Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012BLKSS View Post
Any vendors out there sell moly lighter weight cradles? Looking into Weight reduction items, figured cradle weight savings would be substantial.
If you are serious about wanting to replace the cradle you need to call Craig at Xtreme Innovations and Fabrcation as he has an awesome setup and he did my cage, suspension and front cradle. If you really want to save some weight in the front he a full cradle and spindles etc for the front that will save 170lbs. Saving weight in these cars is not cheap but for the quality of the parts I think it is very fairly priced and why I went with Craig. Here are some pics of the front cradle in my car.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
If you are serious about wanting to replace the cradle you need to call Craig at Xtreme Innovations and Fabrcation as he has an awesome setup and he did my cage, suspension and front cradle. If you really want to save some weight in the front he a full cradle and spindles etc for the front that will save 170lbs. Saving weight in these cars is not cheap but for the quality of the parts I think it is very fairly priced and why I went with Craig. Here are some pics of the front cradle in my car.
That looks pretty cool. How much is that thing? I'm gonna guess it's more than $1800...
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
That looks pretty cool. How much is that thing? I'm gonna guess it's more than $1800...
Nope actually $1800 which I think is a great deal for the quality and weight savings. Craig is SUPER talented and each piece is hand made by him to ensure perfection. Craig also built me the custom rear end setup to fit my 15" wheels and save a ton of weight as well in the rear also.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #18
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Nope actually $1800 which I think is a great deal for the quality and weight savings. Craig is SUPER talented and each piece is hand made by him to ensure perfection. Craig also built me the custom rear end setup to fit my 15" wheels and save a ton of weight as well in the rear also.
Yeah. Oops. I just noticed this was the same company that was mentioned above.... Looks like great quality stuff though...
Old 08-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #19
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Watch the sub-frame in this crash test video.

Why would you remove a crash tested OEM sub-frame from a street driven 5th Gen for a well made shop piece that saves weight but has not been crash tested? There are three possibilities for performance of a tubular replacement cradle in a severe crash it does the same or better than the OEM or it does worse. In a race car with a cage and harness it is a different deal completely.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #20
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Why would you remove a crash tested OEM sub-frame from a street driven 5th Gen for a well made shop piece that saves weight but has not been crash tested?
Because race car! Not every 5th gen Camaro is a daily driver with a couple of bolt-ons and a set of lowering springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
We are planning to build both tubular front and rear cradles for the Camaro at an affordable, reasonable price. It will be a while before they are ready because it is going to take quite a bit of engineering and time to produce and test good quality parts that we are willing to put the BMR Suspension name on.
Looking forward to seeing them.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
2012BLKSS

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
That looks amazing! Did you get the rear cradle also?
2012BLKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #22
JusticePete

Chase I understand it with a race car. I get it.

How many of the people posting in this thread are building dedicated race cars?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #23
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Chase I understand it with a race car. I get it.

How many of the people posting in this thread are building dedicated race cars?
Does it matter? It's their money lol.

And maybe they just wanna shave some weight for better gas mileage lol
Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
If I had an outfit that made such mods I would also test them for safety, but let's say it is as safe then honestly that reduced weight in front would mean even better turn in performance, or maybe I could just remove the AC since I don't use it anyway.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #25
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
If I had an outfit that made such mods I would also test them for safety, but let's say it is as safe then honestly that reduced weight in front would mean even better turn in performance, or maybe I could just remove the AC since I don't use it anyway.
Correct.
Yes you could.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #26
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
We are working on coming out with some unique and innovative products for the new Camaros so the rest of the year should be pretty interesting.

I'm interested in a cradle. I was looking at getting the Extreme version. Can you give me an approximate ball park as far a time line?
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #27
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
A rear cradle sure would be interesting if it saved weight, and came with all aftermarket goodies to make it much better.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #28
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
I'm interested in a cradle. I was looking at getting the Extreme version. Can you give me an approximate ball park as far a time line?
It will take a bit of time till we have them available because there will be a lot of engineering and testing on these parts so we can make sure we provide you with the best possible parts we can. I would hope to possibly have a couple prototypes before the end of the year and maybe available for sale early next year. Unfortunately tubular front and rear cradles are not an easy part to build so it is something that can't be rushed. What I can tell you is that when they are ready you will be getting an awesome part that will be more affordable than the other options out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
A rear cradle sure would be interesting if it saved weight, and came with all aftermarket goodies to make it much better.
We agree 100%
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote