Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Shinebrightx

Drives: 2010 Camaro Z/LT RS
Opinions

I'm needing some advice. I'm looking to purchase this 2014 Camaro RS. http://www.jerryduranttoyota.com/use...0206f7f37.htm#
It has 11k miles. They're asking $21,988. Is it too much or a fair price? I wanted to try and talk them down. Already tried at another dealer that was selling another one like this for 23k with 15k miles. They wouldn't budge off the price.
Also, I've never driven a manual before. So I test drove it and the salesman took me to a neighborhood to let me drive it around. It was a little overwhelming but definitely more fun than my automatic. I'm just a little worried about messing anything up. Don't want to have to sink a lot of money into new clutches all the time or damage the transmission.
Shinebrightx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Kbb.com and input the options. I don't buy used from a car lot. Patience pays dividends. Look for a private owner. There's bargains to be had. Wait for the right one. You won't regret that.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
Private owners are usually worse than dealers. I never had good luck dealing with a private owner unless it was a family member or a friend.

The stock clutch on the AY6 is not something you really have to worry about unless you constantly abuse it or increase the power of the engine significantly beyond stock. The shifter can feel a little notchy at times, but it's nothing that a good gear box oil change to something better (like Redline) can't fix.

The price seems fair for the miles, but you can always try chopping them down a little to see what they say. Goodluck!
MikosV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Can't comment on the pricing, but don't sweat over driving a stick - you get used to it a lot quicker than you'd think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
21K for a low miles RS isn't a bad price at all, considering my 1SS with 19,000 miles was 25K and that was pretty much the lowest I could find it.

My 1SS was the first manual car I've ever owned. I've driven a manual truck like twice before I got the car, so I was still deep into the learning curve so to speak. You'll make mistakes, these cars aren't that fragile. Just get use to where the grab point is, release the clutch to the grab point, and start giving it gas while letting out. If you're on flat land this is easy cause the car will start rolling without any power.

It's definitely fun
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Don't worry about the stick shift part, that will come naturally after a short while. Now I'm not the one to be saying stay calm and wait for the right one, cause I'm not that way myself, but you don't always want to jump on the first one that comes along (even though I kind of did), but then I DID need a car right away. If you're not in desperate need of a car immediately, then you have plenty of time to look your choices over carefully and make the right call.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #7
Shinebrightx

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it. I know kbb says it's below fair market value but that doesn't always mean it's a "good deal" so to speak. I'm really not wanting to pay more than $21,000 out the door.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
Pete M
9 Year USMC Vet

Drives: 2014 1LT black on black
A month ago, I paid 20,988 for a 2104 LT, V6, manual NON RS, no frills and 8800 miles.
I still think it was a pretty good deal...
Would gladly have paid the extra 1000 for the RS package, but there was nothing in my area.
Don't sweat driving a manual, with just a little practice you'll be driving it like a pro.
I can't understand buying a car as fun as the Camara and NOT getting it in a manual.
(Especially the V6)
Enjoy!!

Last edited by Pete M; 01-02-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #9
bassplayer92

Drives: 2014 Crystal Red Tintcoat - 2LT
I would like to add to what Hunter said. Be patient - and don't be afraid to be firm, say no and walk out. Go there with the price you want to pay and your monthly payments you can afford in mind. Start lower than that with the dealer. If you can't make the deal on the first day, just say thank you and walk. They know your interested and know how much they can come down.

I was back to the dealer 3 times before I bought mine, dealt with a salesman and 2 different managers along the way. One of the managers even told me they couldn't come down anymore. Because they would be losing money on both cars. The next day I get a call with an additional $750 off the Camaro and $1500 more for my trade. It was a little more per month than what I told them originally but still in my comfort zone.

So in short, be patient. They want to sell you the car more than you want it. They will come back with better offers if you wait.
bassplayer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
Shinebrightx

I already have walked away from one dealership because they wouldn't come down off price. 23k for a 2014 and it was definitely used. The seats were a little worn and key scratches on the outside. So I passed. They didn't call me back, but I'm not upset. I just wanna get a good deal lol
Old 01-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
clashley1976

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS M6
I looked at the link you provided, and I would say that what they are asking is a fair price, but maybe not a great one. Judging from the pictures they posted, they've been holding that car since about August, so if they aren't willing to come off the price any, then they're comfortable keeping it in inventory.

An item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and it seems that dealers are able to sell that car for a similar price to someone (maybe just not you).

One tactic I've found that helps is to come in with your own financing. As soon as the sales manager understands you can hand him a check right away (without having to deal with his finance manager), he may become a little more motivated to move a little to close a quick sale.

All of that being said, if I were you, I'd offer a little over 20K, and be willing to accept thing $21K or less, but that's just me. Good luck!
CAI intake, VTC, VMax PTB, VMax Iceolator, Apex intake scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate
Build Journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419992

clashley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
jos3ywales

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro Black
I gave 22 for mine it had 13K on it pics on my other post. I thought I got a good deal. you ccan look at mine and decide.
jos3ywales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #13
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Are you planning to trade in your 2010? What is a "ZLT" btw?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
jos3ywales

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro Black
mine is a 2SS, and I just bought it, but I get itchy fingers alot. lol and buy and sell alot. I'm always wanting something Diff
jos3ywales is offline   Reply With Quote