Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2020, 05:59 AM   #15
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
https://www.salvagebid.com/717671002...evrolet-camaro

https://www.bing.com/search?q=2G1FE1...32fdde61e8ffd6

I put the vin into a bing search, and this is what popped up.

Apparently, the car was sold through this auction site. I'm sure there would be some paper trail as to who purchased it from there. Not sure how things work in Canada, but somehow, clear title in Canada, auctioned to US buyer, they rebuilt it, replaced the BCM where the actual mileage is stored, and sold it as a clean title vehicle?

Options:

1) Crawl out of this rabbit hole, pretend like you never did the search, have this thread deleted and drive the car until the wheels fall off, or trade it in since apparently it has a clear title, you never saw any of this, and ignorance is bliss?

2) Hire a lawyer who will follow the paper trail to the perp that rebuilt the car, rolled back (for lack of better term) the odometer, and sold it as a clear history vehicle. (If you bought the car from a dealer, that dealer either took it in on trade or bought it at auction and may have no clue about this either, as you say, in California the lawsuit state, only the shadiest of dealers would touch it if they knew)

Problem is the lawyer may cost more than you paid for the car, unless they can get punitive damages. Trouble is, those are actually rarely collected as the defendants immediately file bankruptcy, leaving you with the legal bill.

3) Share this information with your lender. I have no idea what they would do with it. They may go the legal route as in option 2, which best case scenario, they win the suit, collect the money and refund you what you already paid them. But you won't get yours until they get theirs, and that car will probably be long gone and have become a beer can or a park bench by then.

It's a bad situation, and obviously there is a loop hole in the title certification of used cars crossing borders. Of course, assuming that what we're seeing on this bastion of truth we call the internet is indeed true.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #16
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Wow, that is ridiculous. I would call an attorney as this should fall on the shoulders of the State that did the theft, salvage & safety inspection. I have bought a few auction cars in NY & been through the process. They should have never retitled this car as clean. Something is horribly wrong here if it went through the dmv, bank, & insurance company with no red flags.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #17
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by riozlander View Post
because in California lawsuit land and land of strict lemon laws if i do not disclose this information on sale of this car i can be held liable for and up to any and all repairs full refund of the car out of pocket etc etc.......

oh and the fact i payed 14,500 for a frame damaged car on a loan that was only approved for clean title cars with less then 70,000 miles car was wrecked at 109k and i might be looking at if my credit union finds out having my car taken and possibly out 10 grand.....

not a fun situation. oh and 15k loan for welding/ fabrocation school for the Aero Space indastry.... lots on the plate and im not hungry
I agree with the others. If Lemon laws are so strict in CA, then call a lawyer.
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:20 AM   #18
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post

Apparently, the car was sold through this auction site. I'm sure there would be some paper trail as to who purchased it from there. Not sure how things work in Canada, but somehow, clear title in Canada, auctioned to US buyer, they rebuilt it, replaced the BCM where the actual mileage is stored, and sold it as a clean title vehicle?

Options:

1) Crawl out of this rabbit hole, pretend like you never did the search, have this thread deleted and drive the car until the wheels fall off, or trade it in since apparently it has a clear title, you never saw any of this, and ignorance is bliss?

2) Hire a lawyer who will follow the paper trail to the perp that rebuilt the car, rolled back (for lack of better term) the odometer, and sold it as a clear history vehicle. (If you bought the car from a dealer, that dealer either took it in on trade or bought it at auction and may have no clue about this either, as you say, in California the lawsuit state, only the shadiest of dealers would touch it if they knew)

Problem is the lawyer may cost more than you paid for the car, unless they can get punitive damages. Trouble is, those are actually rarely collected as the defendants immediately file bankruptcy, leaving you with the legal bill.

3) Share this information with your lender. I have no idea what they would do with it. They may go the legal route as in option 2, which best case scenario, they win the suit, collect the money and refund you what you already paid them. But you won't get yours until they get theirs, and that car will probably be long gone and have become a beer can or a park bench by then.

