Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #29
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Reasonable questions. I can’t imagine that sizable, conical filter not doing the job for a DD. Unless you were driving the dusty gravel backroads somewhere as a steady diet.
I like that it's a dry filter and an OEM piece. Just worried that it's a high-flow dry filter that doesn't see the same micropartical filtration as the stock panel filter.

But I do lean towards that one the most

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #30
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I like that it's a dry filter and an OEM piece. Just worried that it's a high-flow dry filter that doesn't see the same micropartical filtration as the stock panel filter.

But I do lean towards that one the most
I’ll admit, I don’t know the engineering behind the system. Tracks kick up a lot of dust and debris too. I thought of using K&N oil on mine but never did. I suppose if you change oil often enough its getting flushed anyway. It’s a dirty world out there, something’s getting in in spite of your best efforts.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #31
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
I got the basic black Rotofab. I’m happy.
If it added any HP I definitely didn’t notice.
Does sound different...the intake sound..not exhaust
Attached Images

Last edited by Joecruiser; 01-22-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #32
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Just a +1 on the OTR Vararam Ram Air system if you've got an older 11, or a 10. This isn't the prettiest box, but is got to be the most functional... something that's sure and proven to provide good gains.

Ram air is a straight shot into the intake manifold.... with a tune so the MAF don't go crazy, its top notch.

The tune version of the Vararam with a 102 TB (BBK) and a 102 Intake Manifold (Fast) for best results, I reckon...
Attached Images

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #33
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
I’ve had both CAI Inc & Roto-fab. If you get the CAI Inc. kit in Black it looks really nice. I have always had a preference to Roto-fab.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #34
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
is it me or does it look out of place with the washer bottle sitting in the middle of the box/filter on those roto CAI. it looks clean until you see the filter and then you have this out of place ugly look washer bottle just sitting there. did they leave it there becuase it channels the air flow better into the filer. lol
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #35
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrz187 View Post
is it me or does it look out of place with the washer bottle sitting in the middle of the box/filter on those roto CAI. it looks clean until you see the filter and then you have this out of place ugly look washer bottle just sitting there. did they leave it there becuase it channels the air flow better into the filer. lol
CAI and every other intake that uses that location will have the same issue. Rotofab and a few other companies make relocation kits for the W/W bottle though if it bothers you. I'm debating moving mine while I have the bumper off, I'll probably just wait until I do a cam swap.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #36
Mr2Hard2See
Instagram: Mr2Hard2See

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS
When I bought my cai it was used so for $160 it’s a better look and may help with my combo of parts for hp gains. Plus I’m an engine bay nut so I like cool details not a bunch of stock bulky plastic’s under my hood
Che bronze trunnion Ls3 timing/valley cover
Dod/vvt delete Dsx e85 Dsx aux fuel pump Id1050x injectors ZL1 fuel pump, Griptech 2.55 pulley, Solo performance Mach ll 2.5 catback exhaust 1 7/8th Lt headers
Mr2Hard2See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #37
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
The water bottle don’t bother me...in fact, it’s convenient to refill.
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #38
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecruiser View Post
I got the basic black Rotofab. I’m happy.
If it added any HP I definitely didn’t notice.
Does sound different...the intake sound..not exhaust
Not long after the ZL1 was released in 2012 and Roto-Fab engineered this product, several independent shops were dyno testing it. It averaged a 20-25rwhp gain and as an added bonus, really made the blower whine! When my Dad stands on his ZL1, it really makes that Eaton sing!

On an NA engine, a cold-air intake will only gain ~5-7rwhp. It's such a miniscule amount, that it wouldn't be felt.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #39
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
The CAI seemed to put down the best power gains for us time and time again on the 5gen Camaro. The differences between all the models is pretty minimal however so pick the one you think looks the best. Also, you want a system that is quality. CAI and Roto-Fab and a piece of cake to install with no fuss or fighting with them to fit. We still have some race scoops left for the best power gains possible and washer bottle relocation kits.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #40
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Based on posted dyno #s from non vendors the z/28 put down the best numbers. Like others gave said I think Creeper posted them.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #41
Gonzo SS

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD DAB View Post
No knock on the Vararam, I just like the look of the C.A.I. intake.
Looking good Dab! Where'd you get that radiator cover?

Gonzo SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #42
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Based on posted dyno #s from non vendors the z/28 put down the best numbers. Like others gave said I think Creeper posted them.

The Z/28 is so efficient that anyone racing the Pirelli World Challenge was required to restrict the opening to the size of a quarter.
They also had to replace the c/f brakes with steel.

And that is why there are no new Z/28s.