2014 SS remains to be seen. Given that our only hints have been this test mule and a heavily camouflaged NASCAR prototype, and that early prototypes often share parts and components with several different parts bins, it’s hard to definitely say at this point in time. It does, however, suggest that development of Chevrolet’s VF Commodore may be paired with the hottest offerings Holden has under development – and that’s certainly good news for North American performance junkies.

At this point, exactly what lurks beneath that hood remains a mystery. Our photographer notes the beefy dual exhaust tips emitted quite a healthy V-8 growl, which is in keeping with Chevrolet’s promise that the 2014 SS would offer V-8 performance. There’s a good chance the new sedan could use General Motors’ all-new, fifth-generation small-block V-8, but some point to the Cadillac CTS-V that accompanied this SS prototype on its brief excursion as indication the two could share GM’s supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V-8. We’d wager the CTS-V was merely serving as a benchmark of sorts, and that the latest chapter of Chevrolet performance will use the latest chapter in the Chevrolet small-block V-8 saga.

Expect more details to emerge over the next 15 months: though General Motors calls the Chevrolet SS a 2014 model, it’s expected to be on-sale at Chevy dealers across North America by late 2013.

Spy photos at the link.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
DaBears

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester, 2010 Equinox
Im not so sure im going to like the body lines on this thing. we'll see.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I need to see this thing so I can decide if I want to own one.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
The suspense is going to kill Me!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
fastlane2010

Drives: 2010 camaro with fast lane stage 2
wonder if its a caprice just for normal people

fastlane2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Still waiting on better 2014 C7 photos...lol
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Isnt this car supposed to be in Nascar next year? but its getting released in late 13? how does that make sense.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
PMD GTO

Drives: G8 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane2010 View Post
wonder if its a caprice just for normal people
It's on a shorter wheelbase than the Caprice. Think G8 with new sheet metal, front and rear. Doors, windows, roof all look the same as my G8 and I'm sure the interior shares a bit of the same pieces as well.

Roto-Fab Intake, Solo Axle-Backs, Sharkfin Antenna, BMR Trailing Arms, Camaro 20's

PMD GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
Isnt this car supposed to be in Nascar next year? but its getting released in late 13? how does that make sense.
Well ... when you consider that its a racing league that sees nothing wrong with calling a 900 hp RWD V8 Camry with a tube frame chassis (with no doors & only 1 seat) a 'stock car' -all of a sudden, allowing Chevrolet to race a car that doesn't technically exist doesn't seem all that crazy
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Well ... when you consider that its a racing league that sees nothing wrong with calling a 900 hp RWD V8 Camry with a tube frame chassis (with no doors & only 1 seat) a 'stock car' -all of a sudden, allowing Chevrolet to race a car that doesn't technically exist doesn't seem all that crazy
LMAO
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
I can't wait to see this car. I already want one.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)

It's got 4 piston brakes up front judging by the fourth picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD GTO View Post
It's on a shorter wheelbase than the Caprice. Think G8 with new sheet metal, front and rear. Doors, windows, roof all look the same as my G8 and I'm sure the interior shares a bit of the same pieces as well.
I'm seeing some resemblance between this:

and this render:

Obviously if you dial back the racing effects, wheels and such, this and the green render might be pretty close to the final product...

Last edited by SS 376; 05-31-2012 at 12:07 PM.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post

It's got 4 piston brakes up front judging by the fourth picture.

I'm seeing some resemblance between this:

and this render:

Obviously if you dial back the racing effects, wheels and such, this and the green render might be pretty close to the final product...

Ahhh...you beat me to it...I see it too. If this is the case...it's going to look awesome. I want this so I can get rid of my Charger R/T.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post

I'm willing to bet that the green Render is 85-90% correct for production. Everyone seems to be claiming that its 'just a photochop' but it has ALL the appropriate design cues, proportions, and product-family references for it to be correct:

4 element taillights - echo Camaro & Malibu
Hood Strakes - reflect Sonic & Cruze hood styling
Proportions & Stance - reflect VF chassis perfectly.

If the production car is much different than this picture, I will be VERY surprised... and impressed by whomever has Photoshop skills this good.

Also, the brakes on the G8 GXP were 4-piston Brembo's... I bet these are the same:

The Brembo braking system matches the GXP's boost in performance with an equivalent increase in stopping power. The system includes 14-inch (355 mm) vented front and 12.76-inch (324 mm) rear disc rotors, with special quad-piston alloy calipers in front. The alloy calipers on the rear brakes have single-piston actuation. The four-wheel disc brake system includes standard anti-lock brakes and traction control.

~LSx