It's a bad situation, and obviously there is a loop hole in the title certification of used cars crossing borders. Of course, assuming that what we're seeing on this bastion of truth we call the internet is indeed true.
I would take option 3. The lender has a stake in this the same as you do, and they will have the same documentation the dealer provided you--which shows no intent or knowledge on your part. They can then enter the fray and as the "owner" of the title, will go after the folks who set up the fraudulent transaction. Just my opinion.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #19
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
That’s a nightmare scenario. Someone should be prosecuted. But we live in a lawless land now. Every man for himself. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #20
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:

Options:

I don't think Canada factors into this at all. It is just where our cars are built and why it is listed on every report. Looks like this all started in Ohio, then made it's way to California from what I was looking at last night.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #21
acutron42

Your local dmv must have all the records of that car. When a car is sold at an auction branded as salvage it must go through a theft and safety inspection in order to deem it road worthy & get a title transfer. Any new parts must have receipts & body panels must be traceable as well by vin if purchased used. Different states have different regulations as well.

I wish you the best, I hate hearing these stories.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #22
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
GET AN ATTORNEY RIGHT AWAY. YOU HAVE A SLAM DUNK CAUSE FOR THE LITIGATION.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #23
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Quote:

Options:

auto salvage auctions are weird with more and more youtubers doing re builds more of these auctions are starting to share files and compile sales list old and new and some of the info is off or miss matched. my teachers all measured under the hood during lunch the left strut tower is not even with the other and the left side is like 18/64th off from the right side.

i think ill just live with it and drive tell the wheels fall off it. i am as soon as im working and have a little bit of saving going to replace it with somthing with a 3800 V6 in it series 2 supercharged if i can find one. grandpa buick im cool with or a SS2 monty etc etc.i just love GM and big body cars what can i say.

i have a new skill im learning and a chance at making Real money i think option One but change it to a cautionary tale for others to look out for.

is it weird to feel super relived. i will be honest i fell totally out of love with this car 9-12 months ago. i loved when my buddy let me drive his RS v6 6M.
why was mine so meh. did i do that always wanted, finally got, ended up hating it.
i have my A to my Q. i bought a Turd and GM is not at fault nor camaro (thank god)
i still get super excited when I see any 5th gen camaro and try to get closer to see any mods wheels color etc the other person has on their 5th gen.

tho this does leave some options on the table now that this dark past has unfolded. im learning how to build a rollcage and how to Bead roll for structure bracing. Camaro Ute, Mad Max thing ? not like i can tank the resale value anymore
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #24
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
GET AN ATTORNEY RIGHT AWAY. YOU HAVE A SLAM DUNK CAUSE FOR THE LITIGATION.
the one downside, CA has fantastic laws for this stuff your going to be waiting a long time before stuff starts moving, our courts have been backed up for years.
one of the major reasons shoplifting is only prosecuted if theft is over 900$ now. To many crimes clogging the courts here, it is a reason so many lesser crimes or drug offenses went from felony to misdemeanor to ticket to they don't give a F anymore.

i also might have 8 months 1 year left here before i take off to CO for work.
do i want this fight when im about to make a massive change to my whole life move from my home state start a new job in a field I've never done working in Aero Space.
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #25
acutron42

I noticed that you have 2 different vin numbers posted.

https://steadyvin.com/full-view-2G1FE1E38C9170257
thats my vin

this is my car before i got it

http://lease.ly/2g1fe1e38c9120670.html
Old 07-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #26
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
So I just ran the VIN on GM investigate vehicle history. It shows a salvaged title date 8/1/18. GM branded effective 9/7/18.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #27
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
I noticed that you have 2 different vin numbers posted.

https://steadyvin.com/full-view-2G1FE1E38C9170257
thats my vin

this is my car before i got it

http://lease.ly/2g1fe1e38c9120670.html
That doesn’t make sense. How’d the vin get changed and how do you know it’s the same car?
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #28
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
So I just ran the VIN on GM investigate vehicle history. It shows a salvaged title date 8/1/18. GM branded effective 9/7/18.
Well I guess that's that huh. Damn, that sucks.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote