Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #15
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Guys, lets not lose sight of the fact that I'm not *considering* doing this as an investment. Returns are not a concern. Big losses are a concern. But 5 or 10, or whatever number of years down the road if I decide to convert the silver back to dollars, I just want a little re-assurance that I'm going to get the larger % of my initial dollars back.
There is no such re-assurance.

Google is your friend here... look up one of the three billion charts of the historical price of silver. You will see that there are plenty of 5 and 10 year periods where a person would have lost money. Sometimes big money.

Of course you can make big money, too, but that is not the point. It sounds like you are looking for safety and investing in silver is not that. It's price is just as volatile as anything else.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:46 AM   #16
SS/RS2010

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Investing is like gambling. Never spend more money than you can afford to lose.
SS/RS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:06 AM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Thanks guys...all good stuff. Appreciate it.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:50 AM   #18
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
if you are buying coins, rather than bullion, you are investing in the numismatic value (addition to metal content), you will pay a premium for that and then you "hope" that numismatic value increases over time...so with coins you have to know what you are doing.

the plus side to American coins like the gold eagle, is that they are very trusted, if you are trying this strategy of yours to hedge against a monetary collapse, then some sources of coin and bullion may not be trusted, i.e. people will question gold content etc.

if you are buying these coins from family or friend, I personally would not unless they are American coins...too many fake chinese pandas etc.

p.s. i am by no means a numismatic expert...or a financial one.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #19
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
When you don't have to ask anyone if it's a good investment, then you're ready to decide what to do. (Due diligence)

In case of total collapse, an ounce of salt, or an ounce of vegetable seeds could be more valuable than an ounce of gold.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:21 AM   #20
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
How are you planning to keep them safe? The bad thing about storing bullion at home is it is one more reason to steal from you. What will you do if the Feds outlaw private bullion ownership like they have in the past?
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #21
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
When you don't have to ask anyone if it's a good investment, then you're ready to decide what to do. (Due diligence)

In case of total collapse, an ounce of salt, or an ounce of vegetable seeds could be more valuable than an ounce of gold.
Of course...in the case of an absolutely devastating economic breakdown and large scale depression......this is not planning for something like that. God help us that something like that does happen.

By the way...these coins would be 99% pure bullion coins.

Anyways guys, I think I have what I need at this point. Not saying I'm going to buy them, but I appreciate the input.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #22
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post

Gold has never been worth nothing, ever. While you are correct that in total collapse seeds (probably not salt lol) may also be used for trade some sort of currency will fill the currency void.

The US economy is a total farce. The "recovery" was nothing more than inflating the economy with trillions more debt in the form of fiat currency.

Ignore me. I'm wearing a tin foil hat. I also love saying I told you so.

Keep gold on hand. Good points about trusted gold content too.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #23
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skogen View Post
Problem with holding actual silver or gold in any form is the conversion to cash. As others have said, there is a cost to do this transaction.

Not to mention the quality of product you are purchasing and how pure it is.

On the other hand, you can engage a broker that can buy you shares of a gold or silver ETF within the stock exchange. It is ALOT safer then trading it on the commodity market. No more worries about conversion to cash cost except the brokerage fee which should be cheap, no more worries about storage or quality of product you are buying either.

Hope that helps.
Don't do this^^^^

The reason to hold physical Gold or Silver is to protect yourself against fiat currency not to try and make a profit by selling it and converting it back to worthless paper that can be worth nothing one morning when you wake up. It's happened many times before don't think the US is immune from such a thing. Trusting some brokerage firm with your money and that your share is something of value is just as risky as buying any other fund. Has everyone forgotten the housing bubble of 06-07? Wall street is a den of thieves.

Want to make more paper money? Play the stocks and bonds, or work for it. Want to insulate yourself from fiat currency and the debt based economy? Hold physical gold and silver. Again the points people are making about verifiable and trustworthy coinage are sound ones.