Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #29
wal-dog

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 1SS
I just put mine on last night and I"m a little worried now. My filter is only 8.5" off the ground not 12" to 14". Is the filter supposed to be pushed as far as it will go onto the tube or just enough to tighten the clamp? I made a thread but haven't got a response. If I slide the filter all the way up the tube it will bring it higher off the ground. The instructions don't say how far to slide the filter on the tube.

wal-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #30
wal-dog

Can anybody tell me which Hydroshield to order. X-1035?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #31
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
That's interesting.

I've had my Injen on for over a year now, and I never put on my Hydroshield. This last winter, California saw enough rain to officially declare the end of the drought. I've driven through some pretty deep puddles, and I've driven in driving-ran for three-hours straight without any problems. I've also driven through undercarriage car washes without any problems.

That really does suck that your intake injested water, though. It seems to me like the wheel-well cutout would be the culprit in that case. If the wheel was helping dump water over the filter, then it could have reached a point where the water fully obstructed the intake tube, created a vacuum and pulled that water directly into the engine.

I like my Injen, but this does make me reconsider my intake choice.........or makes me wanna take a sawzall to the intake tube and cut a few inches off of it.

Injen modification thread incoming?

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #32
wal-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal-dog View Post
Can anybody tell me which Hydroshield to order. X-1035?
I found it. X1037 Hydroshield fits filter #1021. Just ordered one from Amazon. $26.87.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #33
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Yep I'll be moving mine now...I have my wheel well in place and still when it rains I can see water splashes on the tube and water resting on the inside of the front facia. I can even see water splashes up on the inside of the wheel well.
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #34
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
I believe the op. Just because it didn't happen to us does not mean it can't happen. I don't have the injen but my AEM is a long neck just like the injen. We got poured with rain all last week and my filter was getting wet. I didn't experience anything like what op experienced even after driving through 5" of water but every time it rain hard I do take some precaution now. I was thinking about the AEM by pass too but im good with my AEM pre filter for now.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #35
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
I believe the op. Just because it didn't happen to us does not mean it can't happen. I don't have the injen but my AEM is a long neck just like the injen. We got poured with rain all last week and my filter was getting wet. I didn't experience anything like what op experienced even after driving through 5" of water but every time it rain hard I do take some precaution now. I was thinking about the AEM by pass too but im good with my AEM pre filter for now.
Well after seeing the picture he posted, you gotta believe it. I mean, the tire was obviously throwing gobs of water directly on the intake with the wheel well liner removed.

I'm not saying no hydrolock would ever happen in any circumstance, but I have to go with the thought that if that liner was in place, this would not have happened.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #36
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
I don't know how I missed that pic op posted. You have to be kidding me right? why in the hell would you remove part of the wheel liner and what was the purpose of that? No wonder why you got drenched.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #37
crz2fer

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
yeah this is most likely my fault, i just figured since the wheel are rolling forward (and not backwards) the rotation wouldnt feed water into. When installing i just didnt see how having the filter confined in an area with little to no airflow (between the front bumper and the wheel well liner) would be any change from the stock air box. Thats why I took it upon myself to modify it in the way that I did. Does anyone know if chopping the intake tube in half and adding a BPV before the MAF will/will not work on this application? I appreciate all the responses, I know i'm in "newb" territory cuz of my # of posts
crz2fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #38
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Not saying it didn't happen or can't happen, but the OP obviously did not install the intake correctly. First he says that putting the wheel well back on caused the tire to rub on the wheel well because the intake pushed the wheel well into the tire.

Wouldn't this mean the tire is maybe a quarter of an inch from the tire? It's no wonder that the water got intake into it, all of the water from the tire went directly onto the intake.

The only way for water to get suck in, if the wheel well is on, is if the puddle is 8 inches tall or so (wherever the bottom of the intake is at). Otherwise, there's not going to be water sucked in.

If the intake would have been installed correctly, it would have been fine. End of story.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #39
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Not to slam the Ingen design but a RotoFab or CAI Inc or K&N no matter how bad you screw up th install isn't going to net you this.

When i mod I don't want to have to think about stuff. I want it to last and be as trouble free as the OEM part would have been. Hydrolock does not enter my consiousness when I have to go through a puddle.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #40
wal-dog

I'm not worried about it anymore. Clearly removing the wheel well caused the filter to get soaked. I'm gonna put the Hydroshield on and not worry about it cause the Injen is awesome. Love it.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #41
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
I don't know how I missed that pic op posted. You have to be kidding me right? why in the hell would you remove part of the wheel liner and what was the purpose of that? No wonder why you got drenched.
LMFAO.......I was waiting for this exact post from you.....When I saw the one before I was like "He didn't see the picture yet...wait for it...."

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #42
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
waited to post also......cutting the wheel well liner not the smoothest move. glad I am not the one learning a lesson from that one....truly one of those**DUH** moments

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, cold, hydrolock, injen, intake