Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
pdiddy

Drives: 2011 2SS
Clutches for 600-750hp

I want to hear opinions and options available for the wheel hp mentioned above including price and durability and drivability this will be in a street car that will only be tracked a few times a year.. I don't want to spend a grand to find out that I am pushing the clutch to the limit I am curious to hear from both vendors and members on this. Also is the clutch affordable to rebuild when that time comes
Old 11-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
TX/ZL1

Drives: '14 ZL1 RRM M6
Old 11-06-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
TinyToasta

Drives: way too fast....
Went from stock to a ZR1 clutch - a useless upgrade...
Now with the Street Slayer Twin Carbon things couldn't be any better! Street, Strip, Race Track and the German Autobahn with 185+mph - this thing holds well
CTS-V Brake upgrade, Street: 22'' Vossen CV1, Strip: 18'' Forgestar F14 on MT Street Radials

Last edited by TinyToasta; 11-06-2014 at 10:28 AM.
TinyToasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyToasta View Post
Went from stock to a ZR1 clutch - a useless upgrade...
Now with the Street Slayer Twin Carbon things couldn't be any better! Street, Strip, Race Track and the German Autobahn with 185+mph - this things holds well
Thanks! We see alot of guys switching from an adapted stock clutch to the Street Slayer, we have so many customers saying they wished they would have done it right and just bought the Street Slayer from the start to save the headache and the money we started saying do it right the first time with Street Slayer lol.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
If we can help you get a great clutch that is designed to work with the stock hydraulic system, no need for a upgraded master or monkeying with the slave, just our heavy duty bearing and your set.We have plenty of guys on this forum that can attest to the Street Slayers unmatched advantages.Look foward to helping you out.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
Thanks! We see alot of guys switching from an adapted stock clutch to the Street Slayer, we have so many customers saying they wished they would have done it right and just bought the Street Slayer from the start to save the headache and the money we started saying do it right the first time with Street Slayer lol.
Everyone knows that the ZR1 clutch was a turd, that's not rocket science nor is it a mystery.
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post
I want to hear opinions and options available for the wheel hp mentioned above including price and durability and drivability this will be in a street car that will only be tracked a few times a year.. I don't want to spend a grand to find out that I am pushing the clutch to the limit I am curious to hear from both vendors and members on this. Also is the clutch affordable to rebuild when that time comes
Saving money and building solid units is what we're all about. No bs or marketing tactics.

We have two units that would suite your need, both of which will drive great and take a substantial amount of abuse. We warranty our units for a year against defects, no matter how you drive it. And if you're not happy with it we'll pay to install another brand - why? Because we're that confident and are tired of seeing over-priced things being shoved down peoples throat.

Research the LT1-S and SC on this forum and any other. We've got a TON of guys running these and they are absolutely in love with the performance and the pricing. The setup is based on an improved upon version of what came in the ZL1, far superior to others on the market in terms of drivability, longevity, and value. We even offer a triple unit that's rated over 1,500 rwhp/rwtq.

As far as rebuild, it's typically around the $500 range and the warranty starts over again.

Give us a shout and we'll get you taken care of. My advice to you is to research on this forum and others to make sure you do it right the first time. Our customer service is second to none, we hold numerous records, and we're often times at the track supporting those who run our stuff and testing the lastest/greatest.
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
Apparently I didn't know that. So far it works good for me and I'm at 650rwhp. I'm sure my day will come when I regret getting it.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
OP,

I have to toss my opinion in for the Street Slayer, whether it be a twin, triple or something else.

Here is why....

I tried a "built 1400 ft/lbs rated clutch" twin disc from another company, and it was literally an on off switch.

Prior to installing it, I was under the impression I had to sacrifice driving quality for the performance. Ok, so it was just over a grand, though that did not include installation.

Driving the car with it was so bad that I contacted the company to determine if this was a one off, and if there was anything they could do... It chattered, it grabbed... it was a piece of crap as far as I was concerned.

