Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #15
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
We are just doing our jobs and trying to keep roads safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BEE View Post
Thank you for putting your life on the line to protect us. I know you don't hear it enough, but we really appreciate it.
Adam statment hit the "nail on the head".....as most of us would agree....

and as 11BEE stated.....I too want to THANK YOU, adn all your fellow officers around the country for the job you do.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
same way planes and copters do it from the sky, they use the painted white line and clock your speed..from stripe to stripe
Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Unless you are trained to in visually calculating speeds then you can't do this. BUT ultimately most departments don't require you to lock in a speed nor is it manditory in Ohio. I am not sure how your state is. So...honestly an officer can just right down whatever he/she'd like. As bad as that sounds...officers aren't just going out there seeing someone obey the speed limits then pulling them over and writing them for 20 over. It just doesn't happen. I think I explained that badly so what I am trying to say is...there is nothing to stop an officer from saying whatever he likes.

Before I was trained in reading speeds visually...if I saw someone obviously speeding but I didn't clock them I would just cite them for 4511.20 -"operating a vehicle with disregard to other persons". Which this is just me saying he was driving recklessly at high speeds. Which this is what most officers would do rather than picking a speed. I still do this even after I've gotted the training to calculate speeds viually. I am not writing a speeding ticket unless I have physical proof and I always lock my speeds in. (I am 21 I am not trying to get myself in a pickle this early in my career)

Trust me no officer wants to get caught in a lie over a traffic ticket in court. We aren't trying to piss people off out there and making up stories which is the popular belief. We are just doing our jobs and trying to keep roads safe.
I understand that most LEOs are trained visually to determine speed but if the offender decided to challenge the ticket, you would have to show proof or how you determined how fast they were going. Even on the roadside we have the right to ask the LEO for the print out (or whatever) of how fast we were clocked at. Perhaps some LEOs do not clock and record a speed but they would lose in court. Always ask to see how fast they clocked you at on the roadside to avoid paying lazy cop tickets.

My bf was a LEO in Tampa and didnt have a speed gun. He would follow right behind the speeder for 1 mile to determine their speed. This is how he was able to record and prove how fast they were traveling. Yes he couldve lied but he couldnt just say "well looked like he was traveling at 75mph but I dunno" wo some kind of proof. GPS in his car couldve determined if he was lying if they really wanted to push the issue.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
same way planes and copters do it from the sky, they use the painted white line and clock your speed..from stripe to stripe
The good ol' eye in the Florida sky!!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #19
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
BUT if I did you sure as hell deserved it.

Anyways I just ticketed a 2011 Inferno Orange SS. So...if you get home and your reading this and you just got a ticket in Warren Co. Please don't go 75 in a 45. Especially on wet roads. I could have easily arrested you there. Jesus Christ.
wasn't me, I win
Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
Globemaster

Drives: 2010 2SS Bumble Bee
You should come down to GA and run I-16 from Macon to savannah. Went to pick up son from college was a guy in a pick-up truck that was flying. The officer clocked him as he went under the over pass he was sitting on. Took the office a good 5 to 10 min to catch him !(I bet he was one mad LEO) He had to be doing well over 100 the limit is 70. Going to cost him well over a thousand dollars for that with the GA super speeder ticket.
Globemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
I'm in your area, and we had so much rain yesterday that going 75 on the expressway probably would have been unsafe.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #22
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Well you could of easily arrested him, so you let him off easy in my opinion. Good job sir !
Now I just wish LEOs in east TN would be as cool as you.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Quote:
BUT if I did you sure as hell deserved it.

Anyways I just ticketed a 2011 Inferno Orange SS. So...if you get home and your reading this and you just got a ticket in Warren Co. Please don't go 75 in a 45. Especially on wet roads. I could have easily arrested you there. Jesus Christ.
Damn, you let him off easy.

Hey I have a quick question would you pull someone over for running green halos in Ohio?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Get them law breakers!!!

I can see in .001 of an inch too. LOL
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BEE View Post
First, Thank you for putting your life on the line to protect us. I know you don't hear it enough, but we really appreciate it.

Second, How do you calculate speed in your head? What is the process?
Thank you!
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
I am trained in calculating speed in my head. A nice perk to new officers in Ohio. Don't need the gun or radar as proof anymore . Though I would never ticket someone without the proof of the radar or lidar. I would just warn them if I wasn't able to lock a speed in.
They can do that in Cali too. I personally think that's such a load of crap. Not that I disagree that it can be done, because it definitely can. But to "prove" someone guilty... I would think you need to video record it as well. Otherwise all it is, is saying "I saw him go from this point to this point in X amount of time". That's not proof, that's one person's word against another. I could just as easily say "No I didn't. Prove it". However, the courts don't feel that way. I'm not saying that it's right for people to be hauling ass whenever they feel like it, but the justice system is designed to "PROVE" that someone is guilty. And in no rational person's eye is that proof without evidence (pictures, video... something).
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #27
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
They can do that in Cali too. I personally think that's such a load of crap. Not that I disagree that it can be done, because it definitely can. But to "prove" someone guilty... I would think you need to video record it as well. Otherwise all it is, is saying "I saw him go from this point to this point in X amount of time". That's not proof, that's one person's word against another. I could just as easily say "No I didn't. Prove it". However, the courts don't feel that way. I'm not saying that it's right for people to be hauling ass whenever they feel like it, but the justice system is designed to "PROVE" that someone is guilty. And in no rational person's eye is that proof without evidence (pictures, video... something).
I do believe an eyewitness account constitutes valid proof.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #28
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Yea he had no respect for others on the road

Great explanations of the reasoning behind all of that. Cops get a bad wrap sometimes, but you are doing your job. I know a few cops that are the nicest guys in the world, but if you speed in THEIR city, you get a ticket. It is the law, and sometimes we dont speed on purpose, but it doesnt really matter.

I never knew the details of the whole guessing what speed they are traveling but you made it clear
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote