Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
LilyAnna

Drives: 2013 Camaro LFX 2LT
HELP! Gas Smell under the hood

Recently got myself a Camaro 2013 V6 LT. Everything was going good until one day I was leaving for work in the morning and my engine could barely start, ran for a few seconds and died. I called the mechanic who was able to get it started (barely kept it running with a strong raw gas smell and white unburned fuel vapor coming through the exhausts).

He drove it to the shop 2 blocks away, the diagnose was:

- 2 stuck open injectors

We changed all 6 of them as we were told the remaining 4 were not in optimal condition anymore and could fail soon.

I got the car back from the shop yesterday morning drove it a bit and all seemed fine, drove it today to pick up some food and got the raw gas smell coming through the vents about 5 blocks away from home, as soon as I got home the car jerked as I was trying to park and started to die on me (strong raw gas smell again, no sign of white fuel vapors this time as of now) I decided to shut it down and haven’t tried to run it again.

Now I don’t believe injectors are the issue as they’re all new. Any ideas? Please be kind, I’ve had the care for barely 3 months and it was my dream to have.
LilyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Any mods done to the car or is it stock?
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
LilyAnna--Modifications can effect the way a car runs and performs. mods, or lack thereof, can determine how to go about diagnosing any given problem. Help us help you>.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
LilyAnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 View Post
Any mods done to the car or is it stock?
Nope, all stock. Apologies for my previous response, I misread your question.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
LilyAnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
LilyAnna--Modifications can effect the way a car runs and performs. mods, or lack thereof, can determine how to go about diagnosing any given problem. Help us help you>.
You're absolutely right, I misread the question. My apologies.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
Camaro2ss2010

New injector could possibly be bad. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen it. If you or anyone you know can lift the fuel rail and turn the key(don’t try to crank the car)on to allow it to build up pressure you may see a leak or stuck injector. I know it may not seem possible since they are new but parts are bad out of the box more than you would think.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:17 PM   #7
LilyAnna

Quote:
New injector could possibly be bad. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen it. If you or anyone you know can lift the fuel rail and turn the key(don’t try to crank the car)on to allow it to build up pressure you may see a leak or stuck injector. I know it may not seem possible since they are new but parts are bad out of the box more than you would think.
We had them tested at injector lab before mounting them and all 6 seemed good but will be checking them tomorrow.

Assuming they're all good what would be your next suspicion? Additional info: the gas smell is coming right through the A/C vents from the engine if you step out of the car you'll also get the raw gas smell right on (pure raw gas smell, no sweet, sour or burnt funky smells). No visible leaks under the car either.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
Camaro2ss2010

Do you see any unburned fuel dripping from the exhaust?
Old 03-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #9
LilyAnna

Quote:
Do you see any unburned fuel dripping from the exhaust?
Not this time at least that I could tell, it did drip before the injector change. I’ll keep ya’ll posted once we try running the engine tomorrow, it was about to stall when we got home today but I shut it down before it did.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #10
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I think we had another member on here with a similar issue.
High pressure fuel pump was the culprit?
Somebody here will have a better memory than mine surely.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:50 PM   #11
LilyAnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Anything helps! Hopefully someone can point me to that post
Old 03-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #12
Camaro2ss2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
This is correct, but I would make sure all injectors are working correctly first.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #13
LilyAnna

Today's update:

We got it to start (no long crank after sitting overnight), but about 2 blocks away it started stuttering and wanted to stall but giving it more gas prevented it from happening. We shut it down almost immediately after that as we were at the shop already, thankfully its close to our home.

Then again we got the strong raw gas smell coming from the vents from the engine and engine wants to stall, no white fumes nor raw gas dripping from the exhaust.

We're yet to have the injectors veredict as we let the mechanic do so since he installed them and we have 30 day warranty, rather let him do it not to mess up with the warranty.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:13 PM   #14
LilyAnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty CC View Post
Certainly sounds like a fuel delivery problem … However I doubt I would start again with the new injectors. Sounds like a computer problem maybe … but I would expect it to be throwing codes like mad... The description of how it runs and when it will start again indicates wet plugs so too much gas ie ..smell and exhaust, trying to start, Starting having sat, … ect. So injectors/check... Fuel pressure?... coil packs?… fuel pump pressure? … Now pull up into the shade and have a lemonade with me.... Hope your car gets better !
Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers hoping its not the computer but like you said we would expect it throwing codes which was not the case

Tags
fuel injection, fuel pressure, gas smell, injectors, rough engine