They told me to pull the clutch and send it back and they would look into it... They did not cover the cost of shipping or R&R. They had the clutch for a few weeks and sent it back, it looked almost exactly the same as it had when I sent it in... They didn't clean up the contact surfaces or anything else. There was discoloration everywhere. I do have pics though I don't have access to them right now. So, we reinstalled it after being without the car for about a month, and it drove just as badly... Again, I was convinced this was the cost of performance.... the problem with that was it didn't perform worth a crap.

I spoke with several vendors here on Camaro5 and didn't get much in the way of replies.

So, I did a lot of research and ended up calling a Vendor/builder/tuner that worked at a shop that offered several different clutch brands.

We discussed my power level, my driving style, and my goals. Now the clutch I was talking to him about is made in New Zealand I believe... The Mantic.

This thing looks amazing and there were great reviews, but this tuner builder told me flat out it wont hold up to what I was wanting.

He said that the only clutch that would handle my needs was the Street Slayer / RPS from Hendrix. This guy could have sold me a clutch in a minute and made some profit... but he wouldn't do it. He knew it wasn't the clutch application I needed. So, off to talk to Thomas....

Wow, it was expensive... comparatively speaking....

But, I am not afraid of paying for what works so I got a Triple disc based on my current and potential power goals.

Wow, freaking amazing... Drives almost exactly like stock. The pedal feel is simply unreal. The power it will transfer is also to be witnessed to believe it... The release is easy on the leg, and there is no hint of chattering or grabbing or any kind. I used this clutch with as much as 1450 RWHP in standing mile events and it never gave me a single pause or issue. There is now a street slayer in two of our mile cars and we are about to put one in a CTS-V that also runs the mile. The CTS-V guy has a "reputable" twin disc and it let go with less than 500 miles total driving and three passes at the mile. Yes, it's covered supposedly, but what about the labor and drive time lost due to replacing it AGAIN....

I contacted Thomas and RPS and discussed my new build, ~~ 2000 RWHP and 8000-9000 rpm runs. I was told flat out that the triple would not handle that.. So, options were??? I upgraded to a quad disc from RPS/Hendrix, and aint looking back.

We pulled the triple, that still looked amazing and sent it back in to have it rebuilt for sale to someone else. It arrived back at the shop looking like a brand new piece in every way. I found it hard to believe it had been in my car, or any car the way it looked.

I sold it to a friend, and he is likewise impressed with the look. I know it performs so that is not a concern...

Why the novel...

Removing a clutch several times to replace it, even if under replacement warranty ends up costing lost time and effort as well as drive time. I know how painful it is to be at a racing event, and have parts fail. I feel I made a worthwhile purchase regardless of the cost, and the customer service after the sale has been nothing short of fantastic.

The Street Slayer may cost a little more initially, but I do not worry about having to pull it, and send it back, or wait for a warranty replacement piece, and I haven't lost a moment of track or street time due to my Street Slayer. It uses the factory slave with an upgraded bearing, and at my power levels and RPM's, it has never had an issue.

I highly suggest you contact Thomas and see what will fit your needs. Be honest about potential future growth as well. I'm only replacing mine due to extreme increases in power... The triple stood up to everything I threw at it. Thomas will not steer you wrong, whether it's a twin or triple or something else.

This is entirely my opinion based on my personal experience.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
Street slayer all day long and of course some Amsoil Torque Drive oil for smoother shifts
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Driving habits means a lot when it comes to the clutch selection.
Some do fine with the stock clutch at 600rwhp were Some need a twin.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Centerforce DYAD here. Lighter clutch action than stock and holds 615/635 just fine. Very smooth action.

Edit: The clutch gave out after 1450 miles. My advice, stay away from this clutch!

I have a Street Slayer Carbon now. So far so good.

Last edited by Fraxum; 07-01-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Yeah did the ZR1 clutch not happy! Hendrix has a great setup for sure! Monster I can't say anything about it but they have a 4th gen running their clutch that is badass!
Old 11-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
Just installed a mcleod rxt. Pedal is lighter than stock and it is very smooth. Still breaking it in but im sure it will hold my power easily. A member on here has like 1200rwhp and cant kill the rxt.