Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Minge

Drives: 2013 2SS
Cheap insurance or pissing money away?

I am about to put the car away for the winter and I only put 1500 miles on it this season. I have always changed oil with Mobil 1 and put a fresh napa platinum oil filter on before putting it away. I have typically put 3000 on per summer but this year it just did not happen. Is. This excessive and spending money I do not have to by changing out full synthetic Mobil 1 and a high quality oil filter with just 1500 miles on it?
Minge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
I like to change my oil and filter when the computer tells me too. One year maximun between changes. Has it been a year since last oil change? Then you are wasting your money.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
I would not change it unless the Oil Life Monitor says to.

You have low miles on that oil and little chance for corrosion problems. Get the engine good and hot on a long drive first then put it away. Long drive gets any condensed moisture out of the oil so there is less chance to develop acids during storage.

JMO.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
When I stored my '97 Z28 I changed the oil when I took it out in the spring not in the fall. It also had very few summer miles on it.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I did my 8th oil & filter change with mobil1 yesterday.
That's 8 changes in 5 years/35,000 miles.
Cheap insurance IMO for a car that sits and gets little use.
My computer said 75% remaining before yesterdays change.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
I like to change mine every 3-5k miles.

But IMO if you have less than 3k miles on the oil change and something is in your oil that is going to cause corrosion while sitting over winter, you have far worse problems to worry about fixing.

Also, why not start the car up every week or two and just let it warm up and run, it keeps all the parts from sitting in one spot, circulates the fluid, coats everything in oil again and evaporates any moisture.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
myold88

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
I like to change mine every 3-5k miles.

But IMO if you have less than 3k miles on the oil change and something is in your oil that is going to cause corrosion while sitting over winter, you have far worse problems to worry about fixing.

Also, why not start the car up every week or two and just let it warm up and run, it keeps all the parts from sitting in one spot, circulates the fluid, coats everything in oil again and evaporates any moisture.
^^^^^ Not a good idea. Most mechanics will tell you to let it sit. My antique cars have always sat months in the winter.
Springtime, charge the battery, start it up, change the oil, and your all set.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
JakesRJT

Drives: 2011 Camaro 3.6L V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
^^^^^ Not a good idea. Most mechanics will tell you to let it sit. My antique cars have always sat months in the winter.
I'm not doubting what you're saying... just curious as to the logic behind this...
Old 10-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
myold88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakesRJT View Post
I'm not doubting what you're saying... just curious as to the logic behind this...
A mechanic I worked with at a Chevy dealer always said: "One of the worst things
you can do to an engine is start it up". Just think of it- Ice cold block, low initial
oil pressure, etc.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Minge

Drives: 2013 2SS
I have had summer toy cars for the better part of my adult life. Old american muscle to current days cars and my program consists of the following.

Change oil, top off the gas tank with non oxy premium fuel, pull my good set of tires and rims and put the stocks on and inflate to 5-6 pounds over so I do not get flat spots. Put a battery tender on the car, put dryer sheets in the trunk, engine compartment and cabin to keep mice out. Store in a heated space cover it and forget it. This has worked well for me.

I think I am just going to change the oil it is a 70.00 piece of mind thing. I appreciate everyone chiming in...love this forum you people rock.
Minge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:

Not great advice. First off, get yourself a battery tender... don't wait till it is dead and then charge it. Bad for the battery. It is never optimum to let a car sit for very, very long periods. Fire her up, drive her down the driveway, let it sit and idle... heck, run her around the block a few times if you can (in Texas, we don't have "weather worries").

I've had every muscle car over the years you can think of (well, almost), over 80 cars in my days. I'd caution against just letting the sucker sit if you have the ability to fire her up every few weeks instead.

As for changing oil "early," since an oil change is probably the number one most important long-life-creator for an engine, it's cheap insurance all the time.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #12
myold88

^^^ Not great advice ?? I guess my master mechanic friend (for 30+ years) was wrong In your opinion...
Notice said "etc".. lots of other things you can/should do but I was only talking about just starting up a stored car.
Again, opinions vary.
Crazy how no matter what you say here, some yahoo will chime in and tell you your wrong.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
This is to simple , just start the car once week let warm up then when spring comes get the car up to operating temp and change the oil and filter .
Old 10-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
^^^ Not great advice ?? I guess my master mechanic friend (for 30+ years) was wrong In your opinion...
Notice said "etc".. lots of other things you can/should do but I was only talking about just starting up a stored car.
Again, opinions vary.
Crazy how no matter what you say here, some yahoo will chime in and tell you your wrong.

Yes, in my 30+ year opinion I feel that is not the best advice. My opiinion - the longer a car sits, the more chance of issues on it later. Seals dry out, etc. I'd much rather flow the system periodically in my beasts as I've done in my 30+ years building, collecting, and tinkering with cars.

Also, a battery tender is far better for the battery than letting it sit and then having to actually charge it later. I started using tender's years ago on my Harley's and started using them on the cars as well (have two on them right now). Maintains good overall battery health.